Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Very little space for turbo filter...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Very little space for turbo filter...any suggestions?

Ok, here's the deal. I recently purchased this 2001 Firehawk from dschmittie1 here on tech. The car has done very well on the dragstrip in the past, running a best of 8.62@157 on 19lbs. At any rate, I will be street driving the car for the most part, and would like to filter the intake air. The only problem is, things are very cramped around the turbo inlet. Dan was nice enough to take some pics..does anybody have any ideas about how I could attach a filter?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Very little space for turbo filter...any suggestions?-img_8308.jpg   Very little space for turbo filter...any suggestions?-img_6309.jpg   Very little space for turbo filter...any suggestions?-img_3645.jpg   Very little space for turbo filter...any suggestions?-img_0726.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a turboguard and haven't had any issues. It's not a filter but more of a screen
Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Need to relocate an inlet of some sort. I like to use 5" alum jointed dryer duct and then fiberglass over it when done. You can get a little tighter with a million tiny piecuts and alot of welding but this is quick and easy...

You can pull the segments apart and add to them for one longer seamless piece. This also let me eliminate the “crinkled” end pieces. There’s even a rolled bead on the end for your couplers. Made 4 of these so far and they are all holding up great. Very strong, and light weight.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Interesting...I was thinking a sort of jointed extension might be the key. In the meantime, I suppose I can just run that turboguard screen. If they don't affect airflow as much as people have said, that might not be a bad option. It's pretty dusty in my part of the country though, so I'll eventually have to figure something out.

Thanks for the input, fellas.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hard to tell from the pics , but a cobra head elbow will give the tightest 90 deg bend if you have room to remotely mount a filter elsewhere.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johnv
hard to tell from the pics , but a cobra head elbow will give the tightest 90 deg bend if you have room to remotely mount a filter elsewhere.
I really do appreciate these ideas. The biggest issue is clearing the remote water pump on the passenger's side of the radiator. If I can clear that, there is easily room for a 90 degree bend and big filter toward the driver's side.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Need to relocate an inlet of some sort. I like to use 5" alum jointed dryer duct and then fiberglass over it when done. You can get a little tighter with a million tiny piecuts and alot of welding but this is quick and easy...

You can pull the segments apart and add to them for one longer seamless piece. This also let me eliminate the “crinkled” end pieces. There’s even a rolled bead on the end for your couplers. Made 4 of these so far and they are all holding up great. Very strong, and light weight.

That is great! I used a floor vent for the air intake on my car. Even used a clear vent deflector as a small scoop.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Could a small panel filter with a shroud on the back to clamp it onto the turbo work?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JJMclure
Could a small panel filter with a shroud on the back to clamp it onto the turbo work?
That actually occurred to me, it would be interesting to see how a filter like that would affect air flow.

I did order a turbo guard screen earlier this week. I know there is a lot of negative feedback concerning screens, but I wanted something protecting the turbo while the motor is being tuned.

Quick Reply: Very little space for turbo filter...any suggestions?