Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Edelbrock Pro Flow Vs. Holley mid or hi rise intakes????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Edelbrock Pro Flow Vs. Holley mid or hi rise intakes????

Going 408 twin turbo (street, old chevy truck); which intake is the best choice; Edelbrock Pro Flow high rise intake vs. the Holley mid or hi rise intakes?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

best for what really ? They'll all make great power, but hopefully the link below will get some more empirical data in the coming days/weeks

https://www.facebook.com/onthedyno/p...13433065363224
Old 03-03-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

also curious on this since the pro flow is a lil over 400 new.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Pro-flo, and I have had a good time with it. Besides the fact that you have to cut your cowl, everything has worked out great.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also run the Pro Flo on two of my cars. I really like the intake for the price! If you have the extra cash the Holley High rise looks a little nicer in my eyes. But as far as power goes I would bet there is not much difference between the Holley high rise and the Pro Flo. Unless someone has hard evidence of this?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFB
I also run the Pro Flo on two of my cars. I really like the intake for the price! If you have the extra cash the Holley High rise looks a little nicer in my eyes. But as far as power goes I would bet there is not much difference between the Holley high rise and the Pro Flo. Unless someone has hard evidence of this?
Thanks; it's a kind of interesting that none of the companies (Edelbrock and Holley) doesn't offers info about power gains and comparisson between them.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Cordero
Thanks; it's a kind of interesting that none of the companies (Edelbrock and Holley) doesn't offers info about power gains and comparisson between them.
I've been asking the same question for years !

I know if I was making and selling an intake that I knew was head over heels better than the competition...I'd have tested it and be shouting about it. It would help sales massively ( if it really was that good of course )
Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What all has to be done to make a Proflow fit on a FBody?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you are putting it in a truck clearance should not be an issue.

For mild boost any of them should work.

For higher boost I think I would go with the Edelbrock. Only because it is one piece and would be less likely to leak around the seams.

Just an opinion I have no data to back it up.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, wished someone would try a LSXRT out against the high rise Holley and Edelbrock. See if it picked up power sooner.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss performance
Since you are putting it in a truck clearance should not be an issue.

For mild boost any of them should work.

For higher boost I think I would go with the Edelbrock. Only because it is one piece and would be less likely to leak around the seams.

Just an opinion I have no data to back it up.
It's a good point; one piece vs. two pieces.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

The FAST intake is horribly expensive. I have one (bought used) on my NA car. The shell is very thin. And it's a two piece affair with a big long snake of a gasket between the halves. I had issues with mine leaking NA.

I like the PRO flow on my Nova. But I can't speak to hp improvements over the truck intake. Although a buddy picked up 30 hp on his turbo car.

GM chose the Holley hi ram for the COPO Camaros. In that arena, factory race cars, I think it speaks volumes. Those cars run high 8's NA.

Ron
Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
The FAST intake is horribly expensive. I have one (bought used) on my NA car. The shell is very thin. And it's a two piece affair with a big long snake of a gasket between the halves. I had issues with mine leaking NA.

I like the PRO flow on my Nova. But I can't speak to hp improvements over the truck intake. Although a buddy picked up 30 hp on his turbo car.

GM chose the Holley hi ram for the COPO Camaros. In that arena, factory race cars, I think it speaks volumes. Those cars run high 8's NA.

Ron
Money talks. Could be a transaction between GM and Holley company.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Mid-rise dimensional facts:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/hea...ey-intake.html
Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Launching!

In terms of two-piece issues, the Hi-Ram has been through quite a few high boost situations and has held up flawlessly. Just the other day the H8RMKR Vette made 1500 horse through one on 32 pounds of boost. Can this be an issue? Yes, 100%. But I believe the Hi-Ram is a bad **** and will pull through
Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Sweet
Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Old thread but I've been looking into this same thing for my TT boat. The cost of the Edelbrock is eaten up if you get the Edelbrock fuel rails as the Holley costs a little more but comes with fuel rails. All in all, the Holley will be $20 cheaper when that gets factored in on current pricing from Summit or Jegs IF you go with black. The raw finished Holley will be about $60 cheaper than the Edelbrock.

Here's a great article on all available intakes. 4hp difference between the two.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

Last edited by Blazeracer; 03-05-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blazeracer
Old thread but I've been looking into this same thing for my TT boat. The cost of the Edelbrock is eaten up if you get the Edelbrock fuel rails as the Holley costs a little more but comes with fuel rails. All in all, the Holley will be $20 cheaper when that gets factored in on current pricing from Summit or Jegs IF you go with black. The raw finished Holley will be about $60 cheaper than the Edelbrock.

Here's a great article on all available intakes. 4hp difference between the two.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/
What both those articles show, is that on the test engine both the ProFlo and HiRam are rubbish below 6-6500rpm

So whether either is worth buying, depends on the rpm range you want to operate in.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What both those articles show, is that on the test engine both the ProFlo and HiRam are rubbish below 6-6500rpm

So whether either is worth buying, depends on the rpm range you want to operate in.
Exactly.

He needs to have an idea of his lower unit ratio & his prop RPM. He has to set that according to mass & hull inertia resistance through the water (drag).

The more efficient his drag the better here, but it will respond to the load, what ever it is, set up properly.

Intended usage is imperative here.

This deserves it's own thread for further analysis.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the problems I found with the article was using the same cam/head combination.

I understand the intent was for bolt on gains. However you don't know if the cam or heads were the limiting factor.

If your engine is designed with a specific intake, head, & cam and is optimized then you might well see different results, larger gains, than those tested.

Personally I think the ProFlow & HighRam are better for larger displacement engines than the one in the test. Also larger displacement will bring the RPM range lower.

There have been several builds on here with the HghRam that showed impressive results.

I'm using the HighRam on my 454 build.

Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Pro Flow Vs. Holley mid or hi rise intakes????