Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L92 Longblock + LSA Supercharger - What Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 Longblock + LSA Supercharger - What Cam?

So I just bought a L92 long block, only 9k miles on it. I am on some type of budget so I don't want to dump tons of money in that I don't need to for my goals. I want 650-700 crank for a street car, rare track days (road or 1/4). It's a 72 Camaro pro-touring so I don't want the "cheapest" build that hurts resale haha.

So with this combo can I just keep the stock VVT cam and still make my goals? I'm thinking overdrive balancer pulley from Texas Speed (that's a no brainer since I need to swap out the balancer anyways), maybe stock pulley on blower. Given the compression is 10.5 I think this should bring it up to 12-13 lbs of boost and be about as much as I want/need?

I'll use the ZL1 lid and a LS7 throttle body, mid length swap headers (for ground clearance).

So do I need a cam, should I just use a LS9 and drop VVT for ease of tuning? After springs and VVT delete that's about $450 (unless I can use LS6 or similar GM springs?). An upgraded VVT based cam/springs seems to cost at least $700?

Any injector recommendations, best bang for buck?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

The more I read the more I want to keep VVT, it's all upside on making power. Thinking stock cam actually will work by the time there's 12 lbs of boost and a decent tune.

What should I do for electronics, was going to use GMPP LSA setup and have tuned, but with VVT I'm needing something else I think. Any of the "self tuning" setups support VVT?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/lsa...camshafts.html

I'm going with a stage 3, in mine it's already made killer power and they seem to be driver friendly.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLWN1
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/lsa...camshafts.html

I'm going with a stage 3, in mine it's already made killer power and they seem to be driver friendly.
That's my top choice if I drop the VVT right now. Looks like it's worth it over the LS9.

I've also been reading and I'll have to run stock LSA boost due to compression, so I need to get more out of the cam.

I'm between the TSP VVT cam stage 3 or 4 and the BTR stage 3. When you factor in the phase limiter vs the cost of VVT delete they are basically the same cost. So anyone have any input between the two, the TSP has gained 100 hp w/ no blower w/ that VVT cam upgrade...
Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

VVT be cool, if you have a good tuner? I know Brian can spec VVT cams, custom also he has a cam worksheet online.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLWN1
VVT be cool, if you have a good tuner? I know Brian can spec VVT cams, custom also he has a cam worksheet online.
I contacted him through his site and Texas Speed as well looking for input. I'd prefer keep VVT because why throw out cool tech if you have it? I will use Thomson to tune here in Detroit area and he says they can handle it. Also TSP sends tables for their VVT cams which is a plus. 100 hp gain in a L99 w/ just their cam is pretty crazy... would make good power on low boost then I think. Not sure how much the BTR stage III is worth, I haven't seen any tests of it without boost, not that that is a apples to apples comparison if it's meant for boost and the VVT isn't.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO keeping the VVT with a PDS blower is overkill... theres a reason why the engines with that blower don't have it from the factory... VVT helps make up for that HUGE intake port and make good torque down low on the N/A engines... which is the same thing the PDS blower will do.

Ditch the VVT.... slap a BTR Stage 2 or 3 PDS cam in it and be done... KISS method here.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LJMSJohn
IMO keeping the VVT with a PDS blower is overkill... theres a reason why the engines with that blower don't have it from the factory... VVT helps make up for that HUGE intake port and make good torque down low on the N/A engines... which is the same thing the PDS blower will do.

Ditch the VVT.... slap a BTR Stage 2 or 3 PDS cam in it and be done... KISS method here.
I just had that conversation w/ a friend that it would be way more beneficial w/ a procharger or turbo due to the lack of torque low compared to a PD blower. But since when do we not like overkill haha, but I get your point.

Any spring recommendations for the BTR stage 3? Do I need to replace the retainers or pushrods too?

Thanks everyone...
Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RLJ676
I just had that conversation w/ a friend that it would be way more beneficial w/ a procharger or turbo due to the lack of torque low compared to a PD blower. But since when do we not like overkill haha, but I get your point.

Any spring recommendations for the BTR stage 3? Do I need to replace the retainers or pushrods too?

Thanks everyone...
Just order up the complete cam kit from BTR.... with a titanium retainer Platinum spring kit and a set of pushrods.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah that's what they're recommending. I've also asked if they'd see any advantage to retaining VVT.

Real deciding factor may be ease of setting up water pump. The CTS V one won't fit over the VVT cam cover. Making everything look like the stage 3 and VVT delete will be the way to go.

On 10.5 compression is 9 lbs boost the max?

Quick Reply: L92 Longblock + LSA Supercharger - What Cam?