Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LY6 and boost questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 and boost questions.

Hi, names Matthan. I have a thread in gen IV internal, also have been trying to be helpful in other posts. Now I come to be educated on some things. This forum has much information and I'm reading and learning. I got a LY6 from work, and it goes to the machine shop hopefully in September. This is where your guys help comes in.

I want to put the money where it needs to go. Billet mains, ARP hardware, better rods, pistons and rings. I am planning a twin setup. Some questions in have relate to stroke ratio. When shoooting for a reliable daily driven tt occasional strip monster, how does the stroke ratio affect reliability?

Would it be better to to bore it, stroke it, or just stay stock bore and stroke? I'm going to need pistons, and rods to replace the two that took a beating after two bent valves.

My research shows me that the price difference between different sizes to be negligible if existent, and the same for cranks and rods, except for the difference in price from manufacturer to manufacturer. So if I'm spending the money already, I'm not fussed over small increases for a over bore, or a larger stroke.

I went to the Garrett site and have been reading up on their definitions for different terms I see here like A/R ratio, and such. Could anyone recommend a few threads or sites for further reading to educate myself better on how these effect each other, and power output? To better understand and put together a better system for myself.

Right now I'm considering running twin GT37VAs as they are generally cheap, and I can and have gotten them free from work. They come in 6.0 duramax trucks. We replace em regularly at work, and the only thing wrong is the variable vanes hang up and throw codes. Dealers don't rebuild, they replace. If after educating myself better, I decide the one I have, and another won't do what I want, I'll seek turbos elsewhere, and turn this one into a small jet engine for a go kart of something.

Thanks for your time and any replies, and help given.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The biggest problem with people doing their first builds is that they severely overcomplicate them.

Start with a mostly stock engine, get everything done and running, and then swap out the stock engine at a later date with a built one. All of the LS engines are externally the same size, from a 4.8 to a 454, so swapping in a better long block at a later date would be a very simple process. At least for the duration, you'll be able to figure out the hardware and actually enjoy it.

Billet mains are completely unnecessary, as are a lot of things when it comes to a typical boosted LS engine.

For example, this is the dyno sheet from a stock LY6 with a pair of Chinese turbos:
Old 08-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 and boost questions.

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The biggest problem with people doing their first builds is that they severely overcomplicate them.

Start with a mostly stock engine, get everything done and running, and then swap out the stock engine at a later date with a built one. All of the LS engines are externally the same size, from a 4.8 to a 454, so swapping in a better long block at a later date would be a very simple process. At least for the duration, you'll be able to figure out the hardware and actually enjoy it.

Billet mains are completely unnecessary, as are a lot of things when it comes to a typical boosted LS engine.

For example, this is the dyno sheet from a stock LY6 with a pair of Chinese turbos:
[IMG]https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech.com-vbulletin/1024x576/80-20141025_202719_29900f7c2b80837a37c44d3f39b9f8bdb8 2a0006.jpg[/IMG
Impressive for sure. I don't mean to over complicate my situation. I also don't want to go into this build blind and going with a stock motor just to get it together and have fun isn't very important at this stage, as I haven't got the vehicle to put it in yet. So I've got time to wait and build it for the long run the first time instead of slapping it together. Plus I'll be teaching my kids how to build motors too.

Quick Reply: LY6 and boost questions.