Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Undecided on what to do here

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Undecided on what to do here

I was goning to drop 15k in my WS6 . I was goning to build a supercharged 408 . But on the spur of the moment, I started looken at new camaros .lol 😁 Would u build a monster 👾 or would u buy a new 1LE Camaro? I just can't decide if I can go through seeing my ws6 being sold to another person . The wife said if I get one the other has to go . So what to do . What a delima here
Old 11-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drive the 1le camaro 1st. When the new camaro 1st came out, I loved it, was gonna buy one, then I drove it. I didn't like the way I sat so low in the seat. No matter where I positioned the seat, I couldn't get comfortable. I am voting for the monster build on the current car.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Don't dump 15K into an clapped out F-body - limited resale value (smaller market for people who actually find that car appealing).
While I'm not the biggest fan of the new style Camaro (never been my kind of car) ... You'd be miles and dollars ahead with one of those in comparison to an old **** Trans-Am. LS3 - add some boost, get some suspension bits along with some decent rims/tires - you've built a car far superior to an F-Body that still has a better retail/resale value.
My $.02
Old 11-24-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
I was goning to drop 15k in my WS6 . I was goning to build a supercharged 408 . But on the spur of the moment, I started looken at new camaros .lol 😁 Would u build a monster 👾 or would u buy a new 1LE Camaro? I just can't decide if I can go through seeing my ws6 being sold to another person . The wife said if I get one the other has to go . So what to do . What a delima here
I'd find a new wife.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Teching In

I just dumped more than 15k in my f body ... haha. Go for it!

-Tyler
Old 11-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

I'll get the new one!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:01 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

It's simple, do you want a nicer car or a faster one?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

While I follow the logic on value the new car is going to eat up at least 10k in depreciation pretty quick if you buy new. Why not just throw a d1 or Huron AC kit on your stock motor and ride that for a while? Faster than new and not a 15k pit.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
While I follow the logic on value the new car is going to eat up at least 10k in depreciation pretty quick if you buy new. Why not just throw a d1 or Huron AC kit on your stock motor and ride that for a while? Faster than new and not a 15k pit.
^^^^^the 1le looks real nice but the question is is your trans am more than just a car sounds like it is if you can't see selling it. Call huron speed and keep your bird.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 11-24-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have a Novi 2200 supercharger.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

This is my thought on the old vs new debate. I always wanted a new Camaro after I saw one online. I bought a used 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 with 10,000 miles on it. I loved that car! It was awesome. What wasn't awesome was letting it sit in the garage for 6 months out of the year while I made payments on it. I live in North Dakota so it sat for a long time during the winter. I did drag race it a lot in stock form at the local 1/8th mile and had a lot of fun.

What I didn't like was the feeling that I needed to keep it pristine and I didn't want to ruin a new car by modding it. I spent more time washing it then driving it.

I bought my buddies 1997 Camaro SS when he got orders overseas and didn't want to take it with him. Once I had two Camaros I decided to sell the new one and put my monthly payment towards building the 1997. I have learned way more building my 1997 Camaro then I did from washing my 2010 Camaro. I like the fact that i'm not worried to tear into the 1997 and put a new engine/transmission and soon a turbo kit on it. Also, when it sits for 6 months out of the year with no payment it doesn't bother me.

Sorry for the novel, but that's my take on it.
Attached Thumbnails Undecided on what to do here-old-new.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

I have a 13 camaro 1le. I really enjoy the car as a whole. Drives nice, feels nice and solid. Handles like a ****.

BUT

If you want to build a monster or even just something nasty, better have large pockets.
Ask me how i know.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

I think many have already hit the main points to consider.

I will add this;

I was in a similar delimma a couple years ago. I loved the new Camaro's. I drove one and really loved the way it drove and handled and felt. I loved the design both inside and out. But I have owned my old LT1 Camaro since it was practically brand new and couldn't get over the same thought of someone else owning it. At the same time, I didn't have the pockets for both. I was faced with a decision if I wanted speed making my ancient LT1 car fast, or something new. I decided in the end that I would rather have a very fast car rather than a new car. The feel of what I hope to accomplish (near 1,000 RWHP) will put a smile on my face and a satisfaction a new Camaro never could without a very substantial amount of $.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many people (Myself included) take pride in a car that you build from the ground up and drive around. That is more important to me than anything. The knowledge gained is also priceless. Anyone can fork $500 a month and drive a sports car around...boring. I could easily afford to be driving a brand new ZO6. But I decide to motor swap everything I own with LS motors and make them original. Its awesome to be different. When your old as *****, then buy a brand new sports car and say forget wrenching.

I have way more respect for someone that builds cars rather than just buys cars.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I bet I can talk you into keeping the old one! shoot me an email at casey@huronspeed.com and we'll talk about how to spend half of that 15k and put a real big smile on your face!

-Casey

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 11-25-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

I would take that 15k and make it fast and replace everything that needed to be replaced to make it like new (speakers, recover the seats, new window switch panels, etc. Pretty much anything that commonly goes bad on our cars)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I am gona finish what I had started .lol full steam ahead !

Quick Reply: Undecided on what to do here