Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stranded with bad map with sd tuned 99 ls1

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Stranded with bad map with sd tuned 99 ls1

My map came undone just a little and let me stranded and i wanted able to get it fixed there so i had to get the car triple a'd . No biggie as i have the plus package but my question is this .

Any way to have a map go bad or unplugged and be sd tuned and not get stranded ?

Last year my map did go bad and the car just idles and takes not throttle input .

I thought dodges were mafless tunes , how do they get around it if the map goes bad and get ls1 pcm be made to not get stranded with a bad map if your sd tuned ??
Old 08-29-2015, 07:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You are talking about getting speed density tuned so I am thinking you mean the Mass Air Flow sensor gave you the issue and not the Manifold Air Pressure sensor? If it was just the MAF there are a lot of tuners out there who tune SD and a lot that actually prefer it with a forced inducted car. If you are actually talking about the MAP sensor, I do not believe you can tune your car without that especially supercharged.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

i already am sd tuned and have been for 2 or 3 years . The map sensor went bad last year and i was stranded , the car would just idle , any revs and it stalls or wants to stall .
Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without having anything to measure the air for the car I wouldn't think there is a way to run the vehicle without the MAP if the car was strictly SD tuned.

What sensor are you getting that is failing? I had a DPE 2.5 that I would have issues with. Got it from a buddy who bought it for boost plans for his C6Z and it would randomly flat line. Now we know why he got a good deal on the used sensor. Took a good day of chasing around and swapping in the old map sensor before I realized it was junk.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah ok. Can you just make an adapter fitting for the intake and mount the MAP on the firewall where it would be easy to get to? I know it won't stop the MAP from going bad, but at least with a backup in the glove box you won't get stranded if it does.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

last year i had a map fail this year it just became unclipped or unplugged . But was just curious if it would run and drive if it went bad . And how the other brands do it , or how did gm do it in the last 3rd gens that were sd tuned.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAP is required for the SD tuning, you take that out of the equation and you are shooting in the dark. All of them use a MAP or MAF sensor of some sort to measure the airflow to determine fueling.

Quick Reply: Stranded with bad map with sd tuned 99 ls1