Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dual vs single catch can with Procharger LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual vs single catch can with Procharger LS1?

What would the benefit be if I run a dual catch can setup on my Procharged FIrebird Formula? I can't get a response from Saikou Michi for their dual catch can.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

pcv system has a dirty side and a clean side
-clean side is where clean filtered air comes into the crankcase from air filter/box/tubing
-dirty side is where air is sucked out of crankcase by vacuum at the intake manifold to be consumed by the engine

there is a pcv valve or restricted orifice on the dirty side to regulate the vacuum assist.

during all vac conditions there is normal flow direction from clean side to dirty due to the vacuum. and this would be your primary catch can location, to keep oil /fuel/water/heavy deposits from landing in the combustion chamber.

at wide open (n/a) there is hardly and vacuum and as well since you are under full load you are making more crankcase fumes than normal driving so the flow turns to positive pressure.
-this pressure follows the path of least resistance, either on into the intake (still slightly lower than atmospheric) or to go toward the air filter, which is now generating some vac because of the high airflow it is filtering
-in boost this situation is further complicated, without adding a check valve in the dirty line you can pass boost directly in the crankcase, which would cause a huge spike of flow backward out the clean side.
-but even with a check valve you now see only 1 exit path for any accumulating blow by (out the clean side)

that is why people want or think they want dual catch cans.

HOWEVER if there was such a catch can that relieves this blow by on the spot out of the can, then all is right with the world and a second can not necessary
Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

im running one of daves pcv catch cans on my procharged 99 ls1 . works awesome ,
Old 09-18-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
im running one of daves pcv catch cans on my procharged 99 ls1 . works awesome ,
X2, I switched from a old rx can I used before I went FI.

Quick Reply: Dual vs single catch can with Procharger LS1?