Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what should i do for a boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default what should i do for a boost controller

what is everyone doing for a boost controller? should i set'em and forget'em or try an electronic boost controller? what are the pros and cons of all the options? Im brand new to turbo charging so excuse my ignorance. lol!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

There is no simple answer until you decide what you actually need.

Do you need multiple levels of boost, do you need boost to ramp in with speed for example etc etc ?

If simply running off the gate does what you need, then you can keep it as simple as that.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will spend a lot of time on the street but it will see some track time. I decided to go twin 6766s
Old 08-29-2015, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what should i do for a boost controller

Good question as once i feel mine at 14-15# I know I'll want more at times but i also know different boost levels require different tunes. Following this for info
Old 08-29-2015, 11:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a gforce2 controller
They do just about everything an eboost 2 does for half the price
Old 08-30-2015, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I am new to turbos also but not to boost, had a bunch of supercharged cars.
I found the wastegate thing a little over whelming with all the diff options,
diff springs, boost ref before, after TB, bottom port, top port, both ports, can
drive you to drinking, lol
Since most of my driving is street anymore, I kind of feel I need to use a controller to raise boost, not limit it-an example is lets say your wastegate is set for 15 PSI, and you use a controller to get it down to 10 on the street (you want the ability to raise it if hitting a track)-something happens to the boost line, and it hits 15 on the street, you could damage the engine
I am still swapping around springs (JGS 50mm) and lines trying diff things to come up with what I want-I have a controller with a cable inside and a **** I can raise/lower boost, smaller inner spring, and line to both ports, ref line in intake-still playing around with it
Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Boost control is simple, but too many people try and complicate it.

If you have a 15psi spring in the gate, then unless you use a high pressure air source to blow the gate open, you cannot run lower than base spring pressure.

Some people like using CO2, for a street car I see it as rather pointless, unless you're street racing or something where you really need to have a range of boost from almost zero.

A good controller and setup can give you a good wide range of boost options from base spring pressure upwards.

Obviously with any setup there will eventually be mechanical limitations with what can be achieved though.

For street multiple boost levels are good, abilities to ramp boost with either gear or road speed is good etc etc.

If you buy a decent engine control ecu, it should also give you many of these options without the use of an external controller.

Quick Reply: what should i do for a boost controller