Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 2001 Camaro SS Huron Speed Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2001 Camaro SS Huron Speed Build Thread

Hey guys,

I figured I would start a new thread over here since my thread in the Camaro section has kind of fizzled out. I am just going to include the link to it here and I will build from there. The turbo build starts on page 7. The previous thread goes through all three phases the car has gone through since I've owned it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...camaro-ss.html
Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tuned on the car some more tonight. When we got up to about 13-14 lbs the car started cutting out once we hit full boost. I'm thinking it's blowing the spark out. I didn't regap the plugs when I put them in, and I think they come at .035. They are br7ef plugs. I'm going to take them down to .028 tomorrow and try it again. The car is ridiculous up around 12-14 lbs though. It is a lot to hold on to in 3rd. Boost is fun!
Old 07-23-2015, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Bud couldn't figure out how to send it pm on my cell phone. So posted it on the thread. Lmk what settings work for you.
Attached Thumbnails My 2001 Camaro SS Huron Speed Build Thread-image.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This pic might be better.
Attached Thumbnails My 2001 Camaro SS Huron Speed Build Thread-image.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Randolph Ziskey
This pic might be better.
Awesome man, thanks for the pic. That'll help a ton. I'll let you know once I get to adjust them some and get them where I want them
Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I pulled the plugs yesterday to check the gap and all the plugs were already at .028. I lowered them down to about .026. I also noticed that a couple of them weren't very tight, like not even snugged up, so that could be where my issue was coming from. I tightened everything back down, and made a pull at 11 lbs. It didn't seem to misfire like it was, so I'm assuming it fixed it.

We are going to start tuning some more today on it, and if the rain holds off I'm probably going to take it to Steele tonight to get an idea of where I'm at.

One thing I did get reminded of yesterday was a bad driveline vibration once I reach about 90-95 mph. It has been there ever since I bought the car back (and since the rearend and chromoly driveshaft were put in). I'm almost positive it is the driveshaft. According to some threads on ls1tech, several people have had this issue with the Strange chromoly driveshafts, and the ones that talked to Strange about it said that Strange had issues with these driveshafts on the t56 trans. The slip yoke apparently has a little bit of play between the splines when it slides on the output shaft of the trans. Usually they swap out the yoke for a different style and it fixes the problem. I am going to call Strange today to see what I can get done.

Also, Randolph, I adjusted my suspension a little bit yesterday for ride comfort. I made the settings a tad stiffer than the sheet suggested and it is a big improvement over what I had before. I have the fronts set to 6c, 10r and the rears set to 5c, 7r.

Hopefully have some good updates tomorrow
Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been fighting some gremlins with this one here lately, but I think I have them sorted out for the most part.

To start with, I had a battery terminal bolt that stripped out that I had to replace. Then right atfer that, my left rear brake line rubbed against my exhaust manifold and rubbed a hole in it. Got that fixed, and then my car started pouring oil smoke out of the exhaust. I assumed it was due to the small slope on the drain line with the Huron Speed kits coupled with the fact that I was running no restrictor with the ball bearing turbo. I added a .060 restrictor to it, no change. I figured the seals may have gone bad, but before I pulled the turbo I wanted to try one more restrictor. I threw a .030 restrictor in it yesterday and it seemed to clear up the smoking. If there is any, its not even enough where I can see it coming out. I think it may be fixed, so I may be able to finally get back to tuning the car.

Also, before I installed the .030 restrictor I took a weekend trip to Gatlinburg, and I left the car at home. When I got home, I returned to this in my passenger floorboard.

[img][/img]

Ended up being the big grommet where the harness runs through the firewall. I didn't set it right after I ran my fuel pump hotwire kit through there. Stupid mistake...May end up having to replace the carpet in the car due to the smell. I have it propped up and drying now, but I think its ruined due to sitting all weekend before I found it. If the smell won't go away once dry, I'll have to pull the carpet and replace it The good news is, the car needed an interior detail badly since the build got done. The shop floor was super dusty/dirty and a lot of that got on my carpet during the build process. At least now it'll have fresh clean carpet one way or another.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. Looking forward to seeing this thing completely tuned and rocking. I may eventually do a similar build on my 98 SS M6 I just picked up. I want to retain a/c though and the Huron kit looks like it's the way to go.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
That sucks man, sorry to hear it. Looking forward to seeing this thing completely tuned and rocking. I may eventually do a similar build on my 98 SS M6 I just picked up. I want to retain a/c though and the Huron kit looks like it's the way to go.
I wish I had just waited for the AC kit to get finished up, but I got impatient and swapped to the non-AC. If I still have the car next summer I may swap it out.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28

if you are thinking about getting an AC kit, this week is a great time to do it. I am running a sale with 10% off of everything. hundreds of dollars of savings when you get a kit with components etc! my email is in my sig, shoot me an email and lets talk a bit about it!

to the OP, cant wait til you get it really ironed out and can enjoy it more! great results so far.

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I drove the car again yesterday with no smoking issues. I believe the .030 restrictor fixed my issue. Joseph and I started trying to calibrate the LC2 with the computer after that. That's when I saw a little bit of smoke coming from the engine bay....Apparently the small coolant hose that runs from the radiator to the intake crossover pipe somehow got over into my serpentine belt and put a hole in it. There was coolant slung everywhere, but nothing is hurt. Just another pesky issue to deal with, but I should have it fixed today.

I love hotrodding....
Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I got the coolant line fixed, the next day one of the power steering lines that go to the power steering cooler popped a hole in it and leaked on the exhaust manifold. Fixed that Saturday. Today we were finally able to tune some more. The last full log we made we were at 15 lbs and 14* of timing. Also smoothed out the fuel table quite a bit and we're running around 11.4:1 AFR pretty much all the time in WOT. IATs only saw a max of 103* on a full 3rd gear pull, and that was after it came down from around 113 when I started due to idleing in a parking lot before the pull. It feels pretty dang strong. 2nd gear is useless on these tires, but third gear pulls really hard. I went to turn the boost up to 16 lbs and it blew out the IAT sensor. I'm probably going to have to get a threaded IAT sensor and a bung welded in.

Where do you guys usually get your threaded IAT sensors?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Teching In

I used Amazon:

"GM Delphi Packard Intake Air Temperature Sensor # 25036751 w Keyway Connector"
Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, hopefully I can have the new bung welded in and be rolling again in the next few days.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got it running again yesterday, and took a 3rd gear pull video. I need some tires soon. Ready to be able to do a full pull through 1st and 2nd

http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/davidk72008/media/Snapchat-1557562210021278691_zpscbubqeby.mp4.html
Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Little update here. I have been trying to track down a popping noise under my car(one that has been there since I first bought my car back with the new rearend and driveshaft). I took the car to a local shop the other day to finish aligning everything suspension-wise and I was going to get them to check my pinion angle for me since I installed the adjustable torque arm. When I went to pick it up, they informed me that my driveshaft was too long. Made sense because I noticed when I pulled the driveshaft for the turbo build I noticed that I could barely get it to slide forward far enough to slide it out of the rearend yoke. I had no knowledge on correct driveshaft length, so I didnt think much about it. I measured it today, and it only has 1/4" of travel before the slip yoke bottoms out in the trans, so I think this is where my popping has been coming from. I will be sending my driveshaft to Birmingham Spring tomorrow to get it shortened 5/8" since I read that the slip yoke needs to have between 3/4" and 1" of travel when bolted to the rearend yoke. I'll update when I get it put back in. This has been an annoying problem, so I'll be pumped if this fixes it. Hopefully it hasn't damaged anything in the trans from bottoming out...

In other news, it spun the tires in 3rd today in boost, so the little 4.8 is making some steam
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the driveshaft put back in today after getting it shortened and balanced at Birmingham Spring. Bad news is, my popping is still there. Good news is, my high speed vibration is gone Smile One less thing. Going to take it back to the exhaust shop and get the to cut the exhaust off it to see if that is causing it. I didn't notice the popping before I got the downpipe connected to my over-axle pipe that was already in the car. I'm thinking maybe a flex in the mid pipe somewhere may help me. All the hotside and full exhaust is solid with no flex, and the hangars have very little rubber on them. I just think it is in a bind somehow. I'll know as soon as I can get it to a shop.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad to see your loving boost! I know I miss mine man. Motor went south again (machine shop never straightened out the crankshaft from the first time) so now I'm getting rid of my single and going twins.
Glad your having fun man despite all the small setbacks!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
Glad to see your loving boost! I know I miss mine man. Motor went south again (machine shop never straightened out the crankshaft from the first time) so now I'm getting rid of my single and going twins.
Glad your having fun man despite all the small setbacks!
Yeah, luckily nothing major has gone wrong so far, knock on wood. I do miss the instant torque my old 370 used to have. Just a completely different kind of power with this setup. If I keep the car long enough I'd like to go back with a built 6.0+ eventually to get that down low torque.

Sucks about your motor, but once you get it back going with the twins I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the ET Streets mounted up today. I know it'll hook in first from a roll now, so that's a big improvement. Don't know what I'll have to launch it at to get it to leave well (since its a bit laggy done low), but I'll figure it out. I need to hook up my friend's MSD two step that is sitting in my trunk and test it out. One wire to splice in, and its ready to go. Probably going to Lassiter Mountain this weekend to test it out. The picture shows the car still on stands, hence the 4x4 mode

Name:  20150917_162201_zpshhdwtf9j.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  536.1 KB

Quick Reply: My 2001 Camaro SS Huron Speed Build Thread