Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Steam lines / Surge tank?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 PM
kjm
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam lines / Surge tank?????

Im finishing up my cooling system and have a few doubts??? I have an aluminum surge tank mounted it has 1/2 port at bottom and 3/8 port at top it has a rad cap and ocer flow port. I was wondering what you guys suggest for hose routing?????? should I weld a new port to the bottom and install a tee so I can just hook my heater core lines from the water pump to the tee and just run the steam lines to the top of the surge tank ?????

Rotory1307cc had a good video of his surge tank with the cap off showing the flow maybe he can share that video and give some insight on his routing??????????

I have this tank.
Name:  514-45002_zpstuthuglv.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  16.5 KB
Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by kjm
Im finishing up my cooling system and have a few doubts??? I have an aluminum surge tank mounted it has 1/2 port at bottom and 3/8 port at top it has a rad cap and ocer flow port. I was wondering what you guys suggest for hose routing?????? should I weld a new port to the bottom and install a tee so I can just hook my heater core lines from the water pump to the tee and just run the steam lines to the top of the surge tank ?????

Rotory1307cc had a good video of his surge tank with the cap off showing the flow maybe he can share that video and give some insight on his routing??????????

Don't think you'd have to modify anything? Route all your steam ports to the top with one line. Use the larger of the 2 Heater hose lines (low press.) to drain the tank. Route the overflow to an overflow bottle. Block off the overflow on your radiator if it has one.

Thats how mine is setup. I fill from the surge tank with a large "burp" funnel. Run up to temp with funnel in place. Water will rise up into the funnel pretty high and stabilize. Run engine until you don't see air bubbles anymore and your done.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...gle-PLA+-+Test

Last edited by Forcefed86; 04-24-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 AM
kjm
Launching!

I'm not running a heater core. So could I just hook the bottom port to the heater hose pipe on the pump???
Old 04-24-2015, 11:57 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by kjm
I'm not running a heater core. So could I just hook the bottom port to the heater hose pipe on the pump???
Yes, sorry that's what I meant. The larger of the 2 heater ports.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM
kjm
Launching!

Maybe I'm over thinking this but wouldn't you suck the surge tank down and introduce air to the water pump. Because you would be feeding surge tank with one small -4 line and sucking it out with a - 10 suction??????
Old 04-24-2015, 01:47 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by kjm
Maybe I'm over thinking this but wouldn't you suck the surge tank down and introduce air to the water pump. Because you would be feeding surge tank with one small -4 line and sucking it out with a - 10 suction??????
The system is full up to the surge tank. With my cap removed fluid sits about half way up the surge tank and you see the small -4 steam vent pissing onto the top of it. Never had an issues with mine setup that way anyway.

Quick Reply: Steam lines / Surge tank?????