Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1000hp guys What intercooler do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My IAT with the cx intercooler and meth 19 psi were 77 deg on the dyno making pulls that's with no air flow like you would receive going down the track or cruising the streets
Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run the CX 4" intercooler but cut the end tanks off and made my own to distribute more evenly and has 3.5" inlet/outlets. The pressure drop is not much but I do run dual methanol nozzle's.
I run 5.21-5.28 at 138mph in the 1/8th at 3450 raceweight and 20lbs of boost.

It works.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tvanlant
What are the core dimensions?
20" L x 8" H x 6" W

2350cfm
Old 12-11-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Buy the most efficient IC you can afford.

Just because someone went 7's on a **** intercooler doesn't make it "less shitty". It means the rest of the combo was spot on, they had enough turbo to overcome the pressure differential, and their fuel was good enough to stay clear of detonation at their compression ratio. You'll still make more power per pound of boost with a better core. Put a nice Garrett core on Marks mustang and I'll bet his traps speed goes way up at the same boost level.

Going from the typical Ebay A2A 4x32x12" core to the 1200hp treadstone equivalent made a big difference on my combo. IAT's went from upper 160's to high 140's at 19psi. (sitting at 120+ in the staging lanes)

The pressure drop across the core dropped significantly as well. I know this because I was running an overly tight converter (on a 4.8) and could not make over 3-4 PSI on the trans brake. I installed the TS 1200hp intercooler and went form an LS1 to LS6 intake. With no other changes I was able to make as much boost as I wanted with no other changes to the tune. Not the best example since I changed intakes as well, but below 4k the LS6 and LS1 intakes are almost identical.

I picked up 4mph with an intake and intercooler swap at the same boost level (18lbs) with 2* less timing.
Agreed.

Ideally, you want a core that has the most flow tubes with a relatively short tube length. More tubes means more "area" so less pressure drop. Also, the shorter tubes lead to less pressure drop.

This intercooler is used by many high hp race cars:

http://www.stevemorrisengines.com/st...tercooler.html
Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Assuming the fins are equally efficient is LxHxW an accurate way of comparing ICs? Mainly in regards to comparing horizontal(cx 31x12x4, 24x12x4 core) and vertical IC(cx twin inlet 24x10x3.5 core)
Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The fins/cores aren't equal thats the whole issue.

Ive used the China, Treadstone, and Bell core units. You get what you pay for with this with each one offering improvements over the other.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tanus
Assuming the fins are equally efficient is LxHxW an accurate way of comparing ICs? Mainly in regards to comparing horizontal(cx 31x12x4, 24x12x4 core) and vertical IC(cx twin inlet 24x10x3.5 core)
No. You need to consider the area of core the air has to flow through. So on your horizontal flow 24x12x4, you only have 48 square inches of area (12x4). But on your 24x10x3.5 vertical flow core, you have 84 square inches of flow area (24x3.5). In addition, the horizontal i/c is requiring air to go through a smaller area that is over twice as long as the vertical flow's. (24" length vs 10" length).
Now there are many other factors, such as tube size within the core, fin density, etc.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Treadstone here
Old 12-12-2014, 08:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERSLYR
My IAT with the cx intercooler and meth 19 psi were 77 deg on the dyno making pulls that's with no air flow like you would receive going down the track or cruising the streets
Totally useless information if your spraying meth on your IAT sensor. Saturated sensors report false low IAT temps. Even the best A2A IC's are only around 75% efficient at removing heat. If the saturated IAT reading represented the actual air temps, it would make meth/water injection alone more efficient than the best intercoolers. If that were true, we could remove the IC’s and pick up tons of power! Unfortunately it’s not true, and a good intercooler will make more power every time.

Intercooler is rated by the pressure drop across the core and how efficient it as at removing heat from the air charge. The CX IC does a poor job at both. Regardless of its price or what people have managed to run with one. I'm sure Larry Larson could install a CX IC and run a 6 second pass. That doesn't make it a good intercooler!

Bottom line is It’s better than nothing if you can’t afford a good IC. Same goes for a Treadstone unit VS something like a Garrett.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Totally useless information if your spraying meth on your IAT sensor. Saturated sensors report false low IAT temps. Even the best A2A IC's are only around 75% efficient at removing heat. If the saturated IAT reading represented the actual air temps, it would make meth/water injection alone more efficient than the best intercoolers. If that were true, we could remove the IC’s and pick up tons of power! Unfortunately it’s not true, and a good intercooler will make more power every time.

Intercooler is rated by the pressure drop across the core and how efficient it as at removing heat from the air charge. The CX IC does a poor job at both. Regardless of its price or what people have managed to run with one. I'm sure Larry Larson could install a CX IC and run a 6 second pass. That doesn't make it a good intercooler!

Bottom line is It’s better than nothing if you can’t afford a good IC. Same goes for a Treadstone unit VS something like a Garrett.

Not totally useless I was just stating with meth and that intercooler that's what my IAT reads, my meth nozzles are located 15 inches down the intake pipe from my sensor. Yes it may read a little lower than actual iat is but I can't see it being that far off as the air moving the mist of meth at 19 psi the sensor would not be saturated. All I'm saying is for the money it works well and most people are running the intercooled meth combo for the money I would save id invest it to the chassis to get the power to the ground
Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 AM
8 Second Club

Not totally useless I was just stating with meth and that intercooler that's what my IAT reads, my meth nozzles are located 15 inches down the intake pipe from my sensor. Yes it may read a little lower than actual iat is but I can't see it being that far off as the air moving the mist of meth at 19 psi the sensor would not be saturated. All I'm saying is for the money it works well and most people are running the intercooled meth combo for the money I would save id invest it to the chassis to get the power to the ground
The temperature your IAT is indicating isn't anywhere near the temp of your charge air. IE it's not good clean data and shouldn't be used to represent/compare anything. Aux inj. only drops the charge temp. a small amount. The majority of its benefits take place in the CC, not from cooling the air charge as many think.

"Works Well" ? Compared to nothing at all, sure! It doesn’t work well compared to a properly spec’d Garrett core…or even a TS core. Not trying to argue, just state facts for people looking to buy an intercooler. Someone not knowing any better would read this thinking the CX intercooler is great… when in fact it isn’t
Old 12-12-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Viperslyr: Id be real interested to see what your iat is without spraying meth. I have almost the same setup as you, but on a stock 6.0 bottom end. I have seen the cx intercooler and the price is tempting. But I think I am going to spend the money and get a Shearer Big *** intercooler.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Viperslyr: Id be real interested to see what your iat is without spraying meth. I have almost the same setup as you, but on a stock 6.0 bottom end. I have seen the cx intercooler and the price is tempting. But I think I am going to spend the money and get a Shearer Big *** intercooler.
If there wasn't snow all ready on the ground here I would go make some street pulls and just out of curiosity I could take a temp gun and shoot the piping pre and after intercooler before meth nozzles and just see what those temps are. It's not the most accurate way to see how efficient the cx cooler is for lowering temps but it would give a rough idea
Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Buy the most efficient IC you can afford.

Just because someone went 7's on a **** intercooler doesn't make it "less shitty". It means the rest of the combo was spot on, they had enough turbo to overcome the pressure differential, and their fuel was good enough to stay clear of detonation at their compression ratio. You'll still make more power per pound of boost with a better core.
Agreed.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:17 AM
8 Second Club

FWIW I log pre and post intercooler and have seen over 100* temp drop and 1.5-2 PSI drop through my treadstone
Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by samdogmx
FWIW I log pre and post intercooler and have seen over 100* temp drop and 1.5-2 PSI drop through my treadstone
very cool! At what boost level and what were the temps?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

If there wasn't snow all ready on the ground here I would go make some street pulls and just out of curiosity I could take a temp gun and shoot the piping pre and after intercooler before meth nozzles and just see what those temps are. It's not the most accurate way to see how efficient the cx cooler is for lowering temps but it would give a rough idea

Thats cool, we got snow here too. I think the pressure drop will be the biggest problem for our supercharged cars, the temps aren't as bad as the turbo cars. I am planning on running meth with it anyway, but plan to tune it without the meth incase it doesn't work for some reason.

How often are you changing belts on your setup? Iam running the ecs ysi 10 rib with their alternator relocation kit. PITA part was that the alternator didn't fit and Ihad to use a cs130 instead. Also using a madman manual rack and electric water pump, so the belt is real short. Cant wait to finish it up
Old 12-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Launching!

That's very minimal boost loss im curious on temps to that is awesome
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM
8 Second Club

very cool! At what boost level and what were the temps?
23ish psi with the 370" motor, but there was also some water/meth added to the mix so that may not be 100% accurate

however I ran the new motor (427") with no water/meth and saw about the same temp and pressure drop at only 13 psi. I suspect the temps to get a lot higher and the intercooler will lose some efficiency once I turn the turbos back up with the new motor.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Thats cool, we got snow here too. I think the pressure drop will be the biggest problem for our supercharged cars, the temps aren't as bad as the turbo cars. I am planning on running meth with it anyway, but plan to tune it without the meth incase it doesn't work for some reason.

How often are you changing belts on your setup? Iam running the ecs ysi 10 rib with their alternator relocation kit. PITA part was that the alternator didn't fit and Ihad to use a cs130 instead. Also using a madman manual rack and electric water pump, so the belt is real short. Cant wait to finish it up
PM sent

Quick Reply: 1000hp guys What intercooler do you run?