Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Knock sensors needed or not.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensors needed or not.

5.3 Gen III in a 62 impala. Single turbo. Do I need the knock sensors tied into the system or not.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2015, 05:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I disabled mine, some use them, some don't-I may one day play with using them, if I learn how to tweak them
Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Junk. Throw away

They are calibrated for completely OEM, that's it

Change anything, cam, valve train, engine mounts, exhaust, Perty much anything and they are worthless
Old 07-19-2015, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Junk. Throw away

They are calibrated for completely OEM, that's it

Change anything, cam, valve train, engine mounts, exhaust, Perty much anything and they are worthless
There are settings within the software to allow the user to calibrate them correctly though ?

IMO it's senseless to throw them away. By all means turn any controlling action off if you are unsure how to set things up correctly, but there is no harm having there and logging information when you want.
Then you can set things up correctly, again up to whoever is tuning it how much correction they allow if any noises are heard.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gm spends so many hours calibrating those things to work with a specific combination that really when you modify the cam, exhaust etc they get thrown off so even with bolt ons they're out of whack.

I have messed with the sensitivity settings and found that if you leave them stock they dont pick up much of anything with the increased noise from mods but if you start increasing sensitivity there isnt really a happy medium. either they pick up nothing at all or they pick up all sorts of false knock and cause issues.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Yup truth
Old 07-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate it and look forward to not using them.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I don't use mine. Lots of noise with a solid roller though.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I know they moved them from the valley to the block somewhere, was that to try and get away from engine noise, make them read engine "pain", lol, better
Old 07-20-2015, 07:22 AM
9 Second Club

I use knock sensors on mine, and it works fine...but I'm not using an OEM ecu
Old 07-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine is there but not doing much other than keeping the water in the block. lol
Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Would engine knock or pings be less "noisy" as compared to all the other noise? If so, then the knock sensors would be useless. If not, why not at least try?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

knock sensors are calibrated to listen for one specific noise on a very fine frequency. when you change the location with sensors that werent calibrated or made for it they will pick up all sorts of excess noise and not pick out the pinging noise.

sure everyone is free to try. I did. After talking to katech and slowhawk though I decided to stop messing with them as I had the same issues they did
Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

Knock sensors on modern cars are generally wideband sensors, they simply listen over a wide range.

The ecu then filters this out, listening more closely to certain frequencies, and in better systems only listening through a specific window of crank degrees on a per cylinder basis, again this helps with filtering out unwanted noises.

But it isnt just the frequency, it's also noise changes or patterns. Clearly background noise that's always increasing is of no concern, it's any loud spikes that are of more interest.

It will of course boil down to the ecu you're using, how configurable it is, and the person using it.

But as said, if they're there, it can do no harm to have them there simply listening. Again, it's up to the tuner as to any controlling action they allow based on what is being heard.

If you arent confident with the setup, just listen and dont try and correct anything.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I know a couple turbo guys who turned them off because they used solid mounts and the sensors talked at idle.
About 6 engines later, both went to forged bottom ends.

If you are hearing knock under high boost, the damage is done.

I've two hotrodded LS engines. One NA on gas, one turbo on E85.
Knock sensors are slightly desensitized, and set up to decay quickly. I see the knock, I never hear it. Trimming timing just ahead of where the KR occurs fixes it.

I think they are a good tuning aid. At least in my case.

Ron
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't use them
Old 07-21-2015, 05:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I know a couple turbo guys who turned them off because they used solid mounts and the sensors talked at idle.
About 6 engines later, both went to forged bottom ends.

If you are hearing knock under high boost, the damage is done.

I've two hotrodded LS engines. One NA on gas, one turbo on E85.
Knock sensors are slightly desensitized, and set up to decay quickly. I see the knock, I never hear it. Trimming timing just ahead of where the KR occurs fixes it.

I think they are a good tuning aid. At least in my case.

Ron
Mines solid mounted and solid roller.

Knock sensor feedback works just fine, but again it does boil down to the ecu you're using and how configurable the knock detection, and subsequent knock control you allow it.

Used correctly, good knock detection always makes sense....whether in the form of electronic devices, or the most basic, and arguably perhaps the best, a plain and simple stethoscope/det cans as they're more commonly called.
You can pick up even the slightest onset of knock with those, and it is always sensible to back up and configure any electronic means with the stethoscope.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently switched from an ls1 to an ls3 and moved mine to the sides of the block. I wasn't seeing any knock, ever, not even tip in or burst or any at all. So I began adjusting the sensitivity of them a little at a time. Granted, my tune is conservative, so I don't expect to experience knock, but it is a nice safety net. I continued to increase the sensitivity till I noticed an occasion 0.5-1.0 degree of knock detection during high load, high torque times. I then decreased the sensitivity by a little bit.

The way I look at it, is it's a safety net in case something goes wrong. If the build is done right, fuel source is consistent, and the tune is conservative, you don't have to worry, but show me someone who actually measures their octane each time they get gas? Mistakes can happen, so it's nice to have them as a backup. I don't tune based off them, but since I have them, I made use of them.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually measure my octane every time i get gas BUT i rarely drive my car on the street.
The following users liked this post:
Capecodder (12-21-2023)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I recently switched from an ls1 to an ls3 and moved mine to the sides of the block. I wasn't seeing any knock, ever, not even tip in or burst or any at all. So I began adjusting the sensitivity of them a little at a time. Granted, my tune is conservative, so I don't expect to experience knock, but it is a nice safety net. I continued to increase the sensitivity till I noticed an occasion 0.5-1.0 degree of knock detection during high load, high torque times. I then decreased the sensitivity by a little bit.

The way I look at it, is it's a safety net in case something goes wrong. If the build is done right, fuel source is consistent, and the tune is conservative, you don't have to worry, but show me someone who actually measures their octane each time they get gas? Mistakes can happen, so it's nice to have them as a backup. I don't tune based off them, but since I have them, I made use of them.
Exactly how they should be used. As a safety net if things do go wrong.

Of course their ability to pick up noise in conjunction with logging, can be helpful when diagnosing other problems. If you start seeing lots of noise for no reason and you know the tune is safe...then you might need to delve deeper into the engine.

Quick Reply: Knock sensors needed or not.