Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Filter or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Air Filter or no?

Ok, got the turbo mounted up in the Nova but in order to keep the hot side pipes in front of the belt, it caused the front of the turbo to be about 2.5 inches away from the core support. I could cut a hole in the core support and that would give me enough room to put about a 6 inch long cone type air filter on it. Otherwise I could leave it and the core support would block anything from going in the turbo, just no filtration. Help me decide what to do. Thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First things firsts.....

Junkyard motor or fancy built one?

Junkyard= turbo guard screen. Lookem up they are like 25 bux and a nice little deal.

Fancy built motor= cutting a hole time. Idc what ppl say I have seen and heard others talk about the subject and just a season of run time and minimum miles on the setup and the cylinder walls were trashed.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

IMO most screens are junk and restrict the turbo more than a tiny filter. The pleats in an airfilter allow alot more filter area than you'd think. Even a very small filter is better than most screens.

Id' always run a filter of some sort. JY motor or not, a decent turbo isn't cheap!

Last edited by Forcefed86; 11-11-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a track only car, or you are going for dyno bragging rights, you can go with no filter.

If you plan on driving it on the street and care about it lasting, you need to go filter. As previously mentioned, even though people think a screen flows a lot, it actually is more restrictive flow wise than an air filter (not the mention is doesn't protect your turbo from dust, and very small debris). Trust me, if you drive the car on the street, these elements will be out there. Its up to you to decide if you want the filter to catch it, or if you want it ran through your high dollar turbo that was not meant to ingest it.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Ok, got the turbo mounted up in the Nova but in order to keep the hot side pipes in front of the belt, it caused the front of the turbo to be about 2.5 inches away from the core support. I could cut a hole in the core support and that would give me enough room to put about a 6 inch long cone type air filter on it. Otherwise I could leave it and the core support would block anything from going in the turbo, just no filtration. Help me decide what to do. Thanks guys.
Photos?
There was no way to fit a filter on my Nova, unless it stuck out through the grille.

I did this, yes its a small colander.......

This is how close my turbo is to the core support

I'd rather have a filter.......

Ron
Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Id cut the support and put a filter on it for street and take it off at track.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=RonSSNova;18521293]Photos?
There was no way to fit a filter on my Nova, unless it stuck out through the grille.

I did this, yes its a small colander.......

This is how close my turbo is to the core support

I'd rather have a filter.......

Ron[/QUOTE
I can't for
Can't figure out how to post pics, but my turbo air filter flange was about 2.5 inches from the core support. I could get a filter roughly 5-5.5 inches wide the most. I ended up making another turbo bracket that moved the turbo further back. It basically mounts just in front of the forward most exhaust port. This will allow much bigger filter. Just have to redivide the hot side piping now. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car actually made a little more horsepower with the air filter on it. This was with a little mpt 70 at 12.5psi or so. I would have to dig up the sheets but I think it was around 15rwhp. It's a 10" long K&N. Don't know if it was because 3/4 of the filter was in the inner fender or if it smoothed out the air or what but that's what I observed.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your running the street I would run filters. I've run 7.2's over 200 mph with air filters on.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airaid makes a clean one.
Attached Thumbnails Air Filter or no?-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Air Filter or no?