Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1998 Firebird forged 370, Lil john cam and billet 76mm, T400

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 1998 Firebird forged 370, Lil john cam and billet 76mm, T400

I will post up picks as I move along. This will be a slower build due to my work schedule.

I just got the car today and a nightmare so far. I will post up the story later.

I need to get the interior out for its appointment at Straightline performance in January. Getting a cage and mini-tubs. Next will be a tube front end from the strut towers forward.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm car looks familiar
Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Were you an owner. Got it yesterday and drove it a mile and will not start again. Not sure what is up.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIAmotorsports
Were you an owner. Got it yesterday and drove it a mile and will not start again. Not sure what is up.
Nope, just looks familiar
Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car still wont start. Most likely cam sensor. Bad news is not sure what I got engine and transmission wise. The 21k that was spent on the car was 8-9yrs ago and the receipts only show a callies crank and LQ4 block bought in 06. Nothing FRESH about the car and from what I can tell. Was suppose to have a callies crank and rods with ARP stuff throughout. As far as the tranny no idea there either. Text go from 20-30 passes and a few miles to, never drove the car on the street , to it has to be something simple to get it to start because it was drove all over the place for months.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:37 PM

Default I owned the car

I owned this car the car ran and was put together perfect. Suspention was tuned in to the tee trans and trans brake worked excellent motor had tons of power rear was built ran 10.89 consistent all paper work was from thunder racing and all 20k was complete from them might wanna figure out more about the car before bashing a guy that had nothin to do with it. Doug is a great guy I would work with him any day of the week
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turboss camaro
I owned this car the car ran and was put together perfect. Suspention was tuned in to the tee trans and trans brake worked excellent motor had tons of power rear was built ran 10.89 consistent all paper work was from thunder racing and all 20k was complete from them might wanna figure out more about the car before bashing a guy that had nothin to do with it. Doug is a great guy I would work with him any day of the week

That 20k is not on the car maybe 4k of the 21k is still on the car. The receipts have nothing to do with the current build. Block, rods, shocks and torque arm are about it as far as receipts. I am not bashing him but stating fact. How many passes total on motor. How long did you own it, did you have the motor and tranny built.

I am here stating what happened and have the frickin text to prove what he said and didn't say. I have the receipts that show someone spent a lot of money 8-9 yrs ago. I have receipts for **** that have absolutely nothing to do with the car as it sits today.
I guess you and everyone else who responded feel it is OK to not disclose problems till after you get paid, make deals to do something.....get paid then NOT do what was agreed upon.
I have no idea how he has treated you but what does that have to do with me.

Also, this is a build thread.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the whole car is going to be apart anyway for the new build. Shouldn't be too difficult to chase any gremlins. I highly doubt that Doug would intentionally mislead you though. Anyway, Sounds like a healthy build though. What heads are you going with? What fuel? I'm doing a forged 347 with an s478 on it
Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by F110Mech
Sounds like the whole car is going to be apart anyway for the new build. Shouldn't be too difficult to chase any gremlins. I highly doubt that Doug would intentionally mislead you though. Anyway, Sounds like a healthy build though. What heads are you going with? What fuel? I'm doing a forged 347 with an s478 on it

I wasn't going to tear anything apart. My plan was to get all the chassis stuff this offseason add a 2 step and drive it to the track. Next December do the turbo kit and electronics.

I get you guys defending him but he absolutely said he would have the new dash in. It was not. His excuse was we had been talking about doing a cage so he figured I could have whoever does the cage install the dash. By the timeline of the text, the dash should have been in for 2 weeks before we really got into the cage thing considering he had the car for 3 weeks and the deal to fix it was BEFORE I paid. Also, he didn't even have the dash to fix it so how was he going to do it??? He send me a used dash pad and that was it, no dash because he didn't have one. So how can u say u just thought I would have the chassis guy do it.

1)Maybe he forgot he didn't have the title, 2)maybe he forgot the car doesn't start well in the cold and needs the ignition switch to be turn back and forth to get it to start (his fix was just don't drive it in the cold), 3)maybe he forgot that 3/4's of the receipts were for parts that were not on the car, 4)maybe he forgot to tell me the car had an open exhaust a headlight that wont go up and blinker that doesn't work, window and door lock switches that don't work (the car was no actually ready for the street) , 5)maybe he forgot that he drove the car on the street for months instead of never like he told me (that's why he didn't think to tell me about the exhaust?), 6)maybe he forgot to buy a dash and install it...decide that someone else could do it then forgot to buy the parts and ship it with the car

Well if he unintentionally forgot to do all those things, I formally apologize.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIAmotorsports
I wasn't going to tear anything apart. My plan was to get all the chassis stuff this offseason add a 2 step and drive it to the track. Next December do the turbo kit and electronics.

I get you guys defending him but he absolutely said he would have the new dash in. It was not. His excuse was we had been talking about doing a cage so he figured I could have whoever does the cage install the dash. By the timeline of the text, the dash should have been in for 2 weeks before we really got into the cage thing considering he had the car for 3 weeks and the deal to fix it was BEFORE I paid. Also, he didn't even have the dash to fix it so how was he going to do it??? He send me a used dash pad and that was it, no dash because he didn't have one. So how can u say u just thought I would have the chassis guy do it.

1)Maybe he forgot he didn't have the title, 2)maybe he forgot the car doesn't start well in the cold and needs the ignition switch to be turn back and forth to get it to start (his fix was just don't drive it in the cold), 3)maybe he forgot that 3/4's of the receipts were for parts that were not on the car, 4)maybe he forgot to tell me the car had an open exhaust a headlight that wont go up and blinker that doesn't work, window and door lock switches that don't work (the car was no actually ready for the street) , 5)maybe he forgot that he drove the car on the street for months instead of never like he told me (that's why he didn't think to tell me about the exhaust?), 6)maybe he forgot to buy a dash and install it...decide that someone else could do it then forgot to buy the parts and ship it with the car

Well if he unintentionally forgot to do all those things, I formally apologize.
Sorry if my post made it seem like I wanted a run down of what happened from your perspective. See how easily miscommunication can happen?

My comment about tearing the car apart came from you saying that you were doing mini tubs, a cage, and a tubular from end from the strut towers forward. The car would be pretty far apart and easier to troubleshoot than a fully assembled car.

I would make a list of all of the little things wrong and knock them out while you have it as far apart as you're going to take it. Do you know what heads/fuel you're using?
Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car will be apart at Straightline. I have not been able to drive it yet so I haven't been got an idea yet of issues. Main list minimum is have shocks tested and get new springs since they are 9 1/2 yrs old, headlight motor, driverside window switch, PDL switch, fuel sending unit, get the speedo fixed, retune the car, exhaust, new seats, rear blinker, passenger side headlight top painted and installed, Ligenfelter 2 step, get a smaller hood, move the shifter back because it is hitting the dash. I may get a TCI outlaw shifter because It has a better button and I need to take the shifter out to move it anyway.

93 octane fuel till turbo is on then e85. Ported 317's after the turbo is on. No point in swapping heads till I change the cam.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like it'll be a fun car when it's done. Proven go fast combo
Old 01-04-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My wife has all our stuff from the move on tables for a yard sale so I only have about 700sq ft to use in my 3900sqft shop LOL<br/>pic is of one side

Got the interior pulled for Straighline.

Going to lower the shifter down so the rachet part goes below the bezel.

Scraped all the seam sealer to get ready for the mini tub.

Literally all the room I have to do this. I got to get all the yard sale crap gone ASAP Before it gets back from Straightline.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gettting an auto console and dropping the shifter down the same as my old Firehawk, I need a new lid anyway. Not broke but out of squished out of shape.

Air/Air intercooler 3 1/2in in and out. Two cores thick, it is large.

two step and blow off valve

Meziere water pump with an fittings. Need to find a good radiator do put some fittings on now.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Griffin makes a dual pass radiator specific for standing it up in an ls1
Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the part number is in one of the stickies.

Should be a solid build. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am tubing the front so I can really use just about anyone I want. I will look at the griffin. I am going to add so -an fittings as well.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

You can order the Griffin with -an fittings already welded on it.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lsx1
You can order the Griffin with -an fittings already welded on it.
Nice, I will get to looking.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got me a holley dominator EFI system for $1389.00 for AMAZON est. ship date Feb 22. Hope the freakin weather is better next Friday while I am getting my car to Straightline.

Quick Reply: 1998 Firebird forged 370, Lil john cam and billet 76mm, T400