Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Hi guys, I have a built 5.3 turbo that made 1000ho atw, but. Keep having issues.
First I blew ls9 gaskets 4 times in a shirt period, but always in cylinder 1. so I ended up putting beryllium rings in. After putting new rings and bearings, and retuning, all seemed fine until I did my first oil change and noticed bearing material In the oil, the mains are flooded out, after only dyno session and 150kms of driving.
I did notice the no 2 piston and no 4 have the arrow facing back instead of forward, so obviously are mixed up. Being that it was balanced previously, can this put it out of bslance and cause main bearing failure?
Before I had the beryllium rings installed, it didn't have bearing issues.
My next question is, number one cylinder and piston are a noticeably darker colour than the rest, and ther is sort of a darker stain on the thrust side of the bore. All other bores are clean and the cross hatching looks new, but on no 1 it looks worn.
Is it possible that maybe my turbo is to close to the corner of the head? It's pretty much touching because of room. Could it be the heat?.

Block is 5.3, dowel end caps, half grout filled, forged pistons and aftermarket rods.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt heat from the turbo itself is your issue. My guess is that you have a fueling or timing issue going on. What fuel are you running? E85? pump? Pump with meth? Intercooling?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:48 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
I doubt heat from the turbo itself is your issue. My guess is that you have a fueling or timing issue going on. What fuel are you running? E85? pump? Pump with meth? Intercooling?
Yeah e85, intercooled, intake temp is 10degrees above ambient. There's a little bit of water in the oil. And no 1 piston us still darker than the otheers, and cyl 1 has a Estonian tinge on the thrust side. I think no 1 cyl has some diet of issue where it leaks water under boost over 20 psi. As I've said, before I installed the berrylium rings, I pushed water out the side of cylinder 1 4 times with is9 gaskets
Old 09-08-2015, 06:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

W/O knowing much about the engine, I would be a little worried about the pistons if they are in wrong-if the rods are in wrong, and are the type that use a radius on the rod to clear the crank fillet, and are in wrong, I could see tearing up the rod bearing-also some pistons use an offset pin to help on the thrust side of the piston, so that can affect things, and some rods are offset on the small end-stuff has to be installed right
The rest could be fuel dist. problems, tune, etc
Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
W/O knowing much about the engine, I would be a little worried about the pistons if they are in wrong-if the rods are in wrong, and are the type that use a radius on the rod to clear the crank fillet, and are in wrong, I could see tearing up the rod bearing-also some pistons use an offset pin to help on the thrust side of the piston, so that can affect things, and some rods are offset on the small end-stuff has to be installed right
The rest could be fuel dist. problems, tune, etc
Yeah I will sort the Pistons around for sure. As for where the water is coming from, I don't know, it has to be in cyl 1, but nothing's visible. I might just get it re sleeved .
Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

What does your intake setup look like???
Old 09-08-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've pushed water once, without replacing what's needed, you'll do it (and sounds like you are currently) again.

Quick Reply: Need help please