Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS 408 Vega 88mm Street tuning with video

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reason I ask- that sure looks like bangerter highway. Especially considering you said 4500ft elevation. Love to check out the car.

If you are in fact SLC local.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
Where are you located?
I am in the South Jordan area of the valley.
I took the car out for one last drive a few weeks ago and it is hitting about 17 psi in drive when the load starts to come on it. I do not have much timing in it yet so it had zero knock. I am looking forward to Spring time.
I have ordered my SFI 3.2/5 suit and gloves so hopefully by Spring I will be ready to make a pass in it.

That was Bangerter Highway between 90th and 98th South. Good eyes.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I'd love to check out the car some time!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool car! Howdy from up north in Ogden.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. Good to see some local people on here. I plan on racing the car at RMR in the Spring.

Hope to get the chassis re certified this winter and I have all of my fire safety gear that is arriving daily...early Christmas present to myself.

I am looking forward to racing the car with an automatic as my C6ZO6 I race out there once in a while is a stick car.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

I got the chassis certified and the NHRA inspector recognized the car from the previous owner. He said "that car has an excellent chassis" which made me feel better about my purchase. It was also a chrome moly roll cage so that was good.

I will be taking it out for my license passes this coming weekend on a test and tune event at our local track. Two half passes, two moderate passes and then two full passes. I am hoping to get at least half of them done.

I put a small hit of nitrous to help with the spool but I tried it on the transbrake this past weekend and it does not need the N2O hit when it is on the brake. The small hit works good from a roll so I will keep it on for now as it is only on for a second or so.

As I have never ran it for a full quarter mile so I have pulled some timing out of it to be safe as I am not sure what the intake temps will be or boost will be at the end of the track. I am planning on about 17-18 lbs of boost with 10 degrees timing with some methanol being sprayed using 91 octane. (4500 ft elevation premium fuel)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by meatheadgn
I got the chassis certified and the NHRA inspector recognized the car from the previous owner. He said "that car has an excellent chassis" which made me feel better about my purchase. It was also a chrome moly roll cage so that was good.

I will be taking it out for my license passes this coming weekend on a test and tune event at our local track. Two half passes, two moderate passes and then two full passes. I am hoping to get at least half of them done.

I put a small hit of nitrous to help with the spool but I tried it on the transbrake this past weekend and it does not need the N2O hit when it is on the brake. The small hit works good from a roll so I will keep it on for now as it is only on for a second or so.

As I have never ran it for a full quarter mile so I have pulled some timing out of it to be safe as I am not sure what the intake temps will be or boost will be at the end of the track. I am planning on about 17-18 lbs of boost with 10 degrees timing with some methanol being sprayed using 91 octane. (4500 ft elevation premium fuel)
Schweeet, take some video for us!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I will try to talk someone into taking some videos for me. I have a Replay XD that I may try to stick somewhere inside the car. I tried that with my LS6 Cobra and it worked really well to find a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Qc...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-15-2015, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

At your altitude, and you having less available air mass it will lower the amount of cylinder pressure you make versus the same identical combination at sea level.

With that said, you will able to run more timing than the same combo at sea level.

I wouldn't be too bashful with the timing, but starting out small and working your way up is always better than starting out too strong and hurting parts.

Good luck with the license passes!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Martin. Good points. Hopefully I can get some decent seat time under full throttle in Drive so I can get some IAT and AFR logs and adjust from there. I figure I can take it up a degree at a time and leave the boost where it is for now. I am afraid that the car may be a handful under a transbrake launch from a dead stop.

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
At your altitude, and you having less available air mass it will lower the amount of cylinder pressure you make versus the same identical combination at sea level.

With that said, you will able to run more timing than the same combo at sea level.

I wouldn't be too bashful with the timing, but starting out small and working your way up is always better than starting out too strong and hurting parts.

Good luck with the license passes!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

I made all six license passes yesterday. The brakes worked great and the car went straight. I was not able to build any boost off of the trans brake as I took the nitrous bottle out as I was afraid I may not pass tech with the two power adders. I should have brought it with me as the car was very lazy.

On 15 psi of boost and conservative timing it ran 146-147 mph trap speeds in 5500 ft DA air. I was shifting it at 6300 rpm for the test passes. On one pass it gained 37 mph between the eighth and the 1/4. The other two passes were +31 or so.

The Afr looked good and there was no knock on any of the passes.

I would like to adjust the tune for better spooling or maybe just get a yearly tech inspection next time and use the nitrous for the launch.

Overall, I was disappointed in the 60ft and full pass times but glad everything on the car worked so well.
I will start to add some power to it now that I have some passes on it.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure that you have at least 28-30* timing up to 105 KPA. I would have 32-34* in it up to 85 KPA as well.

I don't start pulling any timing on my tune up until 6psi, meaning I run full 28* timing up to 6psi. I run C16 though so I wouldn't suggest this on your tune, but you being at altitude and cylinder pressure being lower I bet you could at least have 24-26* timing in it up to 3-4psi. Remember that there are N/A LS engines that make upwards of 575-600 ft/lb tq that run 26-28* timing so IMO there is no reason you cannot either when your engine is generating similar cylinder pressure and torque output. Timing is relative to cylinder pressure and your timing and fueling curve should reflect your torque curve.

Check your fueling as well and try to implement a progressive fuel enrichment curve. I've got my tune set-up on my car to command 12.2-12.4 AFR up to 6-7psi. I've still got to clean up my tune after that point as it goes pretty rich to 11.0-11.2 until I shift at 7000-7200rpm and the AFR stays there. Just haven't had time to do that yet as I've been working on getting the power to come in quick enough first.

My car woke up immensely when I started giving it more timing down low and as boost ramped in. Think about your boost curve and engine RPM as your cylinder pressure curve. As boost ramps in and RPM climbs up to the point peak torque is made cylinder pressure will be rising. At the RPM peak torque is generated cylinder pressure will flat line. Then as you near peak HP RPM it will begin to fall off as torque output falls off.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Martin. I will copy down your post and take it back home and look at my tune closely. Based upon previous conversations I have about 28 degrees in it under 100 Kpa but I can't remember what the curve looks like after that other than when it is getting over 5 psi I start to back the timing out of it and give it more fuel.

I was happy with the car at low boost and timing and I am looking forward to a hard launch and upping the boost some..

Thanks for your assistance.

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Make sure that you have at least 28-30* timing up to 105 KPA. I would have 32-34* in it up to 85 KPA as well.

I don't start pulling any timing on my tune up until 6psi, meaning I run full 28* timing up to 6psi. I run C16 though so I wouldn't suggest this on your tune, but you being at altitude and cylinder pressure being lower I bet you could at least have 24-26* timing in it up to 3-4psi. Remember that there are N/A LS engines that make upwards of 575-600 ft/lb tq that run 26-28* timing so IMO there is no reason you cannot either when your engine is generating similar cylinder pressure and torque output. Timing is relative to cylinder pressure and your timing and fueling curve should reflect your torque curve.

Check your fueling as well and try to implement a progressive fuel enrichment curve. I've got my tune set-up on my car to command 12.2-12.4 AFR up to 6-7psi. I've still got to clean up my tune after that point as it goes pretty rich to 11.0-11.2 until I shift at 7000-7200rpm and the AFR stays there. Just haven't had time to do that yet as I've been working on getting the power to come in quick enough first.

My car woke up immensely when I started giving it more timing down low and as boost ramped in. Think about your boost curve and engine RPM as your cylinder pressure curve. As boost ramps in and RPM climbs up to the point peak torque is made cylinder pressure will be rising. At the RPM peak torque is generated cylinder pressure will flat line. Then as you near peak HP RPM it will begin to fall off as torque output falls off.

Quick Reply: LS 408 Vega 88mm Street tuning with video