Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Recommendations for twin turbo oil drain lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommendations for twin turbo oil drain lines

Got a somewhat unique setup here and I'm looking or some opinions on the best route/material for running my oil drains.
The turbos sit atop LS7 manifolds so the straightest route to the oil pan would be between the runners on the manifold and the head. It's a tight fit. Here's a crappy pic of what I'm talking about:

I have a pair of -12AN stainless lines that are the perfect length to get from turbo to the pan, and I talked to a tech at DEI which recommended using a reflective tape inside a fire sleeve as double protection from the manifold. The manifolds are double wall stainless and will also be coated with High Temp Cerakote coating inside and out. Do you guys think this will be sufficient to keep the oil line from melting? My next option would be to run a hard line in the same location with the same heat insulators. My third/final option would be to run a less efficient line down and around the manifold on the outside which may nearly double the length and cause it to have a poor slope approaching the pan. Let me know what you guys think. This'll be going on a hot rod/weekend cruiser.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

At that height, I'd almost just run them to the valve covers...
Old 01-04-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Valve cover
Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

I never even thought of that, always heard of people running them to the oil pan. So you can just tap the valve covers all the same? My thinking was the super hot oil would be bad up top, and is better to mix with the rest of the oil to quench it.
Thanks for the suggestion, that simplifies it a bunch!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Valve cover for sure!
I run extremely low mounted turbos and still empty into the valve cover using a scavenge pump.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't the LS style heads known for not draining oil efficiently? I could have sworn I've read a few threads talking about this. Actually I know I've read a few threads regarding this issue. The road course guys complained about this a lot. If that is the case than I would venture to say running your oil drains into the valve covers is a bad idea.

Besides the the guy above me how many of you are actually running valve cover drains?

Last edited by oscs; 01-05-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

I didn't see if these were ball bearing or not but if the turbos are they use very little oil. Drain back shouldnt be a problem at all. Even if these are journal, only one is draining into a single valve cover.
Road racers are constantly seeing g forces that are physically holding oil up in the heads. It isn't necessarily the drains that are the problem.

I have two ball bearing turbos draining into one valve cover and have had zero issues. Catch can on that side has never puked any more oil than the other.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirebirdSS
I didn't see if these were ball bearing or not but if the turbos are they use very little oil. Drain back shouldnt be a problem at all. Even if these are journal, only one is draining into a single valve cover. Road racers are constantly seeing g forces that are physically holding oil up in the heads. It isn't necessarily the drains that are the problem. I have two ball bearing turbos draining into one valve cover and have had zero issues. Catch can on that side has never puked any more oil than the other.
Right, I get the G force idea. I've just always heard the heads don't flow oil back to the sump as quickly as they should. They seem to be working for you (BB anyways) just seems like something to stop and think about before doing. Personally with two big journal bearing turbos the idea scares me a bit. Although that's not saying much as I side on caution often.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I am concerned about the heads draining properly, but the APS twin kit runs both turbos back to a single cover also. And considering the other option of squeezing past the manifold, I think I'll give it a shot, keep an eye on the catch can and if it doesn't work I'll give something else a try.
Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Also, they're journal bearing turbos for now.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I would also go right to the valve covers. Ive run twin journal bearing rear mounts that drained to one valve cover via a scavenge pump and never had an issue.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTO Eric
I would also go right to the valve covers. Ive run twin journal bearing rear mounts that drained to one valve cover via a scavenge pump and never had an issue.
That's good to know for future builds.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Just drain them into the valve covers.

If you're that concerned about drainage inside the covers, extend a tube down towards the pushrod area at the high points in the head so hopefully most oil will simply run down into the lifter area, rather than accumulating at low points in the head and then draining away.

For heat and the drain, just make the drain in steel until well past the manifold
Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what chassis is that going in? I also don't see any issues draining into the valve covers.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Its going in a 1947 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. I'm planning on going into the valve covers, one to each. It'll only be a ~8" run. is any spot better than another? I was thinking about running them along the outer edge to clear the oil baffle on the underside, but I was thinking the oil may flow better if I pointed it closer to the lifters. I will put them toward the front half of the motor to keep the extra oil further from the PCV vents that I'll be running to a catch can.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by glitchz71
Its going in a 1947 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. I'm planning on going into the valve covers, one to each. It'll only be a ~8" run. is any spot better than another? I was thinking about running them along the outer edge to clear the oil baffle on the underside, but I was thinking the oil may flow better if I pointed it closer to the lifters. I will put them toward the front half of the motor to keep the extra oil further from the PCV vents that I'll be running to a catch can.
Really isn't going to matter much. Just make sure everything is clear. I did put mine on the opposite side of the baffle intake. But thays really just where it was convinent..
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Id' also vote valve covers. When in doubt... K.I.S.S.

Clean up the oil drain locations on the heads if your worried about it. I've seen several builds do this just to help with drainage in general.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for twin turbo oil drain lines