Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 Stock bottom/TH400/Moser 9"/S475 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the UMI K-member, and second AEM 320lph E85 pump in today. Looking good I think

Old 01-23-2015, 08:11 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm watching. If I get a deal on a 6.0, I'll do it, but destroying fools with a 5.3 or even better, 4.8 would be funny when the boost setup goes together.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I'm watching. If I get a deal on a 6.0, I'll do it, but destroying fools with a 5.3 or even better, 4.8 would be funny when the boost setup goes together.
I agree man. I got a decent deal on this 6.0L. I needed a lot of parts for another build that this came with. So i figured why not. I'll eventually go LS3 (416) down the road, and obviously a bigger turbo.

But for now, this is a budget build.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Same here. I'll be running NA once the new junkyard dog is ready to run while I collect the turbo, fuel system and Holley HP setup.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love boosted TransAms man, looking forward to this build
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Getting everything squared away for Thursday when the engine arrives. Hoping to have the motor cleaned and assembled with all the new stuff by Friday. Not doing anything fancy, just want to inspect what is there and clean what needs to be cleaned, maybe throw a coat of paint on it and finish it up.

The BTR Springs came in as well. Such a good looking piece. Glad I went with the titanium retainers rather than the steel ones.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mind disclosing specs on the S475? Looks like a billet cover and race wheel... T6 I'd imagine?

Curious to see how your fueling system comes together as well. You've got some nice gear and a good start sir. Nice build.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Mind disclosing specs on the S475? Looks like a billet cover and race wheel... T6 I'd imagine?

Curious to see how your fueling system comes together as well. You've got some nice gear and a good start sir. Nice build.
The S475 is "stock". Standard 7 blade cast wheel. Cover is the cast cover as well, the race cover does not have the v-band flange. It is a T6, 96mm Turbine, with the 1.32A/R.

Fueling system should come out nice. My buddy 93Camaro___zzz has a similar setup on the lines, just pumps are different. The pumps shouldn't be an issue as a single pump is rated around 550 on e85 at a .91BSFC (which my BSFC shouldn't be that high) and with twin pumps and 127lb injectors I have a little room to work with. This calculator helps

Thanks for checking it out man. I have a track day planned for March 7th, and I plan on being there.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

A few more items arrived... The engine and camshaft will be here tomorrow. I'm really excited to get this portion of the build complete. Goal is to get the engine assembled with new parts, front end pieces swapped over to the new tubular k-member, the two of them mated together. Then I'll trim and (re)paint a few items in the engine compartment (As well as the wiring. I will be locating all fuse blocks, and the PCM in the car) and get the motor back in so we can begin to build the hot side.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad I could help fund the project looks great.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Glad I could help fund the project looks great.
Thanks man!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

So after dealing with USPS for hours... They've lost my 10" Billet converter from TCS that I was sending back to TCS to have them re-stall and tighten up. Long story short I have a claim in to be reimbursed. Luckily I bought the extra insurance. At first I thought I was a sucker for paying the extra as if it were a waste of money. Now it's the best money spent on the build yet...lol

I also called PTC for a quote, since I'm in the market for anew one. They may be who I buy from next. They seem to be a "budget" build favorite for these turbo builds lately.

The good of the day is that the "Junkyard Motor" arrived. This thing was so damn dirty haha. I plan to take it apart once I get it on the stand, which will probably be tomorrow after I pick up the wastegates and intercooler.

The FIC 1000cc injectors, and a custom hat I ordered from RPM Graphics showed up to help soften the blow of the converter loss. That still blows my mind...

Anyways, enjoy some pics...

Old 02-03-2015, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Progress! The engine should be finished tonight with it's upgrades. Cleaning all of it was half the battle. Went with PTC on the converter and it has already been shipped..lol That's extremely fast! Also ordered a Wolfe Racecraft single drag bar. Looking forward to that!

5" Mild Steel V-band down pipe flange, with the feed and drain flanges as well.

These will be the twin 38mm 16psi waste gates I will be using.

6061 Aluminum will rolled ends. I plan to hack up the "kit" I bought and make it fit my car the way I want it to.

3.25 Motive gear.

I believe this will be the final resting spot for the intercooler. So we'll see if that location works well with everything else.

UMI K-member assembled. Stock rack for now, with open lines. It drives fine honestly. Little tougher since the spool and Grant wheel were installed, but never the less, works just fine.

Last but not least. Shout out to my Dad for hooking it up with a ton of new gaskets. Some of them I won't use for my personal build(s).

Once the engine is done and on the k-member, I will gather all the stuff in the engine bay so I can paint some things that would otherwise be unreachable while the engine is in place. Once that is done, the engine will be installed and the hot side fabrication will begin. I have a full free weekend this weekend so I plan to get A LOT!!! done. Looking to have this thing done by the end of the month. (Wishful thinking )
Old 02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Credit card on fire yet?
:-)

Did you re-gap the rings? The clean up looks good!

Ron
Old 02-03-2015, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Credit card on fire yet?
:-)

Did you re-gap the rings? The clean up looks good!

Ron
Haha.. It helps that I've sold a lot of the nitrous stuff and my LS1. So I've only had to make a few purchases with my own money. Still plenty of money for beer and dyno time

I did not do anything with the rings, and pretty much the entire rotating assembly other than rod bolts. I considered opening the gap but I figured with my time deadline (Deploying in a few months) that I would rather get some "boosted" passed under my belt than doing much other than the basics with the motor. After deployment is when I will just forge the rotating assembly and do some extensive cleaning of the block. I've noticed the iron blocks seem to have a ton of casting material that could be removed in the oil passages, lifter galley, etc.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to this weekend... The build updates on this project will be unbelievable. lol
Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
I agree man. I got a decent deal on this 6.0L. I needed a lot of parts for another build that this came with. So i figured why not. I'll eventually go LS3 (416) down the road, and obviously a bigger turbo.

But for now, this is a budget build.
Im like 2 weeks away from firin up my fully forged 416 ls3 with cnc rhs heads and a bw s480 billet wheel.. im stayin t4 to use my current kit and liljohn said itll be good to 1k wheel so what the hell lol, but ill let ya know how it runs!
btw im lovin your build thread so far, i always feel like i shuda started one.. goodluck man
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Looking forward to this weekend... The build updates on this project will be unbelievable. lol
Indeed!

Originally Posted by Kmspeedie
Im like 2 weeks away from firin up my fully forged 416 ls3 with cnc rhs heads and a bw s480 billet wheel.. im stayin t4 to use my current kit and liljohn said itll be good to 1k wheel so what the hell lol, but ill let ya know how it runs!
btw im lovin your build thread so far, i always feel like i shuda started one.. goodluck man
Yea man keep me updated. I bet you make some real good power!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Well making some progress slowly but surely. This weekend is when I'll be able to gear down and start hauling *** with this project.

Enjoy the pics...

Old 02-06-2015, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Looking good-you know if you hit the limit on the CC's, you can call and have them raised, lol

Quick Reply: LQ4 Stock bottom/TH400/Moser 9"/S475 build thread