Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

230-240 ECT while cruising? boosted ls7

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 230-240 ECT while cruising? boosted ls7

My tuner just finished putting together my build.

ls7 with a Novi 1500 with bolt ons. dewitts and a 160* thermo. meth. tr6 plugs.

He is doing some street driving/tuning without getting into boost, and is seeing 230-240 engine coolant temps . I know everything is tight down there, and we are in Florida but that is HIGH!

I have not confirmed with him with the IAT's or the oil temp was....or if we have water wetter in the system (would that even help?)

Any thoughts?

Would running a cooler plug help with engine temps?

Last edited by 04ctsvfl; 04-28-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

IF, and yes that is a big IF, the 230 is accurate, there is no way in hell it should be that high or anywhere near if you are running a 160deg stat and the vehicle is cruising with good airflow through the rad, and engine no load on it.

I also wouldnt be happy if the oil temps were that high either with no load.

However, if the water temps really are that high, then yes you would also expect oil temps to follow suit.

But no they should not be there.

And no, it has nothing whatsoever to do with plugs.

You need to establish if the readings are correct, or BS and go from there
Old 04-29-2015, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So water wetter will not help you out in your situation. But like stevie has mentioned to, are you seeing this ECT number from the OBD reading and not the gauge? If so, then it would be accurate. SO a couple things to test out first, first, you could start it from dead cold and feel both radiator hoses to make for sure that the thermostat is opening. Secondly, I would make sure there are is no air in the system, just pick a point on the cooling system that is the highest point, and add water, and keep adding while it is warming up from a cold start. On the C6's they have all sorts of cooling lines running everywhere, but you could maybe do this from the line running from your overflow to the radiator.

Lastly, if you think the fans and airflow through the radiator are fine, it very well could be a weak/bad waterpump. That is the next thing I would look into.

But let us know what fixes it if you get it fixed up.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
So water wetter will not help you out in your situation. But like stevie has mentioned to, are you seeing this ECT number from the OBD reading and not the gauge? If so, then it would be accurate. .
Just because you read a number from the ecu, does not mean it is accurate.

There could be faulty wiring, faulty sensor, air locks etc.

With engine sitting overnight, or known to be "cold", what does both ECT and air temp read via the ecu ? These should reflect ambient or very close to it.
That will at least give you some sort of baseline. If ECT is miles off, then clearly something is wrong before you even start the engine.

Presumably the fans do come on/off as you would expect ? Given the cold stat fitted, what temperature are the fans set to come on/off at ?

If you can get an IR temp gun and point it at the top hose with engine fully warm and ideally fans on which should mean stat is open and flowing well, what temp does the gun suggest ?

Quick Reply: 230-240 ECT while cruising? boosted ls7