Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fox Mustang 5.3 S400 88mm Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox Mustang 5.3 S400 88mm Build

Figure I'd finally post up my build. I've been at it for almost 5 years now since I parted out my old nitrous SBF car, so I've got a ton of pictures. I'm hoping that it will be driveable this year, but after this long I'm not in much of a hurry.

The day I picked up my 91 coupe. It was originally a 5.0/auto car. It had a stock block sbf in it with a very nasty looking homemade turbo setup on it with a junk 61mm turbo on it. It had a 31 spline 8.8 with 3.73s, aftermarket control arms, sn95 front brakes, 5 lug rears, aftermarket gauges, and subframe connectors. I then swapped in my aje k member and 4" cowl from my old nitrous car onto it.

Towing away the old budget nitrous junkyard killer car in preperation for the new car. The red car donated it's hood.

The first combo. 2001 stock 5.3 lm7, vic jr, 6010, and an eBay gt45.

Bought a nicely setup blow through homebuilt Holley with annular boosters from 2baditsnotachev.

Bought a couple parts for it.

Started the hotside.

Changed the wheels to some prostars that are powdercoated black.

Installed a set of coilovers. Don't mind the rusted *** rotors, they got fixed.

Getting everything mocked up.

Set the car back on the ground and plastic dipped the hood.

Getting the shifter in place. Have a radio delete plate that's going in when it's done.

Last edited by 93NotchLX; 04-13-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Got the hot side tacked up. Due to where I was working on it at the time all I could do was tack it together with the flux core and bring it to my parents to weld it all.

I changed my mind on the carb setup after reading about Denmahs v2.0 sloppy fairmont at the time so I figured I already had the 6010 so I built an MS1 box and sold the carb.

Picked up a transmission. TH400 with a broken bell, but it's rebuilt with red alto clutches, rossler brake, etc. So I just need to put an ultrabell on it.

Decided to go with a front mount intercooler so I bought a 4" core a/a and some 3" piping and mounted the intercooler.

Pretty much done and ready to go. 3.5" downpipe out the fender. Only thing I was really missing was injectors. Just had some stockers in to get it fired.

Then before I even got that fired I stupidly decided to sell the engine and turbo and bought an 04 LQ4 for $500. It was a late 2004 engine so it already had factory gen 4 rods in it.

Tore the heads off for a valve job and ripped the oil pan off to throw my GM musclecar pan on it from my 5.3.

Ebay head studs.

Had a custom cam made. .600" 230° 114 lsa.

Picked up an LS1 intake, Holley fuel rails, a set of heavily ported 5.3 heads with big valves and a set of new comp double springs and hardened pushrods. Injectors are trick flow 120 lb/hr.

Ordered this cute little guy from LJMS. BW S480 96/T6/1.32 cast wheel. Should work well on the LQ4.

Picked up a new 8.8 for the car. Straightened and braced axle tubes, 9" ends, braced cover, baseline relocated upper arms, 33 spline, spool, and Strange 4 piston brakes. Came with an extra set of axles that I the in. 33 spline 5 lug with 5/8" screw in studs. I bought this a day after seeing the video of beater bomb snapping an axle and launching a wheel haha.

Lost the cowl for a clean stocker I found. Figured I didn't need it anymore with the ls1 intake.

Got a new converter built for it since I wasn't confident that my $100 off the shelf converter would hold up.

Found a couple more parts in the mail.

You can kind of see the sumped tank and Product Engineering pump. That pump should support all the power I can throw at it for a while.

Got the engine and turbo in there to see here everything will go. At this point I'm waiting on my piping order from Columbia River so I can do the hotside. Don't mind the valve covers, they're going to get an bungs welded on and powdercoated black.

I'll keep posting pics as I work on it. It's been 4 years and I'd like to drive it once or twice this year.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Got the fuel rail feed and return lines pretty much done. I was waiting on one more fitting and I still need to shorten the return and feed main lines, but otherwise I was happy with how it came out.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Got the engine bolted in again finally.

Built a brace for the t6 flange.

And bolted the turbo to it.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Had a couple things show up in the mail.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Got a few more things done. For one I moved the car to my work so I now have a super badass array of equipment at my disposal. Mig, tig, 2 post lift, sandblaster, powdercoat setup, sheet metal brake, shear, punch, and a ton of other stuff. Has made everything a breeze to do compared to working at home out of the tool buckets haha.

Better picture of the new rear axle. Still waiting on my new 3.55 gears to show up. Will probably powdercoat the cover in the meantime. Have to plumb the Strange brakes yet also.

Got the fuel lines under hood plumbed. Got everything else plumbed as well. Going to pick up a few gallons of e85 and see if I have any leaks.

Got my new aem wideband installed and wired.

Got the shifter trim pieces done. Still need to burn in the plate and run the cable under the car though.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Nice build! I'm also in the process of building a forged 5.3 with a th400 behind it which will be going in a fox as well. I'm curious as what you did for your wiring harness ? Im leaning toward buying an aftermarket harness due to the simplicity. Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Got the hotside almost done and ran out of time. Still had to weld the second wastegate on and finish welding a few joints, but otherwise I'm really happy how it came out.

Started by locating the turbo where I wanted it and cutting out the inner fender for the downpipe that I still need to put together. 5" downpipe out the fender is the plan. Also took the plasma cutter to the sway bar mount.

Bent up a nice bracket to bolt the t6 flange to the head. It may look a little bulky but doesn't weigh much at all.

Drivers side manifold with the v band tacked on.

Drivers side pipe in place from the manifold to the flange.

Little better view. The shop lighting isn't great for pictures.

Got the one wastegate on there. I think it looks like good flow considering the manifold feeds right into the gate before bending under the balancer.

And got a couple more parts for it. 50 mm blow off valve, electric water temp and oil pressure gauges, 3.55 gears, and an install kit. Also got a new dual pass radiator to make the lower hose a lot easier of a project.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Hotside getting welded together.

Got the bungs welded on the valve covers and got some stuff sandblasted and ready to be powdercoated.

Bolted everything together to check for space. I can't believe how much extra room I ended up having with everything in there.

Got my shifter trim pretty much done. Just have the plates taped in, going to take them out and paint them black. Don't mind the wiring mess, I ripped some stuff apart for testing.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Got some stuff powdercoated. Did the valve covers, valley plate, t stat housing, and charge pipe in black. Did the coil brackets and steam tube in white to try and break it up. I think I like the white.

I also make a small incision in the fender to let the exhaust exit I love how it came out. I'm going to paint the end of the pipe black. The pipe is just tacked right now.

And while I was bolting the powdercoated pieces together I figured I'd mock up the radiator.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Ended up having something going wrong with my MS1 where the board won't power up. So I didn't have time to mess around diagnosing it so I ordered this up.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Got it popped over. The timing was all off in the video due to having it changed for testing some things. But hey, a few years later I was just excited to hear it run.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Got the holley mounted and the USB cable tucked into the glovebox.

Pulled the wastegates apart and found 9 psi springs. Planned to run them for the time being since I don't have any of the holley boost control stuff hooked up yet.

Also got the interior together, shifter hooked up, converter bolts, alternator mounted and wired, rear axle out to install gears.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Got the final cold side pipes between the turbo and intercooler done and powdercoated flat black.

Couldn't figure out where I wanted to mount the map sensor so I finally built a bracket for it off the passenger head.

Then powdercoated it, along with the diff cover, caliper brackets, and turbo brace.

Got the fan to fit. Had to do some minor trimming but it fits perfect. Also got the radiator mounts done. Still figuring out the fan brackets.

How she sits at this point.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Drove it for the first time ever, 50 feet in and out of the shop:smoking:

Old 04-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Broke down and bought some new hoops.

And finished the downpipe. Got a nice trim ring off ebay and painted it black.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

And a low boost, low timing, high tire spin test pass.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Well, found out the hard way not to cheap out on ****. Got on the dyno and was working really good. Made 475 or so at 10 psi on the gates. Went to turn it up and was having tons of problems with the cheap chinese manual boost controller. Either was a ton of boost or gate pressure. Finally things seemed to be working and the boost spiked 24 lbs and the charge coupler at the throttle body blew apart. Thankfully nothing was hurt other than the cheap *** elbow. I'm going to redo it with an aluminum bend to a straight reducer.

Got one power number on the pull that the coupler blew. Only revved to 5900 or so RPM and 113 MPH compared to the 150 or so MPH we saw on the 10 lb pull. Either way it doesn't really mean much, but I'll post it anyways.

Needless to say I'm going to fix everything ASAP and try again soon.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

For your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr4wp...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well, to make for a nice end to the year I ended up with this. This was 19 psi and 14 degrees of timing. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Last edited by 93NotchLX; 04-17-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Fox Mustang 5.3 S400 88mm Build