Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Choosing an electronic boost controller? Here is a good run-down...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing an electronic boost controller? Here is a good run-down...

I have a little extra freetime, so I thought I would share some research I have done for anyone else looking into their options for a good boost controller to fit their personal needs.

The very best you can buy is the hyperkontrol boost controller http://www.hyperaktiveps.com/mobile/...agement-system

Yep, its $1500, and likely the most expensive boost controller out there. skinnies will argue its well worth the money. And honestly for a true boost by MPH adjustable to every single MPH, why would he be wrong? Setting up your boost per MPH is the single best way IMO to setup boost. It literally will give you the highest attainable boost level with full traction, which means the fastest possible setup in the end.

Next step down is the AMS1000. http://www.ams1000.com/index.php?opt...d=51&Itemid=60

It falls #2 price wise at just under $1,000. You can boost by time, or by gear. Or you can link it up to a VSS based voltage unit LPE sells and get another boost by MPH unit (I haven't found anyone who has done this, but it seems everything is available to do so). Of course by the time you buy the AMS100 and the LPE unit, you might as well just buy the all in one hyperkontrol unit for $1500. The AMS1000 has many features and is a solid unit along with being user friendly.

Third best option seems to be the Plex Pro Boost controller http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/p...ontroller.html

It runs $890, plugs right into your OBDII port with an adapter ($75 extra), and comes with a plethera of awesome options. It also offers boost by speed, wideband O2 reading, timed boost control and a crap load of display info and seems very user friendly. The only reason I am rating this at third is simply because I have yet to hear of anyone on here who has actually used one, so reputation and experience using one on a boosted GM car is limited.

Next in line is TurboSmarts eBoost2. http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-2

It comes in at a much more manageable $540. (I have a new one I am selling for $460 shipped if anyone is interested). The eBoost2 boost controller is not only a very well built billet unit (you can tell the unit is high quality made just from looking at it), but it offers a lot of features offered by the higher dollar units out there and some extras like being able to setup your meth injection control from it. It has 6 different boost levels, and if you can install the micro switches in your gear box, it can be used for boost by gear also. It also has other fancy options like over boost shutdown and sensitivity of your gate pressure, and even a function to fix boost dropoff. This is really the best controller for the money. The bad news is, without the micro switches it is not a true boost by gear unit, and some of the fancier controlled options does not make it as user friendly as some of the other models.

Next up is the Boost Leash boost controller from Leash electronics. http://www.leashelectronics.com/Boos...rollers_c3.htm

The Boost Leash boost controller runs about $550. It can use both manifold pressure or CO2 (which is nice to have the choice). The big thing I really like about this controller is that you can fully adjust the boost for what gear you are in. It uses timing based upon having the clutch stepped in for more than 1 second will start you in gear #1. Its a cheap way to control boost levels by gear, and the controller is extremely user friendly. The bad part is that the screen is very bright, so it may get annoying during night driving.

Next, the AMS 500. http://www.ams1000.com/index.php?opt...d=62&Itemid=65

Unlike the AMS 1000, the AMS 500 is only a 2 stage controller with an adjustable ramp rate. For $400 it may be all some people need/want in a controller.

The AEM Tru boost controller. http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...ype-controller

Much more basic than the others, using a lot more plastic than others, but still easy to read boost gauge and controlled functions and uses up to two different settings along with the basic ability to recall peak boost. At $336 it may be all some people desire in a boost controller and still fall in a cheap budget.

There are other controllers out there like the APEXI AVC-R and the MSD boost controller, but I didn't research enough positive things to recommend them or others.

This is a basic list with mostly basic details. I could have added a lot more of the tech data, but I didn't want to make this post too long to scare anyone away who may actually need the research later for them. Hopefully this helps those looking at their options.

Feel free to chime in with any additional info or if you feel I got something incorrect.

Last edited by SpeedJunkee; 04-07-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

If you don't need six boost settings and their quasi boost by gear, the eboost street is a cheaper alternative to the eboost2.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
If you don't need six boost settings and their quasi boost by gear, the eboost street is a cheaper alternative to the eboost2.
True. It only has two boost settings but for many that may be all they need. The eBoost street runs about $320 so its another basic cheap option for those not wanting more control or not having the budget for the more expensive units.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AVCR here...
Old 04-07-2015, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Good info here.

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
AVCR here...
Mind giving your thoughts on your AVCR use?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hands down the easiest to use IMO. It has boost by gear but the instructions to apply it to an LS car dont exist so you are on your own for that. It has targeted boost and separate wastegate duty cycle 'maps'. They arent granular so your changes are within 500rpm windows. Can have 3 settings: off/wastegate, A, B. Can display boost, revs, throttle position, etc. Has some other features as well but I originally bought mine to fight boost drop off with a 75mm turbo. I upgraded to a PT88 and its still doing great!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
Hands down the easiest to use IMO. It has boost by gear but the instructions to apply it to an LS car dont exist so you are on your own for that. It has targeted boost and separate wastegate duty cycle 'maps'. They arent granular so your changes are within 500rpm windows. Can have 3 settings: off/wastegate, A, B. Can display boost, revs, throttle position, etc. Has some other features as well but I originally bought mine to fight boost drop off with a 75mm turbo. I upgraded to a PT88 and its still doing great!

The issues I found people having with the AVCR controller was not its ability or functions, but it's quality. Seems like 50% of the people who had used or had one were like you and they liked the controller. The other half had the controller malfunction, break, or not function properly, which leads me to believe there is a quality control issue with it.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Launching!

I have the AVCR as well. That thing has all kinds of stuff going on. Lol I've been using it for a while on another car thats see's very few miles and have to relearn how to use it everytime.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

I've used multiple AVC-R's in several turbo Hondas I've had, always worked like a charm. A bit more to get used to vs. a simple system like the GReddy Profec, but I loved the detailed approach the AVC-R afforded me to multiple maps and multiple ramp rates for the different maps, data display etc..
Old 04-08-2015, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
True. It only has two boost settings but for many that may be all they need. The eBoost street runs about $320 so its another basic cheap option for those not wanting more control or not having the budget for the more expensive units.
If you power down the eboost street it will run gate pressure so you could actually have three settings budget mind electronic boost controllers the eboost street and aem are the bang for the buck used both and both function great
Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 AM
8 Second Club

im using a gofastbits gforce 2
similar capabailites as an eboost street, but it has 6 different presets and a scramble feature, a much nicer touch screen display, external input features, boost by gear, etc

haven't seen many people use them on here but theyre very east to set up, seem to be decent quality, and right around the same price as the eboost

http://www.agpturbo.com/go-fast-bits...st-controller/

heres a little info on it if anyone is interested, im very happy with it for the price
Old 04-08-2015, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little more info on the hyperkontrol, the boost vs speed can be off a front wheel speed sensor, this is how I ran it. Also it has an internal accelerometer so you can run of that at the track if it carries the wheels. This is the best aftermarket controller out there IMO.

I currently use the holley efi built in boost control now, IMO it isn't as good as the hyperkontrol, but I'm trying to keep everything in one box thus I am still using it for now.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

There are literally dozens of controllers out there, just wondering why you dont mention the AMS 2000 ? As they would claim it is the best available.

And saying boost vs speed is the best means is very debatable. If you are only considering straight line racing, then maybe. For general road use, daily driving not so as boost vs speed only wouldnt allow someone to use the torque from a turbo in a higher gear for relaxed overtaking, for example as boost might be heavily limited at say 50-100mph for 2nd-3rd gear use at high rpm, whereas in in 4th or 5th you could use a lot more boost in a more relaxed manner.

Plus ideally for an all rounder you need to factor in at least throttle position to give a more progressive power delivery on demand.

Yes boost vs speed will work and is very good, but more options is always better, especially when spending that sort of money. Even the Plex gives more control options for a fraction of the price..

Just curious as to why you say the Hyperkontrol is so good above all others ? What makes it so special, when on paper it reads like a very basic system ?

Plus any system that offers the driver more than 1 or 2 base settings is always a good thing to account for varying track, weather, road conditions etc

Curious about them saying the unit must be mounted perfectly level and straight ahead otherwise it may result in imprecise boost control.

It begs the question...how does it deal with going up or down hills ? Is accelerating up a slight incline that much different to lifting the front end slightly ?
Or is the accelerometer purely for drag use ?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mkvamso
im using a gofastbits gforce 2
similar capabailites as an eboost street, but it has 6 different presets and a scramble feature, a much nicer touch screen display, external input features, boost by gear, etc

haven't seen many people use them on here but theyre very east to set up, seem to be decent quality, and right around the same price as the eboost

http://www.agpturbo.com/go-fast-bits...st-controller/

heres a little info on it if anyone is interested, im very happy with it for the price

How does it reference boost by gear? That would be my biggest question. If it ties into the PCM and uses that data it is a very good value. My guess is it is like the eBoost2 and needs he help of an external not included switch.

The other concern I would have again is like you said, no one has really used it here. Making me question if it is such a good bargain, why it has not been seen more.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

why not step up and use a dominator or haltech as the boost controller integrated with the engine management?

having said that, I'd like to hear more from folks with experience.

seems like the cost isn't that much greater and the capabilities and failsafe management is worth it.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
How does it reference boost by gear? That would be my biggest question. If it ties into the PCM and uses that data it is a very good value. My guess is it is like the eBoost2 and needs he help of an external not included switch.

The other concern I would have again is like you said, no one has really used it here. Making me question if it is such a good bargain, why it has not been seen more.

Reading through the instructions for the GFB, I can see no way it would offer boost by gear. It's just a simple straightforward controller like the EBoost street.

Although they do state you can "kind of" create a boost by gear. But in reality you need to manually reset it, then it can only increase boost stages based on a manual switch input.

So much like Eboost2's claims and Leash etc, it's barely passable as a boost by gear and will only apply from standing start straight line as the system never actually has a clue what gear you are in.
Although with an array of switches at least the EBoost2 can get closer.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:38 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rkreigh
why not step up and use a dominator or haltech as the boost controller integrated with the engine management?

having said that, I'd like to hear more from folks with experience.

seems like the cost isn't that much greater and the capabilities and failsafe management is worth it.
Many like the simplicity an external controller offers, some simply dont want to buy a full engine ecu as that is a lot more work to install.

There can be many reasons for and against both, and some ecu's do a better job than others and offer more options, no different than the EBC market itself.

But the cost of some of the standalone EBC's is insane. $1600 for a boost controller is pretty mental when a full engine ecu offering the same and often more control options for boost just seems hard to comprehend.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone used the Innovate Motorsports SCG-1 boost controller.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Many like the simplicity an external controller offers, some simply dont want to buy a full engine ecu as that is a lot more work to install.

There can be many reasons for and against both, and some ecu's do a better job than others and offer more options, no different than the EBC market itself.

But the cost of some of the standalone EBC's is insane. $1600 for a boost controller is pretty mental when a full engine ecu offering the same and often more control options for boost just seems hard to comprehend.
yes, my old turbonetics "fish tank valve" style boost controller did just fine and was 50 bucks

dual wastegates on the cross over tube and boost control was responsive and rock solid

I think the combination of traction control, with the drive by wire, and boost by speed is just what the dr ordered. but you are SO right one the install cost. a vendor quoted me 4k on JUST the wiring. ridiculous. it's about 10 hours of work and not that hard to splice into the factory wiring.

I'm going to do it myself. I'm tired of paying out the nose if I screw it up, I'll put the other injectors and wiring harness back and call it a day.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There are literally dozens of controllers out there, just wondering why you dont mention the AMS 2000 ? As they would claim it is the best available.
This was going to be my claim. If you are considering hyperkontrol you mine as well consider the AMS 2000. I chose the AMS500V2 = version 2 for my setup because as of right now I do not need that much tunability just yet. AMS2000 or AMS is the best of the best with 24 hour tech support. It has so many features that its rediculous. Sebastien is a great guy and knows his stuff. AMS2000 should be the 1st and last controller you ever buy. For me, I just didnt have the funds at this point to purchase it. But when I do, I will be all over it.

http://www.ams1000.com/index.php?opt...d=50&Itemid=59

The 500V2
http://turbobullet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7305

Quick Reply: Choosing an electronic boost controller? Here is a good run-down...