Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trans cooler and intercooler on 67 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans cooler and intercooler on 67 Camaro

I am redoing my setup on my 67 Camaro: putting a new S476 turbo and a new cam from Martin (Tick).
As the turbo is bigger then the old one, i have to remove the trans cooler from between the inercooler and radiator, to set the radiator more in the front.

I see that 68-72 Nova owners often put remote trans coolers behind the tank in the rear, but that is not possible in the first gen Camaro.

Do you have any ideas where this cooler could be installed and which one do you use?

Here is a pics of my actual setup:
Intercooler, transcooler and radiator.

And here is the new turbo in the engine bay:

I need to move the radiator as much as possible to the front to get more place for the piping...

As I have the RS front, I don't have any place anymore in the front for the cooler, otherwise the light doors will not open anymore. Ii is already very tight with the intercooler.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:10 PM
8 Second Club

I run a trans cooler under the car right under the driver seat with a shroud/fan as well in my Nova.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply.
Would you have a picture of the cooler mounted?
Do you use it with the cooler integrated in the radiator, or only the iar cooler? Are your cars used on the street or only for drag racing?
I thought about putting one between the transmission and the frame, but this place is not very wide, which model do you use?
Old 01-04-2015, 04:07 PM
8 Second Club

Sorry I couldn't find a nice picture. I made some standoffs so it has a nice air gap from the floor. I do not run the lines through a rad they are AN lines right from trans to cooler. Mostly a street driven car.

Cant remember the exact model I grabbed but it is like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELUXE-OIL-COOLER-TRANS-TRANSMISSION-COOLER-DESERT-RACE-TRUCK-PRERUNNER-RV-/301134162426?hash=item461cfea9fa&vxp=mtr
Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Mounted mine above the rear differential on my Chevelle
Old 01-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks, don't hesitate to send me a picture if you have the opportunity to make one.

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
I Mounted mine above the rear differential on my Chevelle
Thats a good idea to, I will have to check it there is some place here on my car and if the exhaust is not too close. My first idea was just in front of the fuel tank, but I have the fuel filter and fuel pump here which don't let enough place for a cooler.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know everyone has highly varying opinions on the inner wheel wheels especially on a street car, but have you put any thought into simply removing the wheel well to allow the turbo to be positioned back further and leavening your trans cooler where you already have it? that's what I did.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sixleaker

I know everyone has highly varying opinions on the inner wheel wheels especially on a street car, but have you put any thought into simply removing the wheel well to allow the turbo to be positioned back further and leavening your trans cooler where you already have it? that's what I did.
For the moment, I would prefer to keep the wheel well, in case I have to drive in the rain. I don't know if I could cut into them and weld some sheetmetal to make it smaller and get some more place for the turbo. I will have to check the clearance between the weel and the inside of the wheel well...
You engine bay is realy clean looking, do you have a build thread with more pictures? I would also be interrested in pictures of the river side exhaust manifold. What kind of steering gear are you using? Is it a manual?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gui67
You engine bay is realy clean looking, do you have a build thread with more pictures? I would also be interrested in pictures of the river side exhaust manifold. What kind of steering gear are you using? Is it a manual?
Thank you. I do have a build thread over at the bullet....http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=773370

the drivers side manifold is from a fwd Pontiac g6. it was recommended to be by LS1nova a member of the bullet and this site. I originally had plans for power steering as that is what manifold he runs to clear the power box, I have since then switched over to a manual pox.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have mine mounted between rear seat and drivers seat underneath at a slight angle to try and catch more air. I dont have a pic. Its the b@m super cooler. I have a build thread in conversion section. I run same intake as u are. My motor is set back to almost fire wall to give me a little more room to make first bend off of throttle body.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

I wish I could help with the trans cooler location, but on my '72 Nova, w/ '68 Camaro tank, I put my ebay cooler/fan between the tank and license plate under the trunk.

But I was interested in your rear end that you have a picture of over on your build on YB.
Who built your rear end?
Mine looks just like yours except for the back bracing integrated with the u-bolts and spring perches on mine.

Quick Reply: Trans cooler and intercooler on 67 Camaro