Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Please school me on blowers and the reason for a camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Please school me on blowers and the reason for a camshaft

All speaking with a stock bottom end I'm trying to keep alive. I have an early LS2 with a D1SC on an otherwise untouched engine (besides Bolton's of course). Rather then putting a camshaft in to increase airflow, why can't one just pulley down? Is it sound only or is there more merit to it?

Thanks for schooling the blower newb in advance!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is for added power. You can pulley down, or install a cam. Both will add power. Please do not over do a untouched engine with too much pulley or cam, you will hurt it$$$$.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The purpose of changing your cam when adding boost is to make more efficient use of the increased air mass. Not only does it increase power and efficiency, but also safety and durability.

Your stock cam is designed to open and close the valves in a specific sequence in order to "trap" cylinder pressure in a naturally aspirated application.

You are now forcing a greater air mass into the cylinder, and thusly you are effecting the pressure inside the cylinder, as well as the characteristics of how that pressure builds.

If your naturally aspirated cam closes the intake valve too early, or opens the exhaust valve too late, pressure could build too much, too fast, and $#!+ starts to break.

A lot of naturally aspirated cams use way more overlap than boosted cams. Overlap in a boosted motor just lets your intake charge escape straight out your exhaust.

Most oem cams are mild enough and have little overlap, due to emissions, and work well for boost. That is purely coincidental.

A well designed blower cam will do far more than any pulley change, because it allows your engine to better use the boost.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

For best results (prioritized by importance):

Good cam.
Ported heads.
Smaller pulley.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
All speaking with a stock bottom end I'm trying to keep alive. I have an early LS2 with a D1SC on an otherwise untouched engine (besides Bolton's of course). Rather then putting a camshaft in to increase airflow, why can't one just pulley down? Is it sound only or is there more merit to it?

Thanks for schooling the blower newb in advance!
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...d-Camshaft.htm

My blower cam has proven itself over the years. It has a great sound and really picks up the hp. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Please school me on blowers and the reason for a camshaft