Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Build me a motor for an f1a

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post is getting out of control . I just want an 8sec car on pump gas lol. I have had both d1 an f1a on my same 376. D1 seemed to run out up to for me. I'm just lookin for right motor.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'm certainly not trying to call out a guru here, but do you have any evidence to substantiate that claim?
its not a claim... its a centrifugal compressor... it has a compressor map just like any other centrifugal compressor... What TURNS it has NO bearing on where the wheel moves the most air efficiently. Take a look at any compressor map... and look at the shape of the right side of it.... If you are looking for the maximum mass flow from the wheel... there is a certain pressure ratio you have to get to in order to obtain that. IF the pressure ratio drops below that... actual mass flow drops off and it makes less power.

Hell up until a while ago... A lot of the blowers where sourcing impeller wheels from turbo companies and just machining the wheel to fit on the blower shafts...lol
Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

There are no larger blower maps published from I have have seen. If there is post it

A blower is actually much simpler than a turbo. You dont have a turbine playing with VE. And shaft speed is known 100%

If anyone has a map for a larger blower post it and we can plot it for different engines

But you can look at any map and gain general characteristics

I am on my phone. I will try to put together a an example here
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LJMSJohn
its not a claim... its a centrifugal compressor... it has a compressor map just like any other centrifugal compressor... What TURNS it has NO bearing on where the wheel moves the most air efficiently. Take a look at any compressor map... and look at the shape of the right side of it.... If you are looking for the maximum mass flow from the wheel... there is a certain pressure ratio you have to get to in order to obtain that. IF the pressure ratio drops below that... actual mass flow drops off and it makes less power.

Hell up until a while ago... A lot of the blowers where sourcing impeller wheels from turbo companies and just machining the wheel to fit on the blower shafts...lol
Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

you guys are taking my post none of this is what I was asking.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CyaPussy
you guys are taking my post none of this is what I was asking.

It is what you were asking. You asked for someone to build you a motor for an F1A, and we're discussing the benefits from different strokes and different displacements, and flow characteristics to best take advantage of the F1-A.

What rotary and LJMS was stating is that the blower has a specific efficency based on both rpm, and backpressure. So if it's too low, you'll make less power, too high, again, the same.

I guess that's why Procharger specs the engine HP range for them.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
It is what you were asking. You asked for someone to build you a motor for an F1A, and we're discussing the benefits from different strokes and different displacements, and flow characteristics to best take advantage of the F1-A.

What rotary and LJMS was stating is that the blower has a specific efficency based on both rpm, and backpressure. So if it's too low, you'll make less power, too high, again, the same.

I guess that's why Procharger specs the engine HP range for them.
Bingo.

We can control the shape of the curve with how we build the motor... but the efficiency of the unit comes down to how much air mass the engine consumes.... versus how much air mass the blower puts out. Thats what controls the pressure ratio that the wheel sees.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 370 tfs235 heads, holley hi ram intake, ljms cam, procharger f1a on 19psi pump gas car weight is 3700. The car should go 8s on pump gas. The dyno graph ljms posted is my car.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:39 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I've seen compressor maps for Vortech superchargers before, but not for Procharger. I don't think many of us have put much thought into why a specific sized engine works better with one unit compared to another. This thread is actually quite helpful in understanding "why" better.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:35 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by stmz28
I have a 370 tfs235 heads, holley hi ram intake, ljms cam, procharger f1a on 19psi pump gas car weight is 3700. The car should go 8s on pump gas. The dyno graph ljms posted is my car.
We are actually in each other's back yard. I'm in Buckingham/Doylestown.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CyaPussy
This post is getting out of control . I just want an 8sec car on pump gas lol. I have had both d1 an f1a on my same 376. D1 seemed to run out up to for me. I'm just lookin for right motor.

STMZ28's car will go 8.90's the next time it goes to the track on pump gas...

Build a copy of his combination and yours should go a couple tenths quicker given the fact you are 300 pounds lighter than he is.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

That cars is flying with the weight an power it has to me just doesn't compute in my head.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Going to a track rental sunday at cecil so we will see
Old 10-29-2014, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stmz28
Going to a track rental sunday at cecil so we will see
That's cool Cecil is 45 mins from me. I was sayin with your old set up is crazy time an mph for what you have. I have a 376 with basic parts stick car though to but it shows no where near the power of your car an mine is lighter.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So all supporting parts being equal, a 370 with an f1a will et better than a 408 with an f1a?

I've been doing it wrong for a long time.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:59 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess what I'm getting at is this:

If you guys "in the know" are right, how is it you can even remotely suggest a ci range given that you acknowledge these maps are not published?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not as simple at 370 vs 408. It's how much air can a given engine consume. It may just be that all else being equal a 370 and 408 both sit within the acceptable areas of the super secret compressor map. One will possibly allow the compressor to sit at a higher efficiency meaning low IAT's and more CFM.

As a theoretical example: All else being equal minus stroke
A 370 allows an F-1a to run at 73% efficiency
A 408 allows an F-1a to run at 68% efficiency

Chances are the extra cubes will outweigh the 5% lost at the compressor.

As a theoretical example: Different motors completely except bore
A 370 allows an F-1a to run at 73% efficiency
A 408 allows an F-1a to run at 60% efficiency(maybe due to different heads or cam)

It is possible that the 370 would produce more power. Low end tq probably not.

It is literally the exact same thing as matching a compressor wheel to target power goals. Centri companies just take some of the complexity out and say “use this charger for a given N/A hp range” rather than providing a compressor map. While also hiding the actual compressor efficiency ratings of their compressors of course.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=656

If you look at a vortech compressor map, it is much wider than a turbo which allows a much wider range of engine combos than a single turbo would.

To the OP: I would personally run the 370. Keep the piston higher in the sleeve and reduce piston velocity.

Last edited by Exidous; 10-30-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

So let me continue this discussion and ask this question. All else being equal, cam, heads, intake, exhaust, piston bore, and blower speed, but the only variable being the stroke, by going from the 3.625 to the 4.000 would allow the motor to ingest more air with each event, which would then lower your boost pressure on the blower at all rpms. Isn't less pressure on the blower also decreasing the force required to turn the blower? As the boost pressure goes up, you have a more dense air charge, which adds additional load onto the blower, which then increases it's parasitic loss.

That's the big argument turbos guys make against a blower is that it robs horsepower to turn the blower.

So back to the example above. We have 2 motors, identical in every way except for the crank stroke. So the 416 at 6800rpm might see 12psi of boost, while the 370 at the same 6800rpm could see 16psi of boost. Isn't that 4psi difference going to change the parasitic drag on the blower?

I'm also confused as to why you have the bigger cube motors having the blower run at a lower efficiency. I understand the compressor maps, but as the rpms change, so does the spot in the compressor map, so with a bigger motor, you simply get into the same pressure range later in the rpm window than with a smaller motor.

Again, without seeing the maps for their efficiency, it's a guess. I'm going to stop over at the Procharger booth next week at SEMA and talk to them about my plans, and see what they say with what crank stroke to go with based on my desires with the car. Hell, maybe I'll pull the trigger on a F1-A-94 while I'm there. I'm sure that will work well with a 416.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have nothing to back this up but I think the difference in load based on 12 ro16 PSI is negligible unless you are in a surge area of the compressor MAP. I am certain that you are right in that it does matter, I'm just not sure how much.

Using your/our example, stroke increase only, a decrease in PSI would happen but so would an increase in CFM. Lowering your pressure ratio and moving your flow to the right. Which if you are the left/surge side of peak efficiency it might move you into that peak efficiency. However if you are already far to the right/choke it may move you into the areas where efficiency plummet(IE a way oversized motor).

All of this is of course min/maxing and is only REALLY important for the folks that are class racing or trying to get every last ounce of power. Given how wide the maps are on these centri's, as long as you are close, it should be good enough. Certainly not as critical or picky as using the right turbo.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exidous
I have nothing to back this up but I think the difference in load based on 12 ro16 PSI is negligible unless you are in a surge area of the compressor MAP. I am certain that you are right in that it does matter, I'm just not sure how much.

Using your/our example, stroke increase only, a decrease in PSI would happen but so would an increase in CFM. Lowering your pressure ratio and moving your flow to the right. Which if you are the left/surge side of peak efficiency it might move you into that peak efficiency. However if you are already far to the right/choke it may move you into the areas where efficiency plummet(IE a way oversized motor).

All of this is of course min/maxing and is only REALLY important for the folks that are class racing or trying to get every last ounce of power. Given how wide the maps are on these centri's, as long as you are close, it should be good enough. Certainly not as critical or picky as using the right turbo.
Think this is how I see it bigger motor won't have to work as hard to make more power. But the main concern is which will be faster down the track.

Quick Reply: Build me a motor for an f1a