Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TT 370ci. Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT 370ci. Heads

Hey guys, I'm going over my build plan and am stuck on the cylinder heads. The motor will be a 370ci. iron block, 10.8:1 compression (Run on E85) with meth injection, and twin Turbonetics 69/68 turbos. I was looking at the PRC 237cc CNC'd heads, and have a cam grind by Martin for their flow. Obviously max lift was chosen and duration as well, so is there a need for more air flow? Obviously the better the flow, the more efficient, but is there a need for crazy flow? I'm shooting for 1,300rwhp. Which will probably grow

Last edited by Meth Sled; 02-12-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Boosted intake charge is much denser than naturally aspirated therefore mass flow is greatly increased.

Getting that denser charge(heavier mass doesn't like to turn at high speeds) to actually turn inside the intake port and induction system is the key. Flow separation has a higher chance of occurring in a boosted intake port because of the denser charge.

Getting a cylinder head to flow the most air through a given size hole is not the main focus. Setting air speed and cross sectional area while keeping turbulence and flow separation at bay is.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Boosted intake charge is much denser than naturally aspirated therefore mass flow is greatly increased.

Getting that denser charge(heavier mass doesn't like to turn at high speeds) to actually turn inside the intake port and induction system is the key. Flow separation has a higher chance of occurring in a boosted intake port because of the denser charge.

Getting a cylinder head to flow the most air through a given size hole is not the main focus. Setting air speed and cross sectional area while keeping turbulence and flow separation at bay is.
Took me about ten reads, but I understand what you're saying now! So you recommend keeping the airflow down and under control, vs. a crazy amount of air that will not flow in the correct manner, which makes perfect sense, right?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

You got it.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
You got it.
I just see so many big horse builds and the heads people are running flow insane numbers, got me thinking.. Thanks for the advise! No more searching, time to start buying..
Old 02-12-2015, 06:19 PM
FormerVendor

There is so much more to it than flow numbers.

Everyone wants to brag about how much air they can flow through the smallest hole, or how much air they can flow through a given size hole.

Flow benches don't win races.

Quick Reply: TT 370ci. Heads