Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My LS-Turbo build thread : 98 formula

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LS-Turbo build thread : 98 formula

All of the knowledge shared here has been immeasurably helpful throughout my months of planning this project. So to give back alil, this is my attempt to document and discuss this build (in process). Thanks to all who partisipate with there knowledge and experience.

Before:
1998 Pontiac Firebird Forumla, 383 eagle racing strocker, bottem end studded, all arp bottem and head bolts, comp springs/push rods,
Lingenfelter Wieand intake, BBS power plus 80mm throttle body, complete Aeromotive A1000 fuel system, built 4L60e trans with 3000 stall, Suspension:Eibach sway bars, BMR torque arm, welded sub frame connectors, lowered coil springs/kby adjustable shocks,complete wilwood brake system with 6 piston calipers and 2 piece oversized drilled and slotted rotors, SSBB brake proportioning valve, 373 moser 9" ford rear end, All American Racing polished torque thrust wheels:fronts Nitto 275/40zr17,rear:Street-Nitto 555 extreme zr 315/35zr17. Racing drag radials, 200hp nitrious outlet plate with Nos 10lb polished bottle. 6 point Roll cage, autometer gauges, Cold a/c and 20mpg.

11.59 motor pass
10.53 on 100hp shot
(Me tuning with hp tuner. .novice)

Plans are to add a BW s475 and keep the ac, intercooler, radiator tweek, battery relocation to rear, new cam and springs, head studs, fresh up the motor with new set of rings and bearings..... pending the Pistons are still in spec, new shifter, prolly bunch more stuff before it's all over with.

Last edited by sWcCuZ; 05-03-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Default some before pics

Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Life lesson.... read up....

Noticed a small tapping coming from the bottem end. Within a very short time span the tap became a hammering knock.....

Decided to pull motor and do a fresh rebuild. Being old school mechanic my entire life I had never pulled a motor from the bottom side of a car. ...challenge accepted..... amazingly easy with the proper tools.

I spent haf day labeling wires and taking my time... knowing it might be awhile before I start back together. Next day pulled it.. took me a good day taking my time. No broken wires everything went smooth. .. shocking..

Upon pulling the transmission I found a lil surprise... I would like to think that even the experts have there....du moments. Converter bolt slapping the block..... smh.....

Converter bolt slapping the block sounds Alot like a rod trying to exit the block... thk God... happy to know that my bottem end is prolly still healthy
Old 05-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Everything looks good from the tear down. My boy was excited being his first time doing a massive build like this. Then Off to the machine shop to have everything checked out

Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Teching In

While waiting on machine shop it was time to get cooling beefed up. Removel of the front clip wasn't to bad

At this point my wife is getting alil scared...lol
Old 05-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Ordered my new Griffin and battery relocation kit and shifter today. I will post some more pics mid next week of the front core support mod.

These cars are like vacuum cleaners for highways I swear

Old 05-03-2015, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Awesome looking car.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks bud. Really excited about getting this done. Been on racing bucket list for years
Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the converter bolt do the same thing to me a couple years ago. Had my tuner over making some adjustments, and it started tapping which quickly turned into knocking. I thought my bottom end was out also lol.
Started to take the trans out to pull the engine, and upon rolling the engine over to take the converter bolts noticed one backed out and had been slamming against the block. It was a relief seeing that lol.
Good looking build so far
Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Good luck on your build
Old 05-06-2015, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sWcCuZ
Life lesson.... read up....

Noticed a small tapping coming from the bottem end. Within a very short time span the tap became a hammering knock.....

Upon pulling the transmission I found a lil surprise... I would like to think that even the experts have there....du moments. Converter bolt slapping the block..... smh.....

Converter bolt slapping the block sounds Alot like a rod trying to exit the block... thk God... happy to know that my bottem end is prolly still healthy
Dude, you're not the only one. I did the same damn thing 4 years ago. It's actually what spurred me to start my turbo build. I swear they were one of the first things I checked when I got it home on the lift that morning, and even had a good friend of mine that owns a trans repair shop help me look it over. I didn't find the "clearancing" marks on the lower cover until this spring....

Definitely one of those moments, but sometimes it can lead to good things lol.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck, looks great so far!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Thks.
Well.... haven't u ever heard the term "everything happens for a reason". Glad I decided to go ahead and fresh the motor up. At the machine shop one of the cylinders mic'd out .010 over.... so we checked the Pistons and they were screwed as well...lol. as yall already prolly know... ls aluminum blocks have very little upgrade room when it comes to bore size. BuT.... my eagle bottem end is in super shape. Soon as I find a 6.0 core and order some new pistons we be back in bizzness. Amazing how quickly ur budget can go to crap.. carry on I will though. Still plenty to do.

Got the new Griffin, shifter and battery relocation toys in. Did some fabbing and fitting today. I'm keeping the ac so I'm fitting the condenser in as well.

What anyone do to lengthen ur ac hoses?

It's ugly atm.. once everything's fitted I will tidy it up
Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'm ready to see this pan out for you I have a car that has the same engine parts and all with the same nitrous setup and I'm also going with a turbo in a couple of weeks when my kit arrives. I love this site
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

I've seen a few guys on the forum cut/expand/TIG weld the hoses to accommodate re-routing. I'm not sure what diameter/thickness of aluminum they used though. Probably rough it in with matching thickness tubing, mark with black marker how they'd line up and take it to a shop to have them weld it up. For a refrigeration line, you'd want zero porosity.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Thks for comments guys.

Small update. .....
Scored a 6.0 block with standard bore today for $200 bucks. Dont know where your all from. ..but from here,..that's a dang good price.

So here's what's next. My heads are 68cc. Ordering diamond coated -20cc dish slugs Monday. Should put me around 9.2 in the cylinder. Monday I will find out if diamond can cut a custom pin so I can use my 5.7 eagle rods. If not I will order my 6.0 scat h beam rods.
Tu2 cam
Head studs
Timing chain
......all the small stuff

Bottem end should be rdy to throw some serious wind. Actually thinking about getting a larger turbo now that I got bottem beefed.

If I was to decide to push it one day in upwards of 1000hp.. on the s series what yall think? What ar would be best efficient. I havnt called up a tech yet. Just seeing what you guys are running /researched.

Nothing new done on car yet. ..Ordering all the stuff and making sure I'm getting the right junk is taking alot of time and research. Think I'm on the right track though. Oh,
Bought me a cheap harbor freight mig welder. Stay tuned
Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000 cam'n SS
I'm ready to see this pan out for you I have a car that has the same engine parts and all with the same nitrous setup and I'm also going with a turbo in a couple of weeks when my kit arrives. I love this site
Any time slips or numbers?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Teching In

New parts are in. Sending rotating assembly to get it balanced. Blocks getting preped for the the new slugs.

-20cc dish, ceramic coated tops with armor glide skirts, scat h beam rods.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Default update

Finally getting engine back from machine shop prolly this friday. Purchased and AEM meth kit and a frozen boost a2w intercooler with a box cooler. Time to start fabbing this joker up.

Sold my 4l60e transmission and purchased a fully built new t400 with a transbrake. So I will be fabbing that new piece in as well.

Moving slow... but moving non the less..

Stay tuned for fresh pics

Decked and bored.... rdy for the slugs

Last edited by sWcCuZ; 07-11-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's looking great man!

Quick Reply: My LS-Turbo build thread : 98 formula