Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PLEASE HELP!Boosted lq9 where to start with timing and a/f

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Do yourself a favor and go to your Holley software and go to "tools box" > "preferences" and check "display pressure as PSIA".

IMO you still have too much timing with the picture you have posted, and your AFR is too fat out of boost.

Here's what my spark looks like:

AFR:

Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Do yourself a favor and go to your Holley software and go to "tools box" > "preferences" and check "display pressure as PSIA".

IMO you still have too much timing with the picture you have posted, and your AFR is too fat out of boost.

Here's what my spark looks like:

AFR:

Thanks. I copied your a/f but went slightly fatter in boost since my compression is 10:1. Out of curiosity what's your combo? I'm assuming u have a swapped Chevelle? BAD ***! Are u a tuner or just tune your own stuff? I thank u for helping me out also. This is all new to me. I can turn a wrench but this computer stuff is another story. Although the Holley makes it a lot easier.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lnorm
Thanks. I copied your a/f but went slightly fatter in boost since my compression is 10:1. Out of curiosity what's your combo? I'm assuming u have a swapped Chevelle? BAD ***! Are u a tuner or just tune your own stuff? I thank u for helping me out also. This is all new to me. I can turn a wrench but this computer stuff is another story. Although the Holley makes it a lot easier.
I had a 6.0 s475 combo in a 69 Chevelle but didnt like it vs the 502 that was in there, so I went back to the BBC in there.

I have an LQ9 s475 in the Mustang now, which just blew up spectacularly so I have a 5.3 going back in this weekend. See sig for more details.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I had a 6.0 s475 combo in a 69 Chevelle but didnt like it vs the 502 that was in there, so I went back to the BBC in there.

I have an LQ9 s475 in the Mustang now, which just blew up spectacularly so I have a 5.3 going back in this weekend. See sig for more details.
Ouch! How'd it blow up? I just called crt performance to schedule my tune. Third week of September!!! That sucks! He told me not to bother with meth injection. He said he can get it to around 15 psi the way it is now! I'm assuming that should be over 700 at the tires.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I can't see any sig's. Maybe cause I'm on mobile.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Teching In

That Holley software looks real nice
Old 08-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Teching In

So the tuner can't get me in for a month! Still running shitty under boost. I screwed around with it on my way home and put my timing at 18 under boost everywhere. It felt better. Went to 20. Felt even better. Went to 22 and even better! Is it possible that my timing doesn't match what the screen says? It's all off of the cam sensor right? I can't sync the timing without a distributer on the Holley efi right? My turbo started smoking as I pulled into my driveway. I think the rubber O ring for the oil inlet is leaking. This is the first time it's actually seen boost. I'm getting really frustrated with this thing. It's almost time to go back to nitrous. It was so much simpler!!!!

Last edited by Lnorm; 08-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lnorm, is your coil packs grounded properly? It is imperative. The Holley harness has 2 small black wires that bolt to the head to ground the coils. Make sure they are bolted to the head well, and I suggest running an extra wire from each head to a good ground. Otherwise you may get erratic sparking.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I was having the same issue, nitrous car to turbo. was running br7s with 29 gap. actually want warmer to TR6 @ 26 gap, and that cleared up my misfire.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Both grounds are to the back of the heads. I have huge grounds everywhere from moving my battery to the back. 0 ga from battery to rear frame rail to front frame rail, then a ground strap to each head that the harness is grounded to. I can't get any ngk non projected plugs around here. I'm going to summit today to get some. I'll get 55 and 6's to try both. Getting a Holley boost solenoid too. I did close my gaps from .030 to .022

Last edited by Lnorm; 08-22-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Got some br7rf plugs in today and $150 msd wires just to rule those out. No change. Locked timing at 18 degrees and I can still feel it loose power when boost kicks in. Changed it to 20 and it's a little better. 22 and a little better. I'm afraid to go any higher. Granted I'm only getting to between 6 & 7 psi but isn't that timing too high? I also noticed my dipstick tube is puking oil on my down pipe under boost. I just have both valve covers running to a vented catch can. I'm assuming I need to do something else with that but what? If I take it to the intake it'll only get vented during vacuum and that's not when I'm having the issue. I have a filter mounted on my turbo cause I have no room for an intake pipe. Any ideas anyone??? Please!!!!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same issue, would only break up in boost, ran fine out of boost, my coils were too close to my flipped up manifolds and wrecked them quickly from the heat. I changed a ton of stuff and when I changed my coils and moved them under the dash, the problem went away. Super impossible situation to track down!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Did u do aftermarket coils or stock? I don't think it's a heat issue but could be a loss of spark from stock coils I guess. I just pulled a couple plugs and the heat line is about 1/16" from the end of the electrode. No signs of detonation. I'm gonna give it more timing and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The stock coils are great unless there is a problem with them. I only had two that were close to heat but evidently one or two bad coils can make them all act weird. I just swapped another set of stock coils on and the problem went away. I don't understand it but it was my problem and it only acted up as soon as it got into a decent amount of boost.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Sub'd
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Well it's been a while since I posted so I figured I'd update in case anyone wanted to know. I ran I to a guy at quaker steak and lube. At show with a sbf twin turbo sn95 with Holley efi. He looked at my timing table and said it was way too low. He said 29 degrees at atmospheric pressure and take out one degree per pound of boost. I was reluctant but tried it.............. It was fast as hell! It felt like it lost some power slightly around 5000-5500 rpm but I'm assuming it's cause I'm at 21 degrees across the board at 8 psi and didn't add any timing I. The upper rpm range. I didn't. Feel or hear any detonation or anything like that. It really felt like a rocket. I only got on it twice on my way home but it felt good. The next morning I'm all excited to drive it on the highway to work and there's a puddle of oil under it. 😢 my rubber turbo drain hose doesn't hold up to the heat when running in boost I guess. So I just got done putting a 4" brass nipple off the drain fitting to get the hose away from the heat and ordered a real drain hose. I'll get to test some more tomorrow since it's so late and I have an open down pipe!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Teching In

New update. Still kinda losing power power under boost. Better than before but not quite right. Found 3 small cracks in intake manifold. Shaved truck intake. I guess it just doesn't have the flexibility needed for boosf after being shaved, plastic welded (loose term done with a soldering iron, and duraglass. I'm in the process of installing an edelbrock pro flo manifold, fuel rails, and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. Will update doon.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Boost leaks are bad...fix them up! What do you mean by "shaved" intake? I trimmed all the misc tabs off the top of my truck intake just so I could close the hood, but these are very superficial and in no way weaken the intake.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:44 AM
Teching In

I did the same. There were I think 6 holes about the size of a quarter in it after everything was off and all the vacuum ports were moved to the back. I took the pieces I cut off and made patches to fill the holes and used a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together and fill in the gaps. Then put a couple layers of duraglas then painted it black. It was cracking where the holes were filled in. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. I could see the intake expanding and contracting going from boost to vacuum. I have pics of the new intake on my phone I can post now. It's all done but hasn't stopped raining since I finished it. I'm meeting the guy buying my nitrous kit in the morning. It'll be my first drive.
Attached Thumbnails PLEASE HELP!Boosted lq9 where to start with timing and a/f-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!Boosted lq9 where to start with timing and a/f