Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

[VR] Flex Fuel Corvette C5 Z06 - YSI Supercharged - 1,090whp - Pics and Results!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default [VR] Flex Fuel Corvette C5 Z06 - YSI Supercharged - 1,090whp - Pics and Results!

A long time customer of ours came to us recently with an unusual request. He wanted to add some power to the YSI supercharged C5 that we built him by making some changes to the intake and other components. After we got talking some more, he wanted to add e85 tuning to the mix but with one variable that hadn't been done before. He wanted to have a C5 Z06 with a Flex Fuel setup so he could switch between e85 and 93oct whenever he wanted to without having to change the tune. We are all familiar with flex fuel setups and are aware how convenient the setup can be but there was one big problem. There hasn't been a flex fuel setup on a C5 yet for a very specific reason. There was no flex fuel option on the C5 Corvette or any other car from Chevrolet during that time period that shared the same or similar tuning tables. Tuning for e85 itself had been done but never in a flex fuel setup. We were going to have to start from scratch.

Before we dove into the tuning hurdle on this car we started installing the new hard parts and fueling setup. He already had a RHS race block and full build coupled with a YSI and supporting mods so we wanted to make his setup breathe a little better and get setup for the fueling upgrades. His setup before the additions did 181mph in the GA wannaGOFAST event so it was already an extremely fast build. We went to a single plane Edelbrock Super Vic intake manifold and cut the hood to clearance in house. We also fabricated the new intake tube and mount for the Tial valve. The result was one mean looking C5.

Next up was the fueling system and flex fuel sensor. We tucked everything away to keep a clean install.

After all of the new hard parts were installed, this C5 Z06 had a pretty impressive build list.

Engine:
  • RHS Standard deck LS Race Block
  • Callies 4” Crankshaft
  • Callies 6.125 Connecting Rods
  • Diamond Forged Pistons
  • Coated Bearings
  • Trickflow 245cc CNC Cylinder Heads
  • ARP 6 Bolt Stud Kit
  • VR Custom Camshaft- Hydraulic
  • Morel Link Bar Lifters
  • Edelbrock Super Vic Intake Manifold

Power Adder:
  • A&A Supercharger System
  • -YSI Upgrade
  • -Mondo BOV
  • -Dewitt Radiator Upgrade
  • -8 Rib/Direct Drive Upgrade
  • -Alky Control Dual Nozzle Methanol system

Fuel System- Custom Spec by Vengeance Racing
  • Magnafuel External Fuel Pump
  • MagnaFuel Pre/Post Filters
  • Walbro 450 Internal Pump
  • GM Flex Fuel Sensor
  • Bosch 1450cc Fuel Injectors
  • Replacement ECU for flex fuel capability

Drivetrain
  • RPS Triple Carbon Clutch Kit
  • GM Hydraulics
  • RPM Poly Torque Tube Kit
  • RPM Transmissions Level V T56
  • SFK Wheel Bearings
  • ARP Wheel Studs

Misc
  • Lingenfelter Mini Tub Kit for C5
  • Pfadt Coil overs/Sways
  • Raptor Mini Pin Shift Lite
  • Hood
  • Fikse Wheels
  • Line Lock
  • Vengeance Racing Custom Valve Covers/Coil Relocation Kit
  • LG Drag Spindles/Weld S71 15” Rears for ¼ and ½ mile racing

Then came the challenge. How were we going to get flex fuel up and running on the C5 platform? The answer...we have to build the tables and programing from scratch. Unlike with the C6 and C7 where there were tables available to use, this was going to be a complete custom programming job. At the end of the day, we were able to get the flex fuel setup up and running and...as far as we know...create the first ever flex fuel C5 Corvette!

What was the end result? Since there are so many aspects to the car going on at once, we'll break it out in to multiple graphs on the same day.

Pure pump gas tune (93oct)

e85 flex fuel setup with air filter

e85 flex fuel setup without air filter

Needless to say, this unique C5 is ready to pick up a bigger number at the next half mile next month. We are really looking forward to seeing the results.

For anymore information on C5 performance upgrades, flex fuel or any other modifications to late model LS cars, hit us up at the shop.

Last edited by David@Vengeance; 04-10-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok this is seriously awesome. Id love to know how you made a custom tune for the flex fuel. I take it you used a different computer?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Very cool . Can i assume no one has done flex fuel for the 99-02 f bodies also?

Did the supercharger pulley stay the same with all those runs? More timing ?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I dig it. Ordered a Fore Innovations fuel setup including the flex fuel kit for my car last week.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Very cool . Can i assume no one has done flex fuel for the 99-02 f bodies also?

Did the supercharger pulley stay the same with all those runs? More timing ?
As of yet I have not seen anyone with a flex-fuel setup for the F-Body. The pulley did stay with all runs, and there were tuning adjustments made between fuel changes.

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I dig it. Ordered a Fore Innovations fuel setup including the flex fuel kit for my car last week.
Awesome! You will be extremely impressed with their systems.

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Ok this is seriously awesome. Id love to know how you made a custom tune for the flex fuel. I take it you used a different computer?
Thank you! It is a different computer, but still a GM OEM PCM with 100% functionality over the car.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done with a P59 1MB ECM with HPT or EFI live in 2 or 3 bar. There is 1 512k os that HPT has a cos for that will support a 2 bar setup. EFI live has no such cos for that os but you can do a flex 1 bar NA setup with EFI live and that os. It came in a 2002 truck. https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...sor-fbody.html
Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

BTW! VERY nice work on the C5!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

One bad *** vett, very nice work as usual. Love the charge pipe in the hood too.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So after doing this in a c5. You could do the same in an Fbody right. I think that would be bad *** to flip flop whenever you want
Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

We are not divulging information on this setup as of yet, but I can tell you that it has not been done like this before. If you are interested in having this installed and tuned on your vehicle, please give us a call and we will be happy to assist.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi David, sorry for being a total idiot here, but how many tunes dose the flex fuel system have? Is it only two or a gradual increase in timing as the system detects more alky?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Launching!

The attention to detail and cleanliness that comes out of y'all's shop amazes me. Awesome work guys!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Hi David, sorry for being a total idiot here, but how many tunes dose the flex fuel system have? Is it only two or a gradual increase in timing as the system detects more alky?
No worries, that is a very common question on Flex Fuel setups. The tune will actually compensate based on the percentage of ethanol sensed from the FF sensor. This keeps the customer from having to use a AutoCal or similar to continuously load new tunes with each fuel change, and can also allow for a blend of pump fuel and E85 in the tank without issues.

Originally Posted by Meth Sled
The attention to detail and cleanliness that comes out of y'all's shop amazes me. Awesome work guys!
Thank you sir!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
It was all done In House by Mike @ Vengeance PCM
Old 07-02-2015, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like always amazing work from the VR Crew beautiful

How much boost on those runs?
how much Timing on Pump gas please?

Quick Reply: [VR] Flex Fuel Corvette C5 Z06 - YSI Supercharged - 1,090whp - Pics and Results!