Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

87 GN build planning could use your suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 GN build planning could use your suggestions!

I've had my GN sitting around with no engine tranyy and a LY6/4l80 waiting to go in for about 5yrs. Due to life getting in the way i haven't had the money or time to do anything to it. i didn't want to throw it together half assed so after doing research and getting a parts list together i figured id ask for some suggestions from you guys. A lot has free'd up in terms of money and time so im going to start the build and shooting for a finish time frame around the end of Sept 2015. I currently have the LY6 torn down to pretty much the rotating assembly. Im hoping the LS9 cam/head gaskets and arp heads studs show up so i can get it buttoned back up and ready to drop in. Jake's performance is 30mins up I35 where it will be getting a stage 4 build and triple disk converter.The car will be 90% street driven so i have the tranny getting set up to shift automatic with a D3 trans brake. Im still on the fence to have it shift manually but im honestly not sure what will be better? Any suggestions to have it shift on it own or manually? I would like to build the car to look as similar as possible to the V6 as far as under hood appearance so ill be calling KB racing to get one of his truck logs and route the exhaust like the cars came with originally. I need some help with Turbo and injector size, on the injector size i would rather run a bigger injector and grow into them rather then out grow them and spend another 5-700 bucks in the near future.

Build specs

PSI harness and stock computers retuned. Any suggestions for good tuners in DFW area? I just moved here and know absolutely no body

2007 LY6, stock L92 heads, rocker arms and push tubes, LS9 cam and VVT delete with LS2 timing set and timing cover.

2007 4L80E jake's performance Stage 4, D3 trans brake and 3400 stall triple disk converter currently at Jakes. Any suggestions or pro's cons to have it shifted automatically or manually(90% street car but will see the track). He hasn't started building it yet but i'm thinking right now to have it shifted automatically.

For the fuel system i'm going to run the racetronics dual 340's in tank with -8 feed and -6 return. I don't see any issues with this but if you guys have suggestions please let me know.

Not sure on turbo size so i was hoping you guys could help pick one out. Id like to stay under a grand if i can. Im also looking for a vendor to supply one so if your a vendor please speak up, i know there's a lot of good vendors on the board just not sure who's the right one to talk with. I would like to run either a Turbonetics, BW or Precision turbo not some Chinese junk.

Not sure on injectors or size either so i was hoping you guys/vendors could help here as well.

At first ill run the truck intake and TB. Once some money free's up and the car is running upgrade to a FAST LSXR 102 and NW 102MM TB.

Any suggestions from guys with similar set ups or vendors is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Launching!

What are you goals for whp?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

I would like to see it somewhere between 7-800hp. I'm pretty sure with the parts I have budget for 700hp should be more than obtainable.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The KB racing log is a nice piece, just get him to lower the flange 1" from what he is building now because as it sits, mine would hit the hood. Will have to cut it. I have low solid mounts too, so keep that in mind. Ctsv pan fits great, dirty dingo slider mounts give great flexibility.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Bw s475 turbo is a good option and within you budget, I'd deff dump that ls9 cam and get a custom ground turbo cam from liljohn or tick performance, that will make it easier to hit you goals with less boost.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Launching!

What fuel are you planning on running?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WSLN 6
The KB racing log is a nice piece, just get him to lower the flange 1" from what he is building now because as it sits, mine would hit the hood. Will have to cut it. I have low solid mounts too, so keep that in mind. Ctsv pan fits great, dirty dingo slider mounts give great flexibility.
One of the guys from the TB forum was running the KB log and had some similar issues. I was going to have him not final weld the T4 flang or elbow and id get it were i wanted and then weld it up. Im gonna run the Holley engine mounts and already have the CTSV pan so i think ill be ok in that area.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6669camaro
Bw s475 turbo is a good option and within you budget, I'd deff dump that ls9 cam and get a custom ground turbo cam from liljohn or tick performance, that will make it easier to hit you goals with less boost.
Originally Posted by 6669camaro
What fuel are you planning on running?
I have an email into Tick but i can check out liljohn as well. I was looking at the S475. Im gonna try and call around today and get pricing on a couple turbo's so i know what to expect for the budget.

Im going to just get it tuned for 93 pump gas just because i wanna do road trips with it and figured i wouldn't haven't to worry about specific fuels and not finding a gas stations that provide it.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

s476r with the small turbine, it'll spool the same as a 700hp 475 but capable of making 1000, i think its 1200
Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Tick and Liljohn are great, definitely look at the stock48 cam too, all work well. I went with the stock48 cam to try and have a somewhat similar set up to him
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

That was me with the header issue. I wouldn't really say it's an issue though. It needs a little modification on the Turbo flange area because it's technically designed for a truck. I'm also getting ready to cut a 1 3/4 hole in it as well to add the waste gate plumbing. It's a great piece to start with but expect to do a little modding to final fit.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Name:  15175174-C711-41B2-AC23-3101CDC2BC96.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  1.34 MB
Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
Thanks for chiming in Streetcarer09! Im talking with martin over at tick and might need some help varifying some dementions of a turbo. Looking at the BW S475 just not sure if it's going to be able to fit in the area we have to work with. Unfortunatly i have my engine out of the car and torn down waiting for the cam c/o and head gaskets.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a similar setup to the KB racing unit but just built my own. I think KB racing may be no more his site is down now.

Name:  D3CDDB6E-5EDE-4608-949D-A9F2ABABD5BD_zpsbrxlqcka.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  108.5 KB
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jtotheizzo
I did a similar setup to the KB racing unit but just built my own. I think KB racing may be no more his site is down now.

Your right jtotheizzo... He's currently moving and won't be back up and running until fall from his email today I was just going to look at your thread and check out your exhaust.

Quick Reply: 87 GN build planning could use your suggestions!