Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can't seem to run WG pressure only

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't seem to run WG pressure only

I used to have a issue with boost creep on my single wastegate setup and eboost2 controller. It would start around 7 and creep up to 10-11 psi. (Figured it to be the WG routing)
About 2 months ago I moved the wastegate and added another so now theirs a wastegate on each pipe before the merge.
Name:  E10BFDA0-7CC0-4E72-B388-E86D9044C1E8.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  361.5 KB
Right after I finished it up, I did some test pulls and sure enough it would run spring pressure. It hit 7 and settled around 6.8ish psi.
Ended up taking the car apart for about a month and just started driving it today, boost seems to hit ~12.5 and settle down to ~10.5 psi. I tried turning the controller all the way down to no help.
Ended up running manifold pressure straight to both wastegates (which btw is one line T'ed into each WG) and I'd still hit 9 psi and settle to low 8's. I'm at the point of replacing all the lines (hard push connections). I did have a couple lines get hot and burst, so they were replaced and wrapped with reflect a cool tape and seemed fine. Could they have swole up inside?
If you guys have any suggestions let me know, I might be missing something very simple. Thanks for reading!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

What size springs are in them?
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allmotordustin
What size springs are in them?
7 psi in each. Like I mentioned, it used to run a the correct psi before I had to take off the k member for a month. Since I reinstalled it, it seems to want to run ~12.5 psi to ~10.5 psi
Old 06-13-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue and chased it for a month or so in the process blew off a line and hit 16 psi and held together, so figure I am halfway safe with turning up my boost! With my cutout it was worse, as expected, but was more severe.

I ended up going to push connect fittings for all under hood plumbing and now have full control with the eboost 2. If you have some would be worth throwing all together. Not sure if there was a slight kink or what causing my issue but the push connect fittings with hose seems to have fixed it.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rawr256
I had a similar issue and chased it for a month or so in the process blew off a line and hit 16 psi and held together, so figure I am halfway safe with turning up my boost! With my cutout it was worse, as expected, but was more severe.

I ended up going to push connect fittings for all under hood plumbing and now have full control with the eboost 2. If you have some would be worth throwing all together. Not sure if there was a slight kink or what causing my issue but the push connect fittings with hose seems to have fixed it.
I have push connects on the car now. I think I'm going to replace them all with new lines here soon.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

What size and length are the lines ? Where is the boost source for them taken from ?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What size and length are the lines ? Where is the boost source for them taken from ?
1/4 poly lines. I have a vacuum block mounted on the firewall T'ed off the brake booster line. A single line runs off the block to the drivers side headlight area which then T's to run a line to each wastegate. One right their on the drivers side and the other runs in front of the radiator then down to the passenger side gate.

Name:  860A36B1-A889-4737-A6B9-8589A0F79DE4.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  261.8 KB

Name:  A05E66C1-1A9B-4F39-B8D5-D1317C167052.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  320.5 KB

Name:  E10BFDA0-7CC0-4E72-B388-E86D9044C1E8.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  361.5 KBde
Old 06-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Diaphragms inside the gate may have developed a small leak in the time they sat around depending on how they were stored. Easy to test though, just feed a bit of compressed air to the side port and see if any leaks out of the top port.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:43 PM
9 Second Club

You mentioned some sort of controller ? Doesnt sound like any provision for a controller there ?

And take boost from the compressor cover and route it to the wastegates.

I know I mentioned elsewhere that there isnt really any limit on hose length for wastegates, but those sound like some very very long runs.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

You mentioned some sort of controller ? Doesnt sound like any provision for a controller there ?

And take boost from the compressor cover and route it to the wastegates.

I know I mentioned elsewhere that there isnt really any limit on hose length for wastegates, but those sound like some very very long runs.
I must of had a brain fart lol. The routing is from the compressor cover to the boost controller solonoid. Then off the solonoid there is a vent, and then the line which runs to the T that goes to each wastegate. For testing purposes, I bypassed the solonoid and hooked up the wastegates up off the vacuum block, that's when I saw the boost drop from the now casual ~12.5 to high 8's low 9's psi. I'll give from the compressor housing a try, but I'd imagine it's the same as going off the vacuum block, correct?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ben.
Diaphragms inside the gate may have developed a small leak in the time they sat around depending on how they were stored. Easy to test though, just feed a bit of compressed air to the side port and see if any leaks out of the top port.
I'd hope not. One gate has less than 1000 miles and the other has less than 5000.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
I must of had a brain fart lol. The routing is from the compressor cover to the boost controller solonoid. Then off the solonoid there is a vent, and then the line which runs to the T that goes to each wastegate. For testing purposes, I bypassed the solonoid and hooked up the wastegates up off the vacuum block, that's when I saw the boost drop from the now casual ~12.5 to high 8's low 9's psi. I'll give from the compressor housing a try, but I'd imagine it's the same as going off the vacuum block, correct?
Depending on restrictions etc within the system, no.

You would probably see slightly less boost at the intake, when the gates have their signal taken directly from the compressor cover.

ie gates will be opening slightly earlier, due to pressure losses seen from the compressor to the intake, via hosing, intercooler etc This could be very small or quite a lot.

if the IC etc were very poor and say you had 10psi at the intake.....there could well be 15-20psi at the compressor, the turbo is working much harder to achieve target boost at the intake.
So in that case referencing off the intake is almost giving you a false impression of the work the turbo is doing.

Obviously if the setup is very efficient, 10psi at the intake may well also be 10-12psi at the compressor.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Depending on restrictions etc within the system, no.

You would probably see slightly less boost at the intake, when the gates have their signal taken directly from the compressor cover.

ie gates will be opening slightly earlier, due to pressure losses seen from the compressor to the intake, via hosing, intercooler etc This could be very small or quite a lot.

if the IC etc were very poor and say you had 10psi at the intake.....there could well be 15-20psi at the compressor, the turbo is working much harder to achieve target boost at the intake.
So in that case referencing off the intake is almost giving you a false impression of the work the turbo is doing.

Obviously if the setup is very efficient, 10psi at the intake may well also be 10-12psi at the compressor.
Makes sense. I'll let you know when I give it a try. If it does run wastegate pressure, does that mean I have a bad solonoid?
Old 06-14-2015, 02:06 AM
9 Second Club

Nothing you've described so far would suggest a problem with the solenoid
Old 06-14-2015, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing you've described so far would suggest a problem with the solenoid
Even bypassing it which got me a lower (but still not WG pressure) PSI?
Old 06-14-2015, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

That could just indicate a slight leakage from the gates. Naturally the solenoid will restrict airflow to some degree.

If the leak on one side is bigger than the pipe/restriction it has to pass through, you'll see more boost

Not really a big deal
Old 06-14-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

That could just indicate a slight leakage from the gates. Naturally the solenoid will restrict airflow to some degree.

If the leak on one side is bigger than the pipe/restriction it has to pass through, you'll see more boost

Not really a big deal
Hooked up directly to the compressor housing and still see the same 12.5 psi. So either lines to the gate or the gate(s) themselves.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
7 psi in each. Like I mentioned, it used to run a the correct psi before I had to take off the k member for a month. Since I reinstalled it, it seems to want to run ~12.5 psi to ~10.5 psi
So nothing at all has changed with engine etc from then til now ? Whether with the physical install, tuning, anything ?
Old 06-14-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

So nothing at all has changed with engine etc from then til now ? Whether with the physical install, tuning, anything ?
Nope. Simpily removed the k member about a month ago, reinstalled it about a week ago and noticed the issue.
I know for a fact she I changed the piping and added a wastegate the boost would peak around low 7's and settle around 6.5 psi. And that was a month and a half ago
Old 06-14-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well problem solved. I looked over my wastegates and saw one of the plugs came off. Thanks everyone for the help!
Name:  C2407680-E5D0-42CF-9401-DCCEBC4DF61B.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  249.7 KB

Quick Reply: Can't seem to run WG pressure only