Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looking for reviews on Brian Tooley's cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for reviews on Brian Tooley's cam

Undecided on go 402 or stay stock cubes with the ls2. Either way. With a tvs2300 at 15 psi.

As a dedicated daily driver can i run
Brian Tooley's stage 1 blower cam with no issues? Or can i stick with the good old
ls9 cam/stock displacement and hope to get 700+ bhp

My worries with the BTR cam is the driveability. I know its in the tune and how much overlap the cam has. But the long duration and high lift have me thinking twice. As long as fuel economy doesnt tank and there is no bucking or surging assuming the tune is spot on then I will jump on it
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a custom ground cam from brian that is on the larger side. in my stock bottom end Z06, drive-ability was perfect with my auto and 3.42 gear. last run in the car was a 9.03 @ 146 in 5000' DA. the motor let go at the 1000' mark to top it all off. trust brian, he knows his stuff.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Stage 1 blower cam in a 402???

Dude you need to run the stage 3 in that motor.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm running the Stage 3 blower cam. Idles great and is smooth power. 3000 stall.
I have listened to a few Stage 3 sound clips on u tube and they are really choppy. Mine is nowhere near that rough.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest speaking with Brian and asking for his recommendation.
He will NOT steer you wrong.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
I suggest speaking with Brian and asking for his recommendation.
He will NOT steer you wrong.
I tried sending an email. I got a guy named Jared. He just said go stage 2 minimum. And thats it. He hasnt replied to anything else.

So you guys are running the stage 3? Locally, Redline motorsports runs that cam in their project camaro. I just figured from the stuff I have seen from that particular car that it was a primarily strip set up.

So no driveability issues, not even on cold starts or in stop'n'go traffic? And I know its stupid to ask, but i just gotta how much more gas will this beast consume...
Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ViceCityPerformance
I tried sending an email. I got a guy named Jared. He just said go stage 2 minimum. And thats it. He hasnt replied to anything else.

So you guys are running the stage 3? Locally, Redline motorsports runs that cam in their project camaro. I just figured from the stuff I have seen from that particular car that it was a primarily strip set up.

So no driveability issues, not even on cold starts or in stop'n'go traffic? And I know its stupid to ask, but i just gotta how much more gas will this beast consume...
People have ran the stage 3 in ZL1's and CTSV's with the stock torque converter with no issues... I sell that cam to alot of customers that do PDS blower setups. There really isn't much out there better.

Theres no way to say X cam will consume X amount more fuel than the current combo... too many other factors besides the camshaft affect that.

You'll just have to put it together and see what it does.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont like the stage this stage that talk so much, as i am more of the run whats right for the specific combo at hand and the goals desired. Talk to brian about what you want the car to do and he'll give you his recommendation.
I have seen a good many of his cams in alot of na builds and some
Blower cars and they all have run exceptionally well. Tune is key, last car my friend tuned at his shop runs "stage 4" ls2 cam in a stock longblock ls2 gto. 6 spd it drives well and no cam surge at all, unless your under 5% tps at 6th gear in low speeds, 1200-1500 ish rpm. Very slight. Other than that you cant tell it has a cam except for the power it makes and the sound

No idea on mileage tho.

Last edited by Orr89rocz; 05-19-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
I dont like the stage this stage that talk so much, as i am more of the run whats right for the specific combo at hand and the goals desired. Talk to brian about what you want the car to do and he'll give you his recommendation.
I have seen a good many of his cams in alot of na builds and some
Blower cars and they all have run exceptionally well. Tune is key, last car my friend tuned at his shop runs "stage 4" ls2 cam in a stock longblock ls3 gto. 6 spd it drives well and no cam surge at all, unless your under 5% tps at 6th gear in low speeds, 1200-1500 ish rpm. Very slight. Other than that you cant tell it has a cam except for the power it makes and the sound

No idea on mileage tho.
I understand totally that its all about the tune which I will be doing. Theoretically they all should drive exceptional because blower cams have no overlap and I intend to smooth out the idle as much as possible. i will be running 9.8:1 static compression so that will help out. I just hope that I wont be doing less than 10mpg city.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The Stage 3 cam should drive exceptionally well in a 402 due to its overlap event.

I wouldn't worry about driving manners at all with that cam in a 402.

Even in a stock cube LS2 it will drive well.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
The Stage 3 cam should drive exceptionally well in a 402 due to its overlap event.

I wouldn't worry about driving manners at all with that cam in a 402.

Even in a stock cube LS2 it will drive well.

You gotta love sponsor on sponsor love. It is pretty awesome to see. Very Classy.

Go with the Stage 3
Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM
8 Second Club

Using the stage 3 in a 383 with a 3.4 whipple in a c5z
Idle sounds healthy but not too crazy for such a big stick
Drives great around town with 3.42s and picked up power everywhere over the old "blower cam" that was in it before

It'll have even better manners in a 402, if I were you I'd give brian a call and see if that's what he recommends, he'd be the one to talk to about his cam
Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ask Brian about his stage 3 turbo cam... You're asking Brian about a cam that lil john ^ spec'd.

I'd probably listen to John on that.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:55 PM
8 Second Club

I don't think John designed the stage 3 blower cam
Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mkvamso
Using the stage 3 in a 383 with a 3.4 whipple in a c5z
Idle sounds healthy but not too crazy for such a big stick
Drives great around town with 3.42s and picked up power everywhere over the old "blower cam" that was in it before

It'll have even better manners in a 402, if I were you I'd give brian a call and see if that's what he recommends, he'd be the one to talk to about his cam
What heads are/were you using on the c5. So far where i am at
Is a forged stock displacement ls3 with PRC 255cc heads. My main concern is the compatibility of the cam with these heads.

Btw how where the street manners with your tune? How was fuel economy? Terrible or acceptable?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
If you ask Brian about his stage 3 turbo cam... You're asking Brian about a cam that lil john ^ spec'd.

Just my opinion.
Tooley does cams for john
Old 05-20-2015, 02:17 PM
8 Second Club

Is a forged stock displacement ls3 with PRC 255cc heads. My main concern is the compatibility of the cam with these heads.

Btw how where the street manners with your tune? How was fuel economy? Terrible or acceptable?
Using a pretty small head, they're afr 205s that have been milled quite a bit
Big blower doesn't care much how big the runner is
It fills it up...lol
Compression on the car is only around 9:1 so it's not the snappiest out of boost
The pd blower makes power just about instantly with any throttle input so it's not so bad.

The car has a big whipple spun way passed its effieceny. It makes probably close to 1000wheel, it has a nasty clutch, giant tires, stiff *** suspension, etc
It's not really a street car but it can be driven without too much effort.

The cam itself would be fine to daily drive with, it's just the rest of the car that would get annoying pretty quick
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Tooley does cams for john
Thats news to me....

Glad you think you know more about what I do than I do.....
Old 05-20-2015, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lemons12

Just my opinion.
I didnt do the PDS cams.... which is what this thread is about....
Old 05-20-2015, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

The compatibility with those heads is fine.... put it together in run it...

Quick Reply: Looking for reviews on Brian Tooley's cam