Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Derale Fans Blew Both 30A Fuses-Wired Right? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Derale Fans Blew Both 30A Fuses-Wired Right? HELP

Ok so I cranked my car for the first time last night, and my fans didn't kick on. I have read other fan threads, and this is what I have done so far.

Now, to begin with I had them wired up wrong where both fans kicked on when I hooked up the battery because I stupidly ran both, the red wires and the yellow wires, to the positive post on the fuse box.

After that I ran the Red wires from the relay to the fuse box post
Yellow wires to the 2 factory fan plugs for the switch (used male spade to plug into the positive wires on the plugs)
I replaced the Derale fuses and holders with new ones from Autozone and ran the orange wires from the relay to the blue wires coming off the fans (positive wires I think)
The ground wires from the fans and the relay I ran to one ground location that I screwed into the frame on the drivers side
Green wires off the relay are cut because I have no AC

Is this right? I feel like I must have a short somewhere because both fuses were blown right away, but maybe those fans just kick up over 30A on startup and that caused them to blow?

Any help will be appreciated
Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you able to run directly to the battery for your power? I haven't had an issue with mine. I avoid the battery post since I had a friend that put a HID relay harness and it completely melted. My understanding was the alternator pumps extra voltage or something up there and that was what could cause it.

Just something to try. I've been running mine over a year now going straight to the battery with no issue at all. My fans even stopped working the other day and I instantly thought about this and checked my fuses and they looked the same as the day I dropped them in there. Ended up my ground wire got pulled out somehow.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I may try that. Thanks. Do all of the rest of my wires sound like they are hooked up right?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Find the factory High-speed signal on the ECM (ground), use that to trigger aftermarket relays that are connected to the fans.

The stock wiring can't handle the derale fans, they draw too much. I tried using the factory connectors as well and ended up cutting them off. A buddy helped me wire in two completely separate relays and fuse holders, haven't had an issue since with my fans.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

I used 30 amp auto circuit breakers for my fuse side, and no problems so far.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transam69230
Find the factory High-speed signal on the ECM (ground), use that to trigger aftermarket relays that are connected to the fans.

The stock wiring can't handle the derale fans, they draw too much. I tried using the factory connectors as well and ended up cutting them off. A buddy helped me wire in two completely separate relays and fuse holders, haven't had an issue since with my fans.
With the yellow relay trigger wires plugged into the factory plugs, isn't this using the factory wiring as a trigger only?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

This is how I had mine wired.
Yellow (trigger hot) to 12v+
Red (main power hot) to 12v+
Orange (main power hot) to fans
Black (trigger ground) to PCM trigger wires

If I ever replace the wiring, I'd do it so that the fuse is between the relay and the 12v power supply (i.e. reverse the red and orange wires).
Old 07-09-2015, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Remember, the ECM grounds the trigger circuit, so the other low voltage wire has to be 12v+

From the way you described it, you have both sides of the relay trigger grounded.

Last edited by V-10 Killer; 07-09-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Remember, the ECM grounds the trigger circuit, so the other low voltage wire has to be 12v+

From the way you described it, you have both sides of the relay trigger grounded.
Sooooo...for the people retarded with wiring, what do I need to swap around to fix this? Sorry, I literally know next to nothing about wiring
Old 07-09-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nvm, I got it to work. Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Maybe...

Originally Posted by 97_ek
Nvm, I got it to work. Thanks guys
Share what you did???
Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Share what you did???
I was still inside the car on a lift when my buddies down below said it was fixed, so I didn't know yet what they did. Maybe don't put rolled eyes on your post?

To answer your question, we really didn't do anything besides replace the blown fuses. The next time the fans came on they didn't blow them, and they worked as they should. However I took the car up the road right after that, turned it off, and when I turned it back on one of the fans kicked on and then blew the fuse. I think it's just the startup amperage is blowing the fuse, and once they get going they run at under 30 amps. I'm going to get a couple of 40 amp fuses to throw in there to see if they still blow. If they do, I know I have a short somewhere or something, but if they don't I'm going to go under the assumption that the startup spike is what is blowing the fuses currently.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97_ek
I was still inside the car on a lift when my buddies down below said it was fixed, so I didn't know yet what they did. Maybe don't put rolled eyes on your post?

To answer your question, we really didn't do anything besides replace the blown fuses. The next time the fans came on they didn't blow them, and they worked as they should. However I took the car up the road right after that, turned it off, and when I turned it back on one of the fans kicked on and then blew the fuse. I think it's just the startup amperage is blowing the fuse, and once they get going they run at under 30 amps. I'm going to get a couple of 40 amp fuses to throw in there to see if they still blow. If they do, I know I have a short somewhere or something, but if they don't I'm going to go under the assumption that the startup spike is what is blowing the fuses currently.
Did they still blow if you relocated to the battery for power instead of the jump start post?

Buddy had his boost a pump wired to his jump post and it stopped working, low and behold we look at the fuse and it was melted. I'm wondering if that is what is causing people grief with some of this stuff. I'm no wiring expert so it is a shot in the dark though.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not buy the harness racetronix sells? Peace of mind for 110$
Old 07-10-2015, 01:47 AM

I avoid the battery post since I had a friend that put a HID relay harness and it completely melted.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I meant to try relocating that to the battery yesterday, and I forgot
Old 07-10-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Here's what I did and it seems to be working good. The fuses that come in the Derale kit are super cheap and the metal is really thin so I upgraded mine to some high quality 40 amp ones before I had an issue based on what I've been reading. This is how I wired it too:
Fan power supply from the positive jump post.
Grounds on the core support on drivers side where there are already factory grounds.
Used the positive and negative wires from the factory fans to activate the Derale relay. Both fans operate independently of each other as they did from the factory and so far so good!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The ******
Here's what I did and it seems to be working good. The fuses that come in the Derale kit are super cheap and the metal is really thin so I upgraded mine to some high quality 40 amp ones before I had an issue based on what I've been reading. This is how I wired it too:
Fan power supply from the positive jump post.
Grounds on the core support on drivers side where there are already factory grounds.
Used the positive and negative wires from the factory fans to activate the Derale relay. Both fans operate independently of each other as they did from the factory and so far so good!
Yep, mine operate independently of each other too. I think I just need some 40amp fuses to keep them from popping on startup. Thanks for the info on your setup
Old 05-07-2017, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

40A fuses?! Sorry to revive and old thread, but does that work? I'm blowing both fuses pretty much every other drive.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I contacted Derale and they said to use these...https://derale.com/products/electric...r-11-32-detail

Quick Reply: Derale Fans Blew Both 30A Fuses-Wired Right? HELP