Help with my LQ4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my LQ4 Build

Hey Guys,

So here is my long story short.

Bought a 5.3 LS was told the bottom end was good, so plan was to just leave it alone. Bought a 02-04 Z06 cam, a set of ported 243 heads, and will be adding boost to the equation. Only problem was I tore apart the motor and the bottom end was NOT good. So, I decided to go all out, do forged internal on the motor except the stock crank which I am told is good for a fair amount of horsepower. On my way to the engine builder I planed to bore it while I was there to 5.7, however he had a 6.0 LQ4 sitting around that he said he would sell to me for $100.00 which is way less the machine work to put the cubes in my 5.3.

SOOOO my questions are as follows:

1. With boost, where will I be at compression wise on a 6.0 with a multilayer head gasket and boost? I want to run 91 octane.
2. Will the z06 cam be good for my turbo build?
3. Is there anything I should do while I have the motor completely disassembled.

This is all going into a 1973 240z with a t56. Use will be force mostly street, but want it to take abuse as the track as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

what is the thickness of the head gasket? 9.5 to 1 is stock c/r for a lq4. which will work fine on the boost. im going to see how much boost my lq4 will take. rolling the dice. lol. I have seen a few guys run the z06 cam but a custom grind will do wonders. head studs and valve springs is a good thing to upgrade. good luck on your build.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have the lq9 which is the same block and I got a 10:1 (I used stock truck 317 heads to do so) with a f1 procharger and its great, I did go with the blower cam from brute speed (Bob is a good guy and can really help) and I love it (sounds mean and everyone says it sound great). I would def do head studs and valve springs and I did a alky kit with mine just because you never know when you could get bad gas and I like my engine (big safety devise while using pump gas)

Make sure to replace the pilot bearing on the crank (easy to do when engine is out and cheap $10)

Last edited by lbm13186; 03-20-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lbm13186
I have the lq9 which is the same block and I got a 10:1 (I used stock truck 317 heads to do so) with a f1 procharger and its great, I did go with the blower cam from brute speed (Bob is a good guy and can really help) and I love it (sounds mean and everyone says it sound great). I would def do head studs and valve springs and I did a alky kit with mine just because you never know when you could get bad gas and I like my engine (big safety devise while using pump gas)

Make sure to replace the pilot bearing on the crank (easy to do when engine is out and cheap $10)
Thanks, I appreciate it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Help with my LQ4 Build