Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

05 colorado SBE 6.0/C480/4l80e 9.78@143 foot brake 3850lbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Depends on the injectors.

I've seen those piece of **** ID injectors fail within weeks with only a 30 micron filter. And they fail in a dangerous manner for the engine clogging up very quickly.

After seeing how bad they got so easily, I'd never use an Injector Dynamics injector again. They claim their injectors need no larger than 6 micron filters !!
Then when you ask them who offers such filters...they struggled to tell you who.

I've been running Siemens injectors on my own car for over 10 years with only 40 microns and never had an issue. In fact for a long time I only had a single 100 micron filter on it and never had a problem.
Interestingly I have mine all apart at the minute and was quite surprised how dirty they were.
40 micron Holley filters, 1 prior to each 044 and run for about 4-5 years now, but maybe only 15,000 miles or so.

Always pump fuel from normal stations etc
I'm having a hard time siding with you on this. If you are clogging up an injector with trash, I can't help but think that it is not the injectors fault. There are tons of people using ID injectors (including me) with zero issues. Common sense tells me the problem you had was likely due to a **** filtration system or your tank was just full of ****. The one fact about your post/scenario is that you had a significant amount of trash in the system. If you didn't then you wouldn't have clogged them in the first place.

In your opinion, what is it about an ID injector that makes it more prone to clogging than another brand of injector on any given set up?

I don't want to say that your post is unfounded, but if you're fuel system is filled with a crazy amount of trash (which you qualified in your statement), the fix is not replacing a shitty injector. The fix is cleaning the system and running the correct filter.

If I'm off base here, teach me something.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

The ID injectors are made by Bosch as are many others. FIC for instance.
I can't really see them being more plug prone.
I have top hats on mine, and the top hats have little screens in them. I check from time to time, never anything in them.

I also use a spin on fuel filter. WIX 33107. Flows 12-55 GPM and is a 10 micron filter. Costs about $7. I replace every two years. Cut them and no ill effects from the E85.
I put this setup on my car in 1997........

I use the same filter on my oil furnace. Ha!

Ron
Old 02-15-2017, 05:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'm having a hard time siding with you on this. If you are clogging up an injector with trash, I can't help but think that it is not the injectors fault. There are tons of people using ID injectors (including me) with zero issues. Common sense tells me the problem you had was likely due to a **** filtration system or your tank was just full of ****. The one fact about your post/scenario is that you had a significant amount of trash in the system. If you didn't then you wouldn't have clogged them in the first place.

In your opinion, what is it about an ID injector that makes it more prone to clogging than another brand of injector on any given set up?

I don't want to say that your post is unfounded, but if you're fuel system is filled with a crazy amount of trash (which you qualified in your statement), the fix is not replacing a shitty injector. The fix is cleaning the system and running the correct filter.

If I'm off base here, teach me something.
The car had 30 micron filters ( 1 before each pump ). Same filters we've used on dozens of other cars with other injectors and never had a single issue despite years of use.

The car was a brand new build, all lines, tank etc 100% clean and it wasnt even a fully road used car so given how quickly these failed, there is a major issue.
Where the dirt comes from...who knows, but certainly it was never filled with anything dirty, but this would be in way less than 1000 miles of usage. Every time we went out in the car either tuning, racing, whatever...we kept having to add fuel for no apparent reason and it really started running like a piece of **** down low.
The only thing that saved it, and perhaps I should pinpoint ID1000's as the problem here, because the same car ran ID2000's as secondary injectors, same fuel system, installed on same rails...and they worked fine and continued to be fine even after 2 sets of ID1000's died.

After failure on 2 sets of ID injectors, we changed all the injectors to ASNU. Although did add a 10 micron filter too. We will never use an ID injector of any size again.

There is no doubt dirt was the issue, but when ID could only name one filter manufacturer who offered a filter to match the filtration spec they needed....that doesnt inspire confidence.

Of course all filter suppliers tell you that you cannot use paper filters with methanol or ethanol ( this car runs a moderate percentage of methanol ), eventually Aeromotive where the only company to claim they had a reliable filter for this with their new microglass.
No doubt many will use paper/cellulose, but there also seem to be a lot of threads where the filters ( and injectors in some cases ) gum up with such usage.

And as said, even on my own car with some 10 years use firstly on only a 100 micron filter and for the last 4-5 years on 40 micron...the Siemens I've been using have been faultless the entire time.
That is also a proper injector.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not wanting to sound stupid but are you plumbing these filters on the return side
Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rt338b
Not wanting to sound stupid but are you plumbing these filters on the return side
Filters are on the supply side to prevent dirt from getting to the injectors.

Some even have filters before and after the pump. A larger micron filter before the pump, say 100 microns and a smaller one after the pump, say 10-20 microns.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM
8 Second Club

How many of you ethanol users still have the blue foam in your cells? I started finding tons of it broken up in my filters. After a quick call to RCI and a few other manufacturers they all said the foam wasn't designed to with stand wet/dry cycles with ethanol. Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
How many of you ethanol users still have the blue foam in your cells? I started finding tons of it broken up in my filters. After a quick call to RCI and a few other manufacturers they all said the foam wasn't designed to with stand wet/dry cycles with ethanol. Just a thought.
foam is worthless imho in a ethanol situation
Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nali6.2
foam is worthless imho in a ethanol situation
I was under the impression it was there to stop the sloshing around. What would be the difference between gas/ethanol?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:56 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The car had 30 micron filters ( 1 before each pump ). Same filters we've used on dozens of other cars with other injectors and never had a single issue despite years of use.

The car was a brand new build, all lines, tank etc 100% clean and it wasnt even a fully road used car so given how quickly these failed, there is a major issue.
Where the dirt comes from...who knows, but certainly it was never filled with anything dirty, but this would be in way less than 1000 miles of usage. Every time we went out in the car either tuning, racing, whatever...we kept having to add fuel for no apparent reason and it really started running like a piece of **** down low.
The only thing that saved it, and perhaps I should pinpoint ID1000's as the problem here, because the same car ran ID2000's as secondary injectors, same fuel system, installed on same rails...and they worked fine and continued to be fine even after 2 sets of ID1000's died.

After failure on 2 sets of ID injectors, we changed all the injectors to ASNU. Although did add a 10 micron filter too. We will never use an ID injector of any size again.

There is no doubt dirt was the issue, but when ID could only name one filter manufacturer who offered a filter to match the filtration spec they needed....that doesnt inspire confidence.

Of course all filter suppliers tell you that you cannot use paper filters with methanol or ethanol ( this car runs a moderate percentage of methanol ), eventually Aeromotive where the only company to claim they had a reliable filter for this with their new microglass.
No doubt many will use paper/cellulose, but there also seem to be a lot of threads where the filters ( and injectors in some cases ) gum up with such usage.

And as said, even on my own car with some 10 years use firstly on only a 100 micron filter and for the last 4-5 years on 40 micron...the Siemens I've been using have been faultless the entire time.
That is also a proper injector.
Here is the part that I don't understand...

You said the entire car/fuel system (including tank, lines, fittings, filters, injectors, etc) was brand new and clean. Then you say the injectors failed due to being clogged with trash.

One statement has to be false. Common sense tells us that those two statements can not exist together and both be true........right?

Of the thousands of people/cars using ID injectors without issue......do you think that maybe your issue was not the fault of the injector but rather some other part of the fuel system or installation?

I'm certainly not trying to argue with you or question your abilities in this hobby. Also, I have taken note of all the tech you have provided both here and on the bullet (some of which even helped me through some issues). I'm just trying to understand your complete withdraw from using ID injectors forever.

Then again there are circumstances where certain combinations of people/parts just mysteriously never work. Maybe this is just one of those strange anomalies.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
Here is the part that I don't understand...

You said the entire car/fuel system (including tank, lines, fittings, filters, injectors, etc) was brand new and clean. Then you say the injectors failed due to being clogged with trash.

One statement has to be false. Common sense tells us that those two statements can not exist together and both be true........right?

Of the thousands of people/cars using ID injectors without issue......do you think that maybe your issue was not the fault of the injector but rather some other part of the fuel system or installation?

I'm certainly not trying to argue with you or question your abilities in this hobby. Also, I have taken note of all the tech you have provided both here and on the bullet (some of which even helped me through some issues). I'm just trying to understand your complete withdraw from using ID injectors forever.

Then again there are circumstances where certain combinations of people/parts just mysteriously never work. Maybe this is just one of those strange anomalies.
I guess it depends what you perceive as clean.

Clearly in this case either the filters were not doing their job at 30 microns....or particles between 6-30 microns caused the ID1000's to fail in no time at all, yet the ID2000's were perfectly fine.
But clean in terms of the system is as clean as any human can possible get it and as clean as you can pump raw fuel from a filling station into a clean plastic drum.

I guess the reason the 2000's were ok...is because they are an un-modified injector and not something ID had tampered with ?

As for others using them...until you start googling for such things, you do assume there are no problems and you may be the only one. After it happens you....you tend to find otherwise.

But yes it does seem "dirt" is part of, or wholly the cause of the total failure of the injectors. Not dirt you would ever see really. as it is in the microscopic range.
ID lack of ability to name filter suppliers capable of meeting their demands other than the one mentioned...nope none of it inspires any confidence to use their products again.

Add to that anyway, certainly at that time their injectors were not suitable for many oxygenated fuels etc. We have never used such fuels, but will do at some time.

At least with the ASNU's they can use pretty much any fuel without worry and they can be serviced locally if need be. Although some 4 years on in that car they're still working perfectly ( albeit with 10 micron filters in place too )
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was under the impression it was there to stop the sloshing around. What would be the difference between gas/ethanol?
I have used alcohol in the race car for 30 years and anything with that base destroys the foam and messes things up. They do have a foam that is compatible with it.

Jaz fuel cell site
Fuel cell foam for JAZ Products fuel cells. Every JAZ fuel cell uses mil spec aviation safety foam (unless noted, ''without foam''). This foam is far superior and has a 10 times longer service life than that of other non fuel approved foams on the market. Never use foam in a fuel cell when using alcohol or E85. Check foam from time to time for breakdown.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Teching In

I was under the impression that ID didn't actually manufacture anything, but instead flow tested large batches of Bosch injectors and matched them up into closely flowing sets.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I looked into it, even most Bosch OEM filters only quoted around 20 Microns.

Maybe they are better in reality, but that's what they were quoting. And as said, even ID struggled to name any suppliers of filters sub 10 microns !
The only one they did was a spin on style at a few hundred dollars each.
Wix stock replacement filters. TPI 4 micron Lt1 10 micron. Available at your local parts store.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

ethanol eats the foam. the same way it eats fuel lines
Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nali6.2
ethanol eats the foam. the same way it eats fuel lines
Right. That's what I said earlier. You threw me off with the "useless" comment. It's more like "dangerous"
Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rt338b
I have used alcohol in the race car for 30 years and anything with that base destroys the foam and messes things up. They do have a foam that is compatible with it.

Jaz fuel cell site
Fuel cell foam for JAZ Products fuel cells. Every JAZ fuel cell uses mil spec aviation safety foam (unless noted, ''without foam''). This foam is far superior and has a 10 times longer service life than that of other non fuel approved foams on the market. Never use foam in a fuel cell when using alcohol or E85. Check foam from time to time for breakdown.
That's the thing ticked me off. No where in the advertisement or specs did it mention anything about the degrading of the foam, I had to find out the hard way. When I called it took a day or two before someone there could clarify. They need to do a better job of laying out the facts up front.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Wix stock replacement filters. TPI 4 micron Lt1 10 micron. Available at your local parts store.
I dont think my local parts store would carry anything for an LS1..LT1..or American anything lol

Just the wrong continent and any OEM type filters here wouldnt be worth **** all for anything making any power.

Although no doubt the big spin on filters for agri machinery could well have something, it would be just finding room for such filters
Old 02-19-2017, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work Matt keep it up. Impressive
Old 02-26-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get that thing dynoed yet again?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah it busted some ringlands when his map sensor took a crap