Default Ysi to small for 408

Just looking to understand why the experts say a ysi is to small for a 408
Mine is making 22-24 psi on my 408'and my car went 8.8 @157 ....so why would
The ysi be to small??
Thx
Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If you're running 8.8s @ 150, why should you even care?
Old 03-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just trying to understand the concept....and im making changes in hopes of 8.5 or better
Old 03-15-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5mtl
Just looking to understand why the experts say a ysi is to small for a 408
Mine is making 22-24 psi on my 408'and my car went 8.8 @157 ....so why would
The ysi be to small??
Thx
Which experts are saying its too small..... you looking for excuses to go bigger again.... rofl.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Realcanuk
Which experts are saying its too small..... you looking for excuses to go bigger again.... rofl.
Brian t and the A.....honestly 2 pretty smart guys if they think it ...they must have some facts behind it
Old 03-15-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

No clue... I guess there is always bigger, but can the motor take more anyways ? Can a bigger blower run on a serpentine, or does it mean going cog ? How much more and at what expense. You ran 8.82 after a few runs on the build. It must have more in it with the right tweaks.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Not looking for a bigger blower....just need to understand why they think it?
Tweaks are a big whole in the hood a solid roller conversion big water to air coolers ....bigger heads and secret sauce

Last edited by c5mtl; 03-15-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not looking for a bigger blower....just need to understand why they think it?
Ask them........I am sure they will share.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What Vortec blower is bigger than the YSI?
Old 03-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
What Vortec blower is bigger than the YSI?
The YSI is a V7 series. Some of the V4 and any of the V20-series are much larger.

Here is a chart.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/scspecsheet.php

Last edited by JoeNova; 03-15-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The YSI is a V7 series. Some of the V4 and any of the V20-series are much larger.

Here is a chart.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Restricted User

Not necessarily. It shows lots of info about your current blower, and your upgrade options should you stick with a Vortech. I did forget to post the chart, though. I'll go back and edit that one.

If they're saying that the YSi is too small, its because they probably think the compressor efficiency is going to suffer. While they may be right, they can also be wrong. You'll get more HP out of a YSi with a slightly smaller motor, but at the same time you can certainly hit your goals with a YSi.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Not necessarily. It shows lots of info about your current blower, and your upgrade options should you stick with a Vortech. I did forget to post the chart, though. I'll go back and edit that one.

If they're saying that the YSi is too small, its because they probably think the compressor efficiency is going to suffer. While they may be right, they can also be wrong. You'll get more HP out of a YSi with a slightly smaller motor, but at the same time you can certainly hit your goals with a YSi.
I starting to think along those lines...maybe they think u need to really spin the ysi hard to feed a 408 where u would not need to spin an f1x nearly as hard to produce the same power. So I'm guessing spinning the ysi that hard does put it out of its effenciency range. Also producing much more heat....I wonder if the a/w cooler is gonna be enough to help this problem or is 75shot the answer
Old 03-15-2015, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Based on the only compressor map Ive seen for a YSi, which also only shows it to around 50,000rpm....you'd think almost every engine is way off the efficient operating range for the YSi

But most just spin the crap out of them and still produce great results. But yes this can also result in lots of hot air ( and yes a 75 shot would help lol )

The next step up with the same bracketry is the XB110, but it's a pretty huge step up. If Vortech had any sense they'd make a smaller 105mm with a smaller frame which would be easier for people to install.

At least Procharger offer a very wide range with lots of units at different levels to choose from.

So far any talk I've seen about the new billet wheel for the YSi seems it offers very little benefit.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Based on the only compressor map Ive seen for a YSi, which also only shows it to around 50,000rpm....you'd think almost every engine is way off the efficient operating range for the YSi

But most just spin the crap out of them and still produce great results. But yes this can also result in lots of hot air ( and yes a 75 shot would help lol )

The next step up with the same bracketry is the XB110, but it's a pretty huge step up. If Vortech had any sense they'd make a smaller 105mm with a smaller frame which would be easier for people to install.

At least Procharger offer a very wide range with lots of units at different levels to choose from.

So far any talk I've seen about the new billet wheel for the YSi seems it offers very little benefit.
It,seems to vortech is a little slow to react ....more than a small group of us have out grown the ysi and kind of left with no option except prochargers or turbos. I have been following the billet upgrade since the get go and some say I will go faster and others say no difference . I took a chance and listed my cast impeller for sale and if it sells I will take a risk and try it. The hair dryer guys have been on billet impellers for a long time so Im sure I would see some gains by switching from a heavy cast to billet. .. I'm thinking the guy reporting no gains are the guys out cruising and expecting a rush of power at 3500rpms...lol....and not guys like me looking for 1/10 or 2 ......I recent cfm chart I spotted somewhere put the ysi billet at 1900cfm...is that possible

Here is a link
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119601
Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

There will always be buyers for the cast impellers when people damage them.

In the absence of an upgrade I'd asked them for for almost 3 years, I finally went turbo instead.

Even though the XB110 was out for a while, I could barely even find reports of anyone using one, and they insisted they werent making a similar unit in a 105mm.

**** it, there are loads of turbo options !

Last edited by stevieturbo; 03-15-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There will always be buyers for the vast impellers when people damage them.

In the absence of an upgrade I'd asked them for for almost 3 years, I finally went turbo instead.

Even though the XB110 was out for a while, I could barely even find reports of anyone using one, and they insisted they werent making a similar unit in a 105mm.

**** it, there are loads of turbo options !
Waiting on Huron speed to launch the c5 kit....
Old 03-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It,seems to vortech is a little slow to react ....more than a small group of us have out grown the ysi and kind of left with no option except prochargers or turbos. I have been following the billet upgrade since the get go and some say I will go faster and others say no difference . I took a chance and listed my cast impeller for sale and if it sells I will take a risk and try it. The hair dryer guys have been on billet impellers for a long time so Im sure I would see some gains by switching from a heavy cast to billet. .. I'm thinking the guy reporting no gains are the guys out cruising and expecting a rush of power at 3500rpms...lol....and not guys like me looking for 1/10 or 2 ......I recent cfm chart I spotted somewhere put the ysi billet at 1900cfm...is that possible

Here is a link
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119601
What type of racing do you do? What rpm are you spinning the ysi? When I had a d1sc on my car it seemed the harder I spun the blower the less power it created per psi. Maybe I was spinning it to hard creating a lot of heat or the parasitic drag increased x fold. Or maybe a combination of both.

But for the most part if you're only looking for .1 or .2 gain I'd spray it unitl it runs the number you want as I did this with the d1sc.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

street drive very little and 1/4 mile
right now im spinning it 68000 rpm impeller speed at the end of the 1/4
1st gear shift maybe 62000-63000 impeller speed cause im shifting a little early ...if I shift anywhere over 6400 the rear breaks loose on the 1-2 shift ...I would love to push it to 7000rpm on the shift this way I have less of a fall off
Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ysi typically is good for 1050-1100 rwhp, regardless of the engine size.. You can make this power with a 346 or a 427.. The difference is the power under the curve and how soon the power noses over.

So if you want more then 1100 rwhp, then you need a bigger blower.

We have a C6Z down here that is setup solely for drag racing, it went 8.40@163 with a ysi on a 427. That's the quickest/fastest Vette I've seen with a ysi.. So you know it's possible to go atleast that fast.. Your car will have to be very light and very efficient.

I think before I changed too much on your car, I would make more passes, track tune it see how quick it will go with what you have before throwing more parts at it. You may end up chasing your tail... (Ask me how I know)

Quick Reply: Ysi to small for 408