Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ebay twins or single bw cast for budget 6.0 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay twins or single bw cast for budget 6.0 build

Car is a 99 mustang. sbe 6.0 liter with 317 heads, turbo cam of some sort, truck manifold, Powerglide. Pump gas with meth. I want to make 800+ rwhp. I was going to originally get twin ebay turbos but now im thinking if possible to maybe go with a single bw turbo. I will eventually be building a forged bottom end and turn it up so I was thinking a bw would allow me to possibly upgrade turbo down the road if needed. Right now money is tight and I would like to just get it going for spring. Any recommendations on turbo choice and cam choice would be appreciated. Thanks, Vince
Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Launching!

I'm going through this with a buddy of mine. He is always talking about twins on ebay he found.
To me it's a no brainer
Two China pieces of ****
Or a Borg warner.
Two junk *** gates or one good one.
I went with the s475 for those 2 reasons.
And if I want I could put a billet 484 in its place. Lol
Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

i agree the only china turbo i would try are the vs ones guys seem to have good luck with them for the price
Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote ebay twins! Everyone always talks about it but no one really ever finishes the build! Theres too many BW builds on this site haha. They are a proven combo for sure though. Yeah vs has some solid cheap turbos, but i think the smallest they have is the 69mm gt45 which would be pretty large for a twin setup? I think cx racing has some smaller ones that would light off a little faster for you. I wouldnt know exactly what size to get though. Good luck with your build though. Iv heard boost is addicting....
Old 01-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
I vote ebay twins! Everyone always talks about it but no one really ever finishes the build! Theres too many BW builds on this site haha. They are a proven combo for sure though. Yeah vs has some solid cheap turbos, but i think the smallest they have is the 69mm gt45 which would be pretty large for a twin setup? I think cx racing has some smaller ones that would light off a little faster for you. I wouldnt know exactly what size to get though. Good luck with your build though. Iv heard boost is addicting....
There is a mustang on here that runs 2 On3 7665s on his stock bottom end 6.0. Make 1050 to the wheels through an unlocked auto.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=99tramsamc/fia;18620120]I'm going through this with a buddy of mine. He is always talking about twins on ebay he found.
To me it's a no brainer
Two China pieces of ****
Or a Borg warner.
Two junk *** gates or one good one.
I went with the s475 for those 2 reasons.
And if I want I could put a billet 484 in its place. Lol[/QUOTE

After lurking here a while I was coming to the same conclusion but there is so many bw options and the price difference is large. Doing a $700 bw if it would work would be doable but if I need to go to a $900 or more turbo the cheap chinese ones start looking better. thx for the reply
Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WEIGHTMAN
i agree the only china turbo i would try are the vs ones guys seem to have good luck with them for the price
Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
I agree the vs ones are probably going to be too big as twins on a sbe 6.0 unless the exhaust housing was really small and without compressor maps available it would be a gamble.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I’d sure like to see a twin “China gt45” build on a mild LS platform. They are the cheapest large frame turbo available at $230 shipped. They also seem to have an excellent track record as far as reliability.

I don’t see 1.0AR T6 as a massive housing for a twin on a 6.0 build. I'd guess the smallish 69mm compressor coupled with the larger 77mm exh wheel should make for OK spool speeds.

After seeing how well a tiny bit of nitrous spools the turbo (only active 2 seconds or so on TB) I would go this route if I were to build another JY drag setup.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I’d sure like to see a twin “China gt45” build on a mild LS platform. They are the cheapest large frame turbo available at $230 shipped. They also seem to have an excellent track record as far as reliability.

I don’t see 1.0AR T6 as a massive housing for a twin on a 6.0 build. I'd guess the smallish 69mm compressor coupled with the larger 77mm exh wheel should make for OK spool speeds.

After seeing how well a tiny bit of nitrous spools the turbo (only active 2 seconds or so on TB) I would go this route if I were to build another JY drag setup.
thx for the reply. I don't want to have to spray it as this car will see a good bit of street cruising. I had a 10 inch tire 67 Camaro in the late 90's with a procharged blowthru carbed big block and I had a plate system that I would spray while on the transbrake and it would raise the converter stall 1000 rpms.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by vinceI
thx for the reply. I don't want to have to spray it as this car will see a good bit of street cruising. I had a 10 inch tire 67 Camaro in the late 90's with a procharged blowthru carbed big block and I had a plate system that I would spray while on the transbrake and it would raise the converter stall 1000 rpms.
Gotcha may not be the setup for you….

Just for arguments sake using my car as an example. I drive on the street quite a bit. So far I’ve only run mild JY 5.3/4.8’s. Tight converter, 76mm, 3.25 gear/glide. At 40-70mph I spin the tires (29x12 slick) at anything above 13lbs. I run 25lbs at the track.

So my question is… How much power is really useable on the street at low rpm? Is a “fast spooling” setup even desirable for a street car?

A mild 6.0 setup can make 400+ at the crank. So a decent twin setup at 15lbs should be around 800+ crank. Is that amount of power usable at low rpm/speeds on the street?

Don’t get me wrong there are “street racers” putting twice that HP amount to the ground. But they are ramping in the power slowly. Basically the same thing as “lag”.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Gotcha may not be the setup for you….

Just for arguments sake using my car as an example. I drive on the street quite a bit. So far I’ve only run mild JY 5.3/4.8’s. Tight converter, 76mm, 3.25 gear/glide. At 40-70mph I spin the tires (29x12 slick) at anything above 13lbs. I run 25lbs at the track.

So my question is… How much power is really useable on the street at low rpm? Is a “fast spooling” setup even desirable for a street car?

A mild 6.0 setup can make 400+ at the crank. So a decent twin setup at 15lbs should be around 800+ crank. Is that amount of power usable at low rpm/speeds on the street?

Don’t get me wrong there are “street racers” putting twice that HP amount to the ground. But they are ramping in the power slowly. Basically the same thing as “lag”.
I understand what you are saying. My concern is that with a glide and low numerical rear gear if I don't get some kind of boost the car will be very bad driving around. On a single turbo I wouldn't be worried but on twins if the boost doesn't come in til 5500 I'm not gonna be happy driving it on the street. Car has trans brake for the track so that wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm not saying I want boost at 2500 but after I buy the turbos if it comes on too late I'm kinda screwed at least if its early I can limit boost to make it work.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I just went through this same debate for my 93' Fox. I ended up going with twin on3 70mm turbos for 2 reasons.
First- they were cheaper than a base BW475, and much cheaper than a larger BW needed to match the power capability.
Second- Size restrictions. I can fit 2 smaller turbos much easier than 1 large one. I want to stick with a full exhaust system, so having to start with a 5" downpipe on the S480 for example, would have made that much harder. I want the engine bay to have as little clutter as possible, and the smaller twins allow for that.

I have almost all my parts needed and hope to start fabing up everything this weekend. Should be up and running within a month or so, depending on if I leave the short block stock or not.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by vinceI
I understand what you are saying. My concern is that with a glide and low numerical rear gear if I don't get some kind of boost the car will be very bad driving around. On a single turbo I wouldn't be worried but on twins if the boost doesn't come in til 5500 I'm not gonna be happy driving it on the street. Car has trans brake for the track so that wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm not saying I want boost at 2500 but after I buy the turbos if it comes on too late I'm kinda screwed at least if its early I can limit boost to make it work.
I hear ya...

How heavy is the chassis? Also have to figure in most converters stall around 3400 anyway...more on the brake. Tall gearing on the glide helps load/spool the turbo. I wish I knew how twin gt45's would perform. I'd guess they would come online around 4k on a 10:1 6.0 easy.

Originally Posted by BOOSTAT4500
I just went through this same debate for my 93' Fox. I ended up going with twin on3 70mm turbos for 2 reasons.
First- they were cheaper than a base BW475, and much cheaper than a larger BW needed to match the power capability.
Second- Size restrictions. I can fit 2 smaller turbos much easier than 1 large one. I want to stick with a full exhaust system, so having to start with a 5" downpipe on the S480 for example, would have made that much harder. I want the engine bay to have as little clutter as possible, and the smaller twins allow for that.

I have almost all my parts needed and hope to start fabing up everything this weekend. Should be up and running within a month or so, depending on if I leave the short block stock or not.
Where did you get a 70mm on3 turbo? Do they not advertise these online? I didn't' like the compressor/turbine ratio on the 76/65's on3 sells.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

On3 has had their 70mm for a while. I think Wicked69 runs of pair of them in his Chevelle on either a stock bottom end 6.0 or 5.3. Runs 5s in the 1/8th. Daily driven.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:31 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova
On3 has had their 70mm for a while. I think Wicked69 runs of pair of them in his Chevelle on either a stock bottom end 6.0 or 5.3. Runs 5s in the 1/8th. Daily driven.
Huh, can't find them on their website or ebay. Wonder if they are still available.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Launching!

On3 has 60s, 61s, billet 67s, 70s and 76s all on the same 65 exhaust side. None of these are listed on their website. You would have to call them, that how I found out about the 61s

I personal went with a pair of their 61/65s on my 6.0L
Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by toytech93
On3 has 60s, 61s, billet 67s, 70s and 76s all on the same 65 exhaust side. None of these are listed on their website. You would have to call them, that how I found out about the 61s

I personal went with a pair of their 61/65s on my 6.0L
Ah good to know, thanks! What did the 61/65's run? What size housings did you use?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Launching!

The 60s, 61s, 70s & 76s are all around the same price $300.

I went with twin 61/65s .68 a/r T4, might move up to 70s .88a/r if it need its. The good thing is you can move housings around for the best response. Thinking 70s .68a/r might work out well for me, I'm trying to move 3900lbs.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

I got a brand new one from a member here, and the other with only 500 miles on it off of corral.net. They are on Ebay whenever they have them in stock. If not on there now, I bet they'll be back within a week or two, never gone very long.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Twins don't have budget in them, dual WG, complicated vacuum referencing

Quick Reply: ebay twins or single bw cast for budget 6.0 build