Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

370/F1A round 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 370/F1A round 2

Its been about 3 monts since the other motor messed up while tuning. Heres a little run down of the old setup. It had a stock crank in it which bent all to hell at this power level.

Car made 937/842 on old setup with about 20-21# and 21 degrees timing. Stopped turning timing up as the crappy heads wouldn't stay down

370" iron block
Wiseco -3.2cc pistons, regular wrist pins
Callies compstar rods
Stock crank
head studs
main studs
Ls9 gaskets
Ls3 heads decked .35 (were lifting)
custom Tick Performance blower cam

stock ls3 intake with 90mm TB
Procharger 4" intercooler and 3" pipes

F1A blower with 4.13" pulley
8.65" CBR crank pulley
Aster bracket
no filter
Made about 20-21#

1 7/8" texas speed headers into texas speed true duals with no mufflers

Squash dual 450's, -8 PTFE line to and from, 160# injectors
E85 fuel

9", M6 with Monster LT!-SC twin disc

New Setup:
All the above stayed the same besides
K1 stock stoke crank
upgraded wrist pins
Texas speed PRC 260cc heads with hollow intake valves

I just got it back together and am in the process of breaking the motor back in. Will be on the dyno in the next 2-3 weeks I hope. Maybe it will make a little more power. I just want it to stay together

Name:  0DF2A4E1-9A99-4CB1-A04E-2C473EFE1E98_zpsbytt9syd.jpg
Views: 2534
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  9453EC3D-A5EC-4A0B-A9C8-C0917D44B5EC_zps6dcpsdjq.jpg
Views: 2573
Size:  83.1 KB
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 370/F1A round 2

Nice!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice Greg. We need to get our cars together here soon.

Which Head studs do you got?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

just the regular ARP ones
Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the new build. I just went thru the same crap....(flexed a compstar crank at 900rwhp).

Took me 7 months to rebuild due to the 4 month wait on a Dragsonslayer..

You got yours done pretty quick in only 3 months.

Can't wait to see your track numbers.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
just the regular ARP ones

Good to see you got it back together. Very interested to see what you make.
Originally Posted by ajrothm
Good luck on the new build. I just went thru the same crap....(flexed a compstar crank at 900rwhp).

This is the 3rd compstar crank I've seen that has bit the dust. Two others broke theirs. Wait time sucks! Guy brought one to a shop while I was there and he ordered it back in May/June. Definitely will jump to the dragonslayer on my next build
Old 09-01-2015, 12:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What RPM are you spinnning the car? I have the same pulley combo on my setup at the moment and the car shifts at 6k rpm. I haven't been on the dyno yet so i'm unsure what power it makes.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:22 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ

This is the 3rd compstar crank I've seen that has bit the dust. Two others broke theirs. Wait time sucks! Guy brought one to a shop while I was there and he ordered it back in May/June. Definitely will jump to the dragonslayer on my next build
That's because Callies mediocre line sucks like everyone elses.. Every Callies crank the LME/G&G and HKE build gets sent a local guy in Houston who works them over. I was there today and he was showing me some comp star cranks that where out almost .004 in one direction and .003 in another... Garbage.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah, and what part of triple digit power makes any company's mediocre line sound like a good idea?

You get what you pay for. And if you're planning on surpassing the capabilities of oem components, then you should probably bite the bullet and buy the good stuff, so you only have to buy it once.

Or don't. It's your choice.

It's pretty simple, really. If you can't afford the premium parts, you can't afford that power level. Bunches of people trying to build Bentley's on Chrysler 300 budgets, and wondering why they fail.

Sorry. Rant over.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ajrothm

Im hoping the K1 holds up to the power it makes this time. Im just shooting for mid 6's, high 9's but we will see.

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ

Thanks! Ill keep yall posted.

Originally Posted by 95-1LE-Z28
What RPM are you spinnning the car? I have the same pulley combo on my setup at the moment and the car shifts at 6k rpm. I haven't been on the dyno yet so i'm unsure what power it makes.
About 6800ish. I forgot to mention I swapped out the ls7 lifters for a set of Morel's so that should help everything be stable at higher RPM's.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Yeah, and what part of triple digit power makes any company's mediocre line sound like a good idea?

You get what you pay for. And if you're planning on surpassing the capabilities of oem components, then you should probably bite the bullet and buy the good stuff, so you only have to buy it once.

It's pretty simple, really. If you can't afford the premium parts, you can't afford that power level. Bunches of people trying to build Bentley's on Chrysler 300 budgets, and wondering why they fail.

Sorry. Rant over.
Just to clarify, I actually called a "very reputable" company and was ready to order a aftermarket crank as I figured I was going to make 900ish (so I thought) and they told me it was a waste of money as my stock crank was just fine to "over 1000". My gut told me they were wrong and I needed a aftermarket crank but since they do this more that I, I listened. What a mistake that ended up being. So it wasn't that I wasn't willing to buy a forged crank nor could I not afford it (even though it was a stretch at the time), I was advised not to.Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry. Rant over.
Tell that to the guy that is going 8.1s at 167 on a sbe 5.3..

Greg anytime your ready to trade for the turbo car let me know haha. Can't wait to see this thing in person.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Sorry. Rant over.
Where i agree with most of this, I disagree with your thoughts on the mid level line. Their "mid level" cranks are suppose to hold 1k-1500ish HP. So buying one of these to operate within these ranges is perfectly acceptable. The ones that commonly fail are probably due to crappy machining and no decent QC.. At least that's what ive seen.

Last edited by oscs; 09-02-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have a problem with mid level items. Mid level items are all I can ever expect to afford.

Nor did I ever say that you can't get triple digit power out of oem components.

I simply stated that if you plan on building a motor, specifically with the intentions to surpass the oem equipment, then there is no point buying budget aftermarket parts.

Sure, many aftermarket companies offer spectacular forged crankshafts. And many of them also have a more "budget friendly" offering, as well. And that aforementioned mediocre aftermarket crank is going to have all the same cost saving shortcuts as the stock crank, so why bother?

The purpose of buying aftermarket parts is for better materials and more attention put into every part... as in not mass-produced, oem assembly line. So why would you buy the cheap aftermarket stuff when you are already planning on surpassing the capabilities of the original equipment?

Sure, we can't all afford what's his name, Bryant(?), badass billet crankshafts, or even magnum xl cranks, for that matter. But if you think you have what it takes to build/handle/drive a motor that exceeds the capabilities of the original equipment... Then you better be able to afford it. Start saving, rob a bank, sell a child, it doesn't matter. But don't pay good money for mediocre aftermarket parts.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:42 PM
8 Second Club

I don't have a problem with mid level items. Mid level items are all I can ever expect to afford.

Nor did I ever say that you can't get triple digit power out of oem components.

I simply stated that if you plan on building a motor, specifically with the intentions to surpass the oem equipment, then there is no point buying budget aftermarket parts.

Sure, many aftermarket companies offer spectacular forged crankshafts. And many of them also have a more "budget friendly" offering, as well. And that aforementioned mediocre aftermarket crank is going to have all the same cost saving shortcuts as the stock crank, so why bother?

The purpose of buying aftermarket parts is for better materials and more attention put into every part... as in not mass-produced, oem assembly line. So why would you buy the cheap aftermarket stuff when you are already planning on surpassing the capabilities of the original equipment?

Sure, we can't all afford what's his name, Bryant(?), badass billet crankshafts, or even magnum xl cranks, for that matter. But if you think you have what it takes to build/handle/drive a motor that exceeds the capabilities of the original equipment... Then you better be able to afford it. Start saving, rob a bank, sell a child, it doesn't matter. But don't pay good money for mediocre aftermarket parts.
No one claimed you said "you can't get triple digit power out of oem components" and like i said i agree to a certain extent. There is a reason why i still have a factory crank. However GM cranks and comp stars are not one in the same and there is something to be said about superior materials used in construction. If you are educated on common issues with the mid level cranks and prepared to address them than there is absolutely a purpose for them.

With that said.. I wouldn't put one in my car (thought about it for a long time) but understand why people do. My money would go to a dragonslayer as they are not priced that much higher and have a turn key US manufacturing process.

Last edited by oscs; 09-02-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

The price difference between the mediocre line and the dragonslayer, in this case, isn't big enough to warrant cheaping out on a big power build. It is just not sensible to buy the lesser of the two when your plans are for power.

Entry-level forged crankshafts, in my under-educated opinion, are for high rpm, naturally aspirated applications.

Big boy crankshafts for big boy power. You get what you pay for. You have to pay to play. However you want to say it. There are varying levels of parts for various levels of builds, and when you are already planning on 1000 horsepower as a minimum bar for success, you should be planning on using the upper tier of available parts.

Once again, that is just my over-voiced, under-educated opinion.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:21 PM
8 Second Club

The price difference between the mediocre line and the dragonslayer, in this case, isn't big enough to warrant cheaping out on a big power build. It is just not sensible to buy the lesser of the two when your plans are for power.

Entry-level forged crankshafts, in my under-educated opinion, are for high rpm, naturally aspirated applications.

Big boy crankshafts for big boy power. You get what you pay for. You have to pay to play. However you want to say it. There are varying levels of parts for various levels of builds, and when you are already planning on 1000 horsepower as a minimum bar for success, you should be planning on using the upper tier of available parts.

Once again, that is just my over-voiced, under-educated opinion.

It is a good opinion and i think we are hitting on the same points here. One thing to consider which i was going to reference earlier but was to lazy to type it all out is the application. The entry level cranks are great for N/A stuff but also work really well in a turbo application as Turbo chargers are by far the easiest on components in the FI world. By no means would i or any reputable builder recommend a "mediocre" crankshaft for a 4 digit S/C build.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oscs
It is a good opinion and i think we are hitting on the same points here. One thing to consider which i was going to reference earlier but was to lazy to type it all out is the application. The entry level cranks are great for N/A stuff but also work really well in a turbo application as Turbo chargers are by far the easiest on components in the FI world. By no means would i or any reputable builder recommend a "mediocre" crankshaft for a 4 digit S/C build.
Ill be testing this theory haha. I should be close to the 4 digit club this go round. When I talked to K1 about their crank for my build they said I would have no issue. We shall see.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SCott5
Tell that to the guy that is going 8.1s at 167 on a sbe 5.3..

Greg anytime your ready to trade for the turbo car let me know haha. Can't wait to see this thing in person.
hahaha, come on by any time
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 PM
8 Second Club

Default 370/F1A round 2

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
Ill be testing this theory haha. I should be close to the 4 digit club this go round. When I talked to K1 about their crank for my build they said I would have no issue. We shall see.
Your alright man. I should have been more specific. When I'm talking four digits I'm talking 1300WHP range the (middle ground) if you will.

Quick Reply: 370/F1A round 2