Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lets talk big turbo, 6 speed, and spooolllll

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk big turbo, 6 speed, and spooolllll

Im in the process of getting my parts together to build a rear mount setup on the C6. The car is an 05 with a brand new LS3 and a spin monster cam, and the drive train out of an 08 Z (tr6060). Im going to keep the spin monster cam 230/234 .613/.598 114 + 2 The goal until I build the motor is 650-700whp on E85. (the fuel system is already done and has been running on e85 since the new motor).

The turbo is a forced inductions billet S480 92 1.25 T4. Im using factory C6 manifolds with 2.5" vbands welded on. 2.5" to a Y then 2.5" all the way back to the turbo. 2.5" back up to the ic. The hot side will be double wrapped, manifolds coated and wrapped, the exhaust housing coated, and a turbo blanket.

Ive searched for days and all I seem to find is "they spool great", "faster than you'd think" but I dont see any dyno sheets, or logs etc. Im hoping someone has first hand experience with something similar.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to see how this setup works for you. The S480 should be a beast. Have you read "Zombies rear mount turbo saga" thread on this site? He shared a ton of knowledge. There is a lot of what doesn't work, it should help you from repeating the same mistakes. Sometimes it's about what you shouldn't do, instead of what you should do.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unnatrl
I'm curious to see how this setup works for you. The S480 should be a beast. Have you read "Zombies rear mount turbo saga" thread on this site? He shared a ton of knowledge. There is a lot of what doesn't work, it should help you from repeating the same mistakes. Sometimes it's about what you shouldn't do, instead of what you should do.
Yes, Ive read his thread probably 10 times haha. This isnt my first rear mount car either, so I know the technical aspects for the most part. It would just be nice to see something pretty close turbo and engine size on paper.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate that! My rear mount build emulates a few that have been successful, but I still can't find enough info about it. Have you considered a quick spool valve? I think it would work really well on a 6 speed car. Squeeze performance is making a very nice piece. I don't think they are available yet, but they are worth the wait. I have seen one in person and was very impressed. If you are close to having the car on the road I would contact them and ask about it.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unnatrl
I appreciate that! My rear mount build emulates a few that have been successful, but I still can't find enough info about it. Have you considered a quick spool valve? I think it would work really well on a 6 speed car. Squeeze performance is making a very nice piece. I don't think they are available yet, but they are worth the wait. I have seen one in person and was very impressed. If you are close to having the car on the road I would contact them and ask about it.
They have definitely crossed my mind but I don't want to run one unless I need to. If I can see full boost around 3500-3700 I'll be happy. Pretty sweet car you have btw. My friend Jeff has a GMW also. Pretty stout setup (nitrous)
Old 01-05-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSxG35
They have definitely crossed my mind but I don't want to run one unless I need to. If I can see full boost around 3500-3700 I'll be happy. Pretty sweet car you have btw. My friend Jeff has a GMW also. Pretty stout setup (nitrous)
Thanks. It's been a pain in the *** & there is still a lot left finish!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Seems like it should spool pretty quick. Cam/turbo combo are the ticket to getting a quick spool even with a 6 spd. I'm no turbo cam expert, but it seems reasonable for the setup. Call liljohn and tell him what you're putting together and get his $.02. He's a good guy to get info from.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ProStick
Seems like it should spool pretty quick. Cam/turbo combo are the ticket to getting a quick spool even with a 6 spd. I'm no turbo cam expert, but it seems reasonable for the setup. Call liljohn and tell him what you're putting together and get his $.02. He's a good guy to get info from.
I spoke to him and he seems to think it will spoil awesome and have 1:1 back pressure.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

what rear gears are you running?

I think the turbo might be a bit more lazy rear mounted but that will work in your favor hooking the power and the motor will last longer building boost higher in the rpm range

good luck, should be a beast of a car

I'd like to try a twin turbo "mid mount" and go to an aftermarket fuel cell

I'm not a fan of the vette fuel system and right behind the seats is a great place to mount the turbos and run side pipes!!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rkreigh
what rear gears are you running?

I think the turbo might be a bit more lazy rear mounted but that will work in your favor hooking the power and the motor will last longer building boost higher in the rpm range

good luck, should be a beast of a car

I'd like to try a twin turbo "mid mount" and go to an aftermarket fuel cell

I'm not a fan of the vette fuel system and right behind the seats is a great place to mount the turbos and run side pipes!!
I have the c6 z06 rear end which is 3.42, only option for gears is custom and runs just shy of $2000. Don't get me started on the Vette fuel system haha worst design ever and super expensive to go return style. I think it was vengeance racing who did that style kit and made 1700whp I believe.

I have all the parts besides the turbo, waiting on that to be shipped still :/ as soon as that gets here the build starts.

Last edited by LSxG35; 01-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The whole spool by 3500 rpm thing doesn't work because when are you ever WOT under 3500 rpm?

Time in seconds is a better way to look at it and can be told by data logs.

Dyno's aren't really accurate either because the load is usually alot different than on the street or track
Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
The whole spool by 3500 rpm thing doesn't work because when are you ever WOT under 3500 rpm?

Time in seconds is a better way to look at it and can be told by data logs.

Dyno's aren't really accurate either because the load is usually alot different than on the street or track
I agree and disagree with you. Rpms is huge when talking about a stick car not a car with a stall or transbrake. This car is mainly a roll car, and while I don't race at 3500 rpms, its a good reference point to judge off of.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Turbo is oversized for your power goal IMO.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Turbo is oversized for your power goal IMO.
Key words "until I build the motor"
Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think anyone will be able to give you an accurate estimate until you get it up and running and log it yourself.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think with the proper cam you should be fine. Call Martin at Tick or Lil John and see what they think.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSxG35
I agree and disagree with you. Rpms is huge when talking about a stick car not a car with a stall or transbrake. This car is mainly a roll car, and while I don't race at 3500 rpms, its a good reference point to judge off of.
I have had a turbo stick car.

I couldn't tell the difference between 200 rpm or 2000 rpm depending on what gear I was in, or how fast it was going.

All you can really tell is

Damn that took forever

Or oh **** that spooled quick.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had a turbo stick car.

I couldn't tell the difference between 200 rpm or 2000 rpm depending on what gear I was in, or how fast it was going.

All you can really tell is

Damn that took forever

Or oh **** that spooled quick.
And then most of the time it wouldn't crack the wastegate till 3rd.

So depending on what you consider spooled makes a difference too.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Teching In

And then most of the time it wouldn't crack the wastegate till 3rd.

So depending on what you consider spooled makes a difference too.
Was this a 4cyl car?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Well I just got off the phone with the guys over at CBI. First off extremely nice and helpful. This is a stock ls3 with cam, obviously a front mount will have better spool but you can get a basic idea. He said the turbo was hitting full boost at around 3000rpms. On 9psi it made just over 800whp
http://youtu.be/fPYp1esn8lk

Quick Reply: Lets talk big turbo, 6 speed, and spooolllll