Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Will attaching cold side change base tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will attaching cold side change base tune?

Hello everyone.

What i have is a 5.3ls with a megasquirt ms3x running sequential , and cop. turbo headers into twin garrett 60-1 hi-fi's.

the hot sides are done and the turbos are "hung" and the engine is in the car (79 malibu wagon) and running , but i havent purchased an intercooler yet , so the "cold side" isnt hooked up to anything.

In trying to get the car generally runing good, and a base tune established, Ive been having some trouble with afr readings so ive been in the process of working that out, but until i do ive been trying to set my ve tables by hand just to get this thing in the ballpark and running decent. when i say setting them by "hand" ive been trying to observe engine vacuum and tune it to where vacuum peaks but to be honest its all over the place. The engine is cammed 234/238 @.050 , but still i am not seeing the readings i think i should be seeing for vacuum.

so what i am wondering is if the load presented by the turbos during idle is contributing to my loss of vaccuum (or instability) , and/or the fact that i do not have ANY cold side connected is contributing to the problems i am having.

Help will be appreciated. thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imdominant
Hello everyone.

What i have is a 5.3ls with a megasquirt ms3x running sequential , and cop. turbo headers into twin garrett 60-1 hi-fi's.

the hot sides are done and the turbos are "hung" and the engine is in the car (79 malibu wagon) and running , but i havent purchased an intercooler yet , so the "cold side" isnt hooked up to anything.

In trying to get the car generally runing good, and a base tune established, Ive been having some trouble with afr readings so ive been in the process of working that out, but until i do ive been trying to set my ve tables by hand just to get this thing in the ballpark and running decent. when i say setting them by "hand" ive been trying to observe engine vacuum and tune it to where vacuum peaks but to be honest its all over the place. The engine is cammed 234/238 @.050 , but still i am not seeing the readings i think i should be seeing for vacuum.

so what i am wondering is if the load presented by the turbos during idle is contributing to my loss of vaccuum (or instability) , and/or the fact that i do not have ANY cold side connected is contributing to the problems i am having.

Help will be appreciated. thanks
Are you running a MAF?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Teching In

nah not really at idle. play with the timing around idle (also look into the idle timing options) and see if that helps. also, you may want to set you map up so that it's not traversing a bunch of bins at idle even if it's hunting, that'll lower the number of points you need to adjust to get things settled down.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

It is going to be lean if anything. From the reduced VE from the turbine being just a restriction and compressor contributing nothing even at light load. If running is SD which I am sure it's the case
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Teching In

yes its only using a MAP sensor for speed density.

i was thinking that the turbines would only be extra load to the engine, with no payback of air .... i am assuming that i will see more vacuum at idle with the cold side connected... thats one thing i really wish to know

Quick Reply: Will attaching cold side change base tune?