Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Motorcycle Radiator fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Motorcycle Radiator fans

So like a dumbass I built my whole "front end" around a 14" shroud less radiator/fan. This fan kept the car cool in the spring/winter (Houston, TX) but isn't going to cut it in the middle of summer. In no way do i have a way to create a shroud. The Fan is pinned to the radiator and can not move back even 1/2"

My solution to this probelm is move the 14" fan all the way over to the driver side. This leaves the other "half" of the radiator open. This space is to small to run a additional single fan. However i have in my possession (2) 6.75" radiator fans from an 08 GSXR 600.. These fans stacked on top of each other would fill the opening almost perfectly.. This would obviously get a lot more air across the radiator and they are very light.. Like 1lb light.

I have no clue what kind of CFM these things pull and cant find anything on line. Am I crazy or has anyone tried something similar?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely is not going to hurt anything. More air is better. It's a really good idea.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Definitely is not going to hurt anything. More air is better. It's a really good idea.
This is kind of what I'm thinking.. I don't really see a draw back besides the extra 2lbs.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a mishismoto 10 or 12inch on my turbo E30 and it wouldnt be able to keep up in summer heat in traffic.

I added a 05 ZX10 fan it it helped a ton. Street bike fans rip. Do it, it will work.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

I actually kept that fan for future builds because of how well it worked
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
X2. What have you got to lose
Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dburt86
I ran a mishismoto 10 or 12inch on my turbo E30 and it wouldnt be able to keep up in summer heat in traffic.

I added a 05 ZX10 fan it it helped a ton. Street bike fans rip. Do it, it will work.
Awesome. I knew i wasn't the only person out there who wanted to try this. I bet with two of them it will work great. Between the big *** trans cooler i put in last night and massive inter cooler in front of everything this 14" fan just isn't cutting it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this fan on ebay. What does everyone think? Hard to beat $24 shipped. lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-9-10-12-12V-80W-Slim-Reversible-Electric-Radiator-Cooling-Fan-Push-Pull-/360893261452?var=&hash=item5406ea268c&vxp=mtr#
Old 07-01-2015, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

The cheap fans usually use cheap motors and flow poorly. With a small fan you need something with a nice enough motor to turn alot of RPM.

Even a small shroud is better than no shroud. You can make one from a cookie sheet. How much space do you have from the radiator face to your water pump pulley? What water pump are you running? What is your current fan rated at?

Something like this would be my suggestion.

1 5/8 depth... still flows decent CFM and should leave enough room for a tiny shroud.

http://www.mattsonscustomradiator.com/side-winder.html

Last edited by Forcefed86; 07-01-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
The cheap fans usually use cheap motors and flow poorly. With a small fan you need something with a nice enough motor to turn alot of RPM.

Even a small shroud is better than no shroud. You can make one from a cookie sheet. How much space do you have from the radiator face to your water pump pulley? What water pump are you running? What is your current fan rated at?

Something like this would be my suggestion.

1 5/8 depth... still flows decent CFM and should leave enough room for a tiny shroud.

http://www.mattsonscustomradiator.com/side-winder.html

The water pump is not the issue. Its the "upper radiator suport" I built. it pins the fan up against the radiaotor so tightly that i had to shave off apart of the fan backing to fit properly. there is literally no room at all to back the fan off of the radiator.

That's a nice Fan but I'm sure its not cheap and the GSXR fans are Panasonic, Push a lot of air and was only $25. I guess i could always bend/redo the "upper radiator mount" to give the fan some more more room but a $25 dollar fan just seems like an easier fix

Name:  F6550D2F-5FFE-48BF-BBFA-BC32D6EDE710_zpshmkhsb2a.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  97.2 KBName:  1D28FFC0-4C2E-4B5F-883F-9511EC7F8F45_zps1f2clhjb.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  101.1 KB
Old 07-01-2015, 02:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Awee that’s not too bad. I’ve got 1/16th of an inch between my fan and water pump pulley

Hope it works for ya. Seems like 2 smaller quality fans would cover a lot more of the core if the bike fan doesn’t do the trick.
Even something like this would work better IMO.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 07-01-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Awee that’s not too bad. I’ve got 1/16th of an inch between my fan and water pump pulley

Hope it works for ya. Seems like 2 smaller quality fans would cover a lot more of the core if the bike fan doesn’t do the trick.
Well that's just it. The Panasonic (GSXR fans) are damn near 7" in diameter so basically I'm cramming in another 14" fan where it would be impossible other wise. I moved the main fan over to the left and mounted up one of the GSXR fans last night. Once the second mini fan is in place you will be hard pressed to find a piece of the core without a fan behind it. I feel like the Factory fans have got to be better made than any aftermarket china fan on ebay. I agree though i think a shroud would work way better. If i have any trouble with this at all im going to make a new upper radiator support bar and shroud.

The only thing i don't like about your picture is the shroud is basically touching the back of the Radiator. With the sheet metal basically flat up against the radiator i cant imagine that flowing very well going down the road. What is the actual stand off of the sheet metal to the back of the radiator?

Last edited by oscs; 07-01-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I've a 16" Spal and a 6" motorbike fan on mine.

They may not be huge, and more airflow over more of the core is always going to help. In my case it was a noticeable difference when stuck in traffic etc.

Absolutely go for it.

I would not do a blanking plate over the core like in the pic ForceFed has above.

For any small improvement it might have when stationary, it will hurt airflow through the core when actually driving.

If you look at any OEM rad shroud where it sits very tight, often it will have either mechanical or light rubber flaps to allow airflow through the entire core and out again when moving, but when sitting still the flaps close to help the fans pull air through more of the core.

I did try a tight fitting shroud on mine a few years back, maybe 3/4" clearance, and it really hurt cooling ability everywhere.

Only had one in the top corner as my supercharger belt passed by the lower section of rad. Corner of main fan body was cut away as blower pulley used to foul it too. It was very tight.

Have more room down there now though with the blower bits removed.
Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle Radiator fans-bike-fan.jpg  
Old 07-02-2015, 08:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I've a 16" Spal and a 6" motorbike fan on mine.

They may not be huge, and more airflow over more of the core is always going to help. In my case it was a noticeable difference when stuck in traffic etc.

Absolutely go for it.

I would not do a blanking plate over the core like in the pic ForceFed has above.

For any small improvement it might have when stationary, it will hurt airflow through the core when actually driving.

If you look at any OEM rad shroud where it sits very tight, often it will have either mechanical or light rubber flaps to allow airflow through the entire core and out again when moving, but when sitting still the flaps close to help the fans pull air through more of the core.

I did try a tight fitting shroud on mine a few years back, maybe 3/4" clearance, and it really hurt cooling ability everywhere.

Only had one in the top corner as my supercharger belt passed by the lower section of rad. Corner of main fan body was cut away as blower pulley used to foul it too. It was very tight.

Have more room down there now though with the blower bits removed.

I tried mounting the second Fan last night and it isn't going to fit.. I have to stick with a single 7" GSXR fan. Im really glad to hear it worked out for you. After adding a rather large Trans cooler in front of the radiator i was starting to get worried. Now that this fan is mounted behind it, Im hoping it will alleviate any problems it might have caused with flow and possibly even help cooling better than before.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 PM
8 Second Club

Default Motorcycle Radiator fans

Update.. That GSXR 600 fan moves some AIR! I only ended us being able to use one and damn it makes a difference. The car would idle at 195ish before and now it's hovering at 177*
Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great to see it worked. Thats why i love these forums, thanks for the update!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:40 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Little late to this party, but looking at your pics, a shroud would work wonders with just the fan you have. Pardon if I missed it, but why no shroud?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
Little late to this party, but looking at your pics, a shroud would work wonders with just the fan you have. Pardon if I missed it, but why no shroud?

Check out some of the pics i posted early in the thread. There is no room to back the fan off of the radiator for a shroud. The fan is literally touching the radiator. A shroud would do nothing but prevent flow as it would be touching the back of the radiator.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Radiator fans