Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

first build thread! rise of the War Chicken!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen firebird 408 and 6 speed build

well this is my first build thread and it might be a slow one but i figured this might help me get my *** in gear and get this thing back on the road! so some background on the car. this was my first car my mom gave it to me when i turned 16 she bought it brand new back in 1990. and from day one i was trying to make it fast. looking back i probably should have left it stock all original car with only 57k when i got it now has 87k and going on its third engine and trany.

so now for the car its a 1990 firebird formula t top and stick with a gm 9 bolt rear end with disc brakes we'll see how long that holds up this time around the last engine i built for it was a 355 with little knowledge of how to actually put an engine together i got lucky to say the least and it actually ran strong for a few years took me all the way threw collage at NTI that being said this time around i have quite a bit more confidence in building this engine and making a little more power well a lot more power.

now time for the build the old 355 and t56 came out about 2 years ago and the car has just been sitting in my driveway waiting for the ls sitting in the garage hoping to hit 1000hp in the future but would be more than happy with 700 or so car is mostly a street car and will be running e85 90% of the time unless i take it out of town. then 93 would be used for the trip with little to no beating on the car.

engine:
-6.0 cast iron summit racing block .030 over and cleared for a 4 inch stroke
(we'll see how long this lasts not sure if i like the machine work or not)
-just ordered a rotating assembly from texas speed (callies dragon slayer wet sump, callies ultra i beam rods, wiseco 32cc dish pistons with tool steel wrist pins)
-heads are tfs genx 255's
-moroso oil pan and pump

as for now thats all i have bought but hope to be updating soon!
and always open to recommendations!
Attached Thumbnails first build thread! rise of the War Chicken!-part_1423929776305_20140416_190152.jpg   first build thread! rise of the War Chicken!-no-engine1.jpg   first build thread! rise of the War Chicken!-engine-out-2.jpg   first build thread! rise of the War Chicken!-oil-pan1.jpg   first build thread! rise of the War Chicken!-no-engine2.jpg  

Last edited by kill4thril; 11-08-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like you chose a good major

Those are some nice parts man, that should be a stout 408. Will you be throwing boost or spray at it? I really hope so haha.

Post up any questions you have man, I'm sure someone can help you out.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

yes i plan on putting some boost to it. i picked up an old turbo off of a rig but am having trouble finding a rebuild kit for it plus i think it might be a little small for the engine. i have been looking to get a s480 with the 1.32 t6 hot side seems to be what everyone is using on here and making good power

the turbo i have is a garrett and the part number is r23508405 if anyone has any idea where i can get a rebuild kit for it
Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

ok first small update just ordered my genx 255 heads should be here in a few days just trying to fined a part number for the hollow steam intake valve for them then will be ordering my valves and springs from brian tooley!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome, nice to see more third gens poppin up! Ill be following!

Jay
Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Ok so finally an update got some of the parts and spent a little of the build money on a new toy and tool box so working on getting that back up. Haven't had much time to work on the car though with having to swap drive trains in my bosses two gtos and trying to fix a rocker arm problem with my friends lt1 But sadly for him it's not looking to good so ls swap time for him too!

Rotating assembly

Genx 255 heads

New toy

Old 04-15-2015, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

r23508405 is a tv4502 which has the old tv wheels. slow spool.

63/91 inducer/exducer compressor

87/79 inducer/exducer turbine

compressor and turbine would be small for the motor you are building in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

That was my thought to I was think more along the lines of an s480
Old 05-02-2015, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Well getting closer to being able to get back on my build. finished up my bosses gto and his charger just have to get the cam and dod delete in his sons g8 then back on my car. full throttle can't take just letting it sit there any longer!

Made 470hp and 440tq to the tire prc heads, cam, intake and exhaust. t56 tranzilla

The two gtos engine used to be in the black one
Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Suscribing
Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kill4thril
Ok so finally an update got some of the parts and spent a little of the build money on a new toy and tool box so working on getting that back up. Haven't had much time to work on the car though with having to swap drive trains in my bosses two gtos and trying to fix a rocker arm problem with my friends lt1 But sadly for him it's not looking to good so ls swap time for him too!

Rotating assembly

Genx 255 heads

New toy

If I was your buddy I would definitely swap out the Lt for an LS and be on the right path
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

I have been trying to get him to he has a 4.8 in a truck that has been sitting in his back yard for ever and even has a nice Garrett turbo and some built tranny that would go great in the car just scared of all the power I guess.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Ok so as of today the g8 is done heads took forever at the machine shop but it's all back together and ready for the dyno

Dod gone that oil pick up bolt is a pain

Brian tooley 660 platinum springs

Old 06-19-2015, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Ok finally an update for this got my valves and valve springs. Just need to get a cam and can finally start putting it all together!
Just have a few questions on putting the valves in I've had mixed answers about lapping the valves some say do it others say just check it with a marker then put them in. What do you guys think?

Ok so i was in a hurry to open this when i got home from work and as i ripped the box open boom damn peanuts blow up all over my room ha but well worth it!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:12 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an 89 formula 350 in high school. Cool ******* car, so I'm watching your thread.

I had a few bolt on's and remember is made like 1 million ftlbs of torque from idle to about 3000 rpm, then hit a brick wall at 4500. Just enough to destroy tires and keep me out of trouble in highschool. Sorry, just reminiscing.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Ok so after a long long time I'm back with a few updates.
1) The new k member and a arms are in the car had to cut the spring pocket a bit to get the weight Jacks to sit in the control arm right but there in and look killer.
2) sold the old garrett turbo to help finish the engine
3) traded my stock 6.0L block for a t56 with ls7 clutch Hurst shifter and a McLeod slave
4) ordered a new dart iron shp block but sadly won't be in till next month

Still need to remove the old wiring harness

All the work done outside and winters on its way how i hate new york
Old 11-04-2016, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Here come some more updates!

​​​​​​1) got my cam from Martin Smallwood by far the absolute best customer service I have ever had! thank you Martin for all the help.

2 ) got the new dart shp block from Borowski Race Engines and it looks amazing.

3) finally got the garage straightened up to be able to start putting everything together.

4) started taking some measurements and inventory parts.
Bikes finally out of the way ready to do some work.

Block at Borowski one on the right!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

I started to mess with the transmission this week and realized how bad the play on the input shaft was so I decided to take that apart and replace the input shaft bearing and get some new shims to tighten it back up. I'm guessing it was a piolet bearing failure that caused all the play what do you guys think? Looks a little beat up to me but I never really payed any attention to how any of the others looked on my old transmissions

Old 11-10-2016, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Got the heads all together and ready to go just waiting on some shims for input shaft on the transmission. Hopping that it's not beat up to bad found the input shaft shim all crushed up behind the bearing race.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I noticed the block is powdercoated on the head mating surface for the 6-bolt block. You might want to fix that.

Quick Reply: first build thread! rise of the War Chicken!