Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ethanol injection????

Old 08-23-2015, 08:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ethanol injection????

This may seem like a stupid question, but why doesn't anyone use Ethanol instead of Methanol for cooling down the intake charge or to prevent detonation on a ump gas setup? Is it easier to ignite and therefore dangerous? It seem to be more readily available at least as E98 by the drum and I do not believe it is as corrosive as Methanol correct?
Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratical
This may seem like a stupid question, but why doesn't anyone use Ethanol instead of Methanol for cooling down the intake charge or to prevent detonation on a ump gas setup? Is it easier to ignite and therefore dangerous? It seem to be more readily available at least as E98 by the drum and I do not believe it is as corrosive as Methanol correct?
Methanol takes it one step further. Higher octane, better cooling properties than ethanol. Pretty sure it would take you a LONG time to spray a full drum worth of methanol. You would have to run through 500+ gallons of gas just under boost before you would use up that drum of methanol, and thats spraying it straight and not mixed with water.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratical

Some do...they just run it as E85 in the main tank and inject via their injectors lol

Or I'm sure you could just run E98 in your main tank provided the system is designed around that fuel.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

It just wouldn't be as cool to say
Eth injection.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spray e85 out of a alky nozzle pre compressor w a 200psi pump.
And it works extremely well. Don't know if the pump will hold up to it. But its been on there since January. It's just a Bolt ons lightning. But it did pick up like 40rw w a tune. System is same as a meth injection kit. But the guy wanted to use e85. He is around corner from a e85 pump station.
Seems to be working fine.
I'm gonna run something similar on my car. W e85 instead of meth/water
Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

The standard meth inj pumps aren't designed for petrol based fuel of any kind. So you can't put e85 or E98 in the tank if it has any "gas" in it. It will eat the pump diaphragm. Pure ethanol would be fine. The guys overseas that can't get meth use cheap 80 proof vodka which is basically ethanol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ethanol injection????