Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger buddies please help . At a loss here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Procharger buddies please help . At a loss here.

Background

99 formula , manual trans , built rear . p1sc1 , ls6 intake , headers and full exhaust , water meth injection , btr 660 springs , hardened pushrods.

The car was fine the last two years with 3.5 inch dual intercoolers. Alternator went bad in October so since i have a sdce tensioner and its a pita to work with so i decided to go to a fmic and drop to a 3.0 pulley and go to 50 50 methanol and water from windshield washer fluid .

So i bring the car to the tuner last week , he calls it makes 6 lbs and 450 hp , two years previous it made 499 hp .

I get the car and pressure test the intercooler and piping . I have a leaky intercooler . I buy a new eBay intercooler and install it , pressure test it all again and it holds 18lbs .

At this point my tuner thought the procharger needed to be freshened so i sent it out since it was leaking from the seal . Procharger changed a seal and i think thats it , to the tune of $468 bucks .

So now i put it back in bring it up last Sunday , he calls Monday no power its belt is slipping . Okay so i pick it up retension the sdce to 20 and bring it back up that night .

Tuesday he calls and its still slipping made 6 lbs first pull then 2 each time when it was hot .

So i go it on Tuesday , order a new gates green belt , get pissed and want the car to just work so i put the 3.4 pulley back on and a 51inch belt .

51 inches and a 3.4 is where i made 499 and 9lbs at 6200 2 years ago.

The belt is so tight i needed to spin the engine over by hand to thread it on .

Thats just how it was two years ago .

So Thursday i get the belt on , retension the sdce to like 22 , i bring it up Thursday night and he dynos it today .

No go i made 5 lbs of boost or 4 at 5500 and then it tapers to 1 lb at 6400 .

He thinks no belt slip along with me bc the belt is a gates fleet belt , its wicked tight and it makes 5 lbs each time at 5500. But always tapers to 1 at redline .

He took the vacuum source off the big red race valve so all the air would go to the engine and same thing . So like i assume that's good too.

My tuner swears its the procharger , but procharger says that's not possible , it must be belt slip . But be both feel its not belt slip . It didn't slip two years ago with the 51 belt and 3.4 pulley .

Where could i be losing boost , he said he checked all the joints with soap and i use t bolt clamps at each connection .

He said he has seen first hand two p1sc1 have boost issues and get upgraded to d1 and then be fine . Procharger assures me that its gear driven and as long as its spun it makes power.

So he wants me to send it to procharger to be upgraded , i just dont think its possoibe it could be back and it cant be belt slip . What the hell else can i check . Im freaking lost and still havent floored the car this year.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off that seal is a $4 seal. You can buy them from superchargers online for $45 but another source says $4.http://www.v6mustang.com/threads/pro....270808/page-5

Also if it were mine I'd test the system it with compressed air. Or run a pipe from sc straight to tb to see if boost picks up.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

im not messing with the procharger im not a mechanic and dont want to ruin an expensive charger .

Im going to have to test the system again .
Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Crank pulley is spun on the crank
Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 AM
TECH Junkie

The crank is pinned
Old 07-07-2015, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

IS their any possible way for the procharger to be bad , it makes 4-5lbs then drops . How would i test out if i had a cracked intake manifold ??
Old 07-07-2015, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

is the tensioner bad on the sdce?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

just made a new one over the winter and had it set to 22 ish . Its tight as hell .
Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

also have you changed anything else that would have allowed the car to breath better?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

it has a slp loudmouth catback now , it had a 3.5inch mufflex before with dual tips. IT wasnt loud enough .

Im just still scratching my head as to what it could be , i really dont see how the procharger could be bad , and belt slip i cant imagine .

The crank was pinned and if that broke over that pin wouldnt that make a terrible horrendous noise .

Cracked ls6 intake ? another hole in the intercooler ? the big red race valve is hood up to the same vacuum source as the pro flo valve was . and also the valve was disconnected from vacuum for a pull and it didnt help .

its gotta be a boost leak somewhere . gets to 5 psi then goes to 1
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem with my D1SC took me forever to figure it out.. the tuner kept telling me how he has installed multiple prochargers and never ran into issues. turns out the freaken belt was just not tight enough, we thought it was and after a few phone calls to procharger we were frustrated so we tightened that thing as much as we could, I thought it was going to snap! turned it on back on tune made 13 lbs vs 6lbs. kept loosing around 6lbs. no Idea how tight that belt is but it actually ended being the belt on my end. me and the tuner still scratched our heads when we saw boost fly up.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have the original pulley back on it I say put the twin 3.5's back on and see what the boost does. If its back to where it was then you will know something is wrong with the intercooler air flow. This wouldnt necessarily indicate belt slip but rather a lack of the prochargers ability to move air past a restriction in the system.

Also just taking the vaccum source off the race valve wont guarantee that just the internal spring pressure will hold the valve closed. I think it takes the extra positive air pressure to help the spring but I may be wrong on that.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

unfortunately i dont have the procharger twins anymore , sold them to pay for the race valve and stuff.

i think im going to pressure test it again .
Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of things to do...

#1 With the car in idle pull the vacuum off the by pass and hold your hand there to feel if any air is coming out. The spring pressure should hold it closed.... Mine does any ways.

#2 Pressure test the entire plumbing system, from the blower to the throttle body.

#3 Did you put the key back in the blower when when you changed the pulley ???

#4 Like "blown06" said, is pulley spinning on the crank snout. I know you said it was pinned but have you pulled the bolt out of the crank to check to see if it's still in place ???

#5 Any belt dust on the head unit ???

#6 What are you using for the filter and blower hat ???
Old 07-07-2015, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Check the MAP sensor on the back of the intake. Double check all the couplers also.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:36 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Check your bypass valve. Mine went bad and would leak boost back into the intake. Replaced it and all was good.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

One point I guess I screwed up on. I'm not running a dedicated lline for a vacuum source. I'm running the small rubber line I used from the pro flow valve. The vacuum is coming from by the pcm. It's the hvac vacuum source.

I pressure tested the whole intercooler system today

I put the key in when I put the 3.4 back on.

No belt dust at all.

I'm running the same procharger hat that I have always had. It has the larger 2010 camaro air filter.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Where are you guys getting your vacuum to run the hard plastic line to the race valve. ?

I was thinking about drilling and tapping the manifold right behind the tb or doing a t in the brake booster line
Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a vacuum manifold and plumb it to the back of the intake manifold and run everything off of it.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

what size is the id of the brake boost vacuum line ?

Quick Reply: Procharger buddies please help . At a loss here.