Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anybody running a two (dual) stage boost controller for better launch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running a two (dual) stage boost controller for better launch?

Hey Guys,
Quick back story on the setup. I have a 68 GTO twin turbo garrett 58's on a 5.3l SBE. I have a mid sized cam (220/220 @50) and am running e85 currently at about 14.5 psi. Running Mega squirt. Thread Here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-garretts.html

ANYWAY!
Just curious if anyone is or has experience running a dual stage or two stage manual boost controller. There are a few out there that I've seen, and I've also thought about making one with two manuals and a SMC valve in between to switch back and forth. As you twin turbo guys know or even the charger guys, how fast these light up and its like hitting a light switch. I'd like to have the ability to limit boost while I'm in first gear and even part of 2nd and I'd like to do that somewhat manually. Either an arm switch then a button on the shifter or just a button on the shifter that would limit it to a lower boost.

For the Mega Squirt Guys:
I know there is the ability to have boost ramping as part of the mega squirt computer with a electronic boost controller. However I'm out of I/O with my MS2 and upgrading to MS3 would be more re-wire work than I'd like to take on right now not to mention adding a vehicle speed sensor.

My purpose is hopefully for a better 1st gear pull/ traction and even into part of 2nd gear. I have 305 /45 /18 mickey street et tires (now fairly gone) but even 2nd gear blew them off with my 2:73 gears once these violently kick in. I just put 3:42 gears in the 12 bolt and I know this isn't going to help. Although it has made my 3rd gear more usable. (Which was apparent from the 8 or so 2014 ZL1 kills I had just last night with 2nd and 3rd gear freeway pulls)

Anyone using something like I mentioned to manually control a limited boost when you want more of a prayer to hook down low? If so please share! I see several brands make this in a nice little package one being turbosmart.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive ran them in Hondas, work well for what they do
Old 05-11-2015, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Sweet, just curious but how did you control it?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Please elaborate on these controllers. I'm also very interested
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run that turbosmart 2 stage in my car and a buddy's car I tuned. On his car (glide) it runs on the low stage all the time and then he's got a momentary button on the shifter for the high stage. Works very well, grab the button when it hooks and hang on! Mine's a t56 car and I just run a switch on the console that I can turn the high stage on when I want to play.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have one and its a nice piece, but for a little more money you can start to get into electronic controls.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=jmm98LS1;18797573]I run that turbosmart 2 stage in my car and a buddy's car I tuned. On his car (glide) it runs on the low stage all the time and then he's got a momentary button on the shifter for the high stage. Works very well, grab the button when it hooks and hang on! Mine's a t56 car and I just run a switch on the console that I can turn the high stage on when I want to play.[/QUOTE how would this work on a lenco? You can basically use this like a nitrous button? Boost on demand let's call it? I'm new to this stuff and very curious
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I run that turbosmart 2 stage in my car and a buddy's car I tuned. On his car (glide) it runs on the low stage all the time and then he's got a momentary button on the shifter for the high stage. Works very well, grab the button when it hooks and hang on! Mine's a t56 car and I just run a switch on the console that I can turn the high stage on when I want to play.
Thanks for the reply. Thats helpful to hear about guys using something like that. What brand are you guys using?
Pretty much exactly how I envisioned it working. I was thinking either running it like on your buddies car or having a latching switch on the shifter (below my 2 step button) so i can just hit it and forget it for the rest of 2nd and 3rd. and have a light on the dash would be nice when you are in "full boost mode".
Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
I have one and its a nice piece, but for a little more money you can start to get into electronic controls.
Have you messed with the electronic control boost controllers? Is it something that you would still manually select two a different boost setting but it would electronically actuate to that psi? I'm just curious what function you would gain going to an electronic. And maybe i'm not aware of a sweet stand alone product that does gain some functionality. Otherwise for a full electronic say ramping the boost up depending on the gear and speed which would be awesome, but it would require to be controlled from with in your tuning program.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GTTO
Have you messed with the electronic control boost controllers? Is it something that you would still manually select two a different boost setting but it would electronically actuate to that psi? I'm just curious what function you would gain going to an electronic. And maybe i'm not aware of a sweet stand alone product that does gain some functionality. Otherwise for a full electronic say ramping the boost up depending on the gear and speed which would be awesome, but it would require to be controlled from with in your tuning program.

I'm not terribly familiar with any electronic controller, but my Holley ECU has boost control that is integrated but too complicated for me to figure out so I gave up!!

But Turbosmart has the "eboost" which is like 100.00 more than the mechanical job and has a dual setting also, but has some adjustability to keep boost more consistent and has a digital display on it so you don't need a boost gauge. The gauge will flash for over boost which is nice. I may look into it if I don't ever figure the Holley out LOL!

http://www.summitracing.com/compare

PS - Ebay has the eboost for ~275.00
Old 05-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
I'm not terribly familiar with any electronic controller, but my Holley ECU has boost control that is integrated but too complicated for me to figure out so I gave up!!

But Turbosmart has the "eboost" which is like 100.00 more than the mechanical job and has a dual setting also, but has some adjustability to keep boost more consistent and has a digital display on it so you don't need a boost gauge. The gauge will flash for over boost which is nice. I may look into it if I don't ever figure the Holley out LOL!

http://www.summitracing.com/compare

PS - Ebay has the eboost for ~275.00
Cool yeah I just checked that out. Wow that is really a lot of functionality!
Old 05-11-2015, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a Boost Leash and I love it.

I am using a launch stage and two stages on the release of the trans brake currently, but have the option to use as little as one stage, or as many as 5 stages.

I was leaving on 6-7psi Saturday and on the release of the trans brake I was ramping to 15-16# in .5-.6 seconds. Then 25# in the next .5-.7 seconds after that.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I use a Boost Leash and I love it.

I am using a launch stage and two stages on the release of the trans brake currently, but have the option to use as little as one stage, or as many as 5 stages.

I was leaving on 6-7psi Saturday and on the release of the trans brake I was ramping to 15-16# in .5-.6 seconds. Then 25# in the next .5-.7 seconds after that.
OH very cool! I'll look into that.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody else have exp w these things?
Got one in a trade brand new and am interested in using in a 408tt setup.
Got 6psi base springs and really only shooting for 15psi full trim.
Would b nice to have a selectable hi/lo setting since car is more DD weekend warrior. For now
Old 11-30-2016, 05:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You should be able to achieve that with such a device.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a two (dual) stage boost controller for better launch?