Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

No oil pressure please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure please help

Hi I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm in the right spot. I have a 06 silverado with the 5.3 I turbo charged it and built the motor I had my tuner put a base tune on it so I could break it in and it was running great then it started to smoke a little so I bought a turbo rebuild because it had given me issues before when. Going to prime it there was very little oil coming out and some noise from that area I bought a moroso oil pump and replaced it and checked the pickup tune for damage and all was good but now I am getting no oil at all. Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

pickup tube o-ring? rolled, pinched, etc?
Old 06-28-2015, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pick up o-ring, cam bearing walked out of tunnel in block, stuck relief valve on pump.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Kind of hard to understand what you wrote, but are you saying you replaced the pump and now no oil pressure? or no OP before replacing the pump
A new pump should be packed with something like trans. assembly grease, or something to increase suction on startup
Or as said, o ring, OP spacer in wrong if double roller chain, etc
Old 06-28-2015, 11:35 AM

I had very low oil pressure before I replaced the pump and now that I put the new one in I have no oil pressure. It does have a double sprocket timing kit in it.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

The spacer on the DS side can go 2 ways, the wrong way can block part of the oil flow-but you should get some pressure though
Sometimes new pumps are hard to prime, reason I pack them with trans assemb grease
I think there is a plug at the front DS of the block you can take out to pour oil in the pump, might work-they also use a pressure tank to force oil in
Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

I just did an ls6 oil pump and timing set on Sat. All I did was fill the pump with 5w30 and poured oil over the chain, finished the install and turned the key. I had oil pressure within 1 full second. How did the o-ring go in? Did you use the right one? If the pickup tube has a groove in it where the o-ring sits you need the thicker one.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:18 PM

I used the green O ring that came with the kit which is the same one that was there before. When I initially did the build the oil pump I had primed the Whole motor after bumping it over twice and but this one there is no oil or any kind of pressure coming out of the oil feed line for the turbo. And thanks to everyone for the input. I'm definitely scratching my head right now.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06turbosilverado
I used the green O ring that came with the kit which is the same one that was there before. When I initially did the build the oil pump I had primed the Whole motor after bumping it over twice and but this one there is no oil or any kind of pressure coming out of the oil feed line for the turbo. And thanks to everyone for the input. I'm definitely scratching my head right now.
How long did you let it crank for when you "bumped it?" ive seen some engines take 3/5 seconds and even longer to get oil pressure. If you are confident you didn't miss anything i would prime the engine again and hold the key over 10 seconds or so and see if it builds pressure. Sounds to me like your pump is cavitated.

Last edited by oscs; 06-29-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Oil galley plug by the pump? Mine was missing from the rebuilt 5.3
I picked up. 5psi idle with Melling HV pump, after installing it has
50psi idle.
Attached Thumbnails No oil pressure please help-plug.jpg  
Old 06-29-2015, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Hi I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm in the right spot. I have a 06 silverado with the 5.3 I turbo charged it and built the motor I had my tuner put a base tune on it so I could break it in and it was running great then it started to smoke a little so I bought a turbo rebuild because it had given me issues before when. Going to prime it there was very little oil coming out and some noise from that area I bought a moroso oil pump and replaced it and checked the pickup tune for damage and all was good but now I am getting no oil at all. Any ideas?

So has the engine actually run for any period of time with good oil pressure ? how much cold/hot did it have ? How many miles ?

When you say you built the motor...what exactly did you do ?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:47 PM

Roller rockers cromolly pushrods forged weisco pistons scat forged connecting rods zo6 cam new lifters and trays double sprocket timing kit high volume oil pump king bearings arp studs 60 pound injectors and valve train upgrade. And yeah it ran for about 100 miles maybe a little more and I can't remember exactly what the pressure was when it messed up I kinda got pissed and left it alone for about a month and a half
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM
8 Second Club

Roller rockers cromolly pushrods forged weisco pistons scat forged connecting rods zo6 cam new lifters and trays double sprocket timing kit high volume oil pump king bearings arp studs 60 pound injectors and valve train upgrade. And yeah it ran for about 100 miles maybe a little more and I can't remember exactly what the pressure was when it messed up I kinda got pissed and left it alone for about a month and a half

Again, How long did you cycle it over for?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 PM

I gave it a couple bumps probably 4 it cranked for about 7 to 10 sec and no oil
Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spray280
Oil galley plug by the pump? Mine was missing from the rebuilt 5.3
I picked up. 5psi idle with Melling HV pump, after installing it has
50psi idle.
I have seen this too...
Old 06-30-2015, 06:28 AM
8 Second Club

What about the cam retention plate
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I can understand the frustration, I have walked away from more than one project and did something that was fun, lol
New pumps and LS engines have been a problem-curious if you had clearance problems with the front cover, double chains, pump spacers and aftermarket pumps sometimes need the front cover clearance
I would cut the oil filter open, take a look see-if you have room to get to it, maybe you can pull the plug on the front side of the block, pump some 50 weight oil into the pump, maybe get a prime
First LS engine I ever built I went thru hell priming, jack the rear way up, add extra oil, now I pack them
unfort. your problem doesn't sound good, hopefully its something simple
Old 06-30-2015, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

The fact the engine did....or well you dont know that it had oil pressure but think it did... and you are sure it doesnt now ( mechanical gauge or electrical ? ). ie not low oil pressure, but NO oil pressure.

It's time to pull the engine and have it inspected by a competent person.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 AM

It definitely had oil pressure the turbo feed line was pumping some serious oil at first and the oil pressure gauge was reading pressure I just don't remember what it is. Electric pressure gauge. And thanks again to all of yall. I'm thinking I will just wait until our shop gets finished and pull the motor and inspect for clearance issues barbell and the galley plug like has been suggested.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 AM
9 Second Club

So you've confirmed now there is no oil flow from the turbo feed line ? And/or also confirmed pressure with a known working mechanical gauge ?

Quick Reply: No oil pressure please help