Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

School me on meth injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:16 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default School me on meth injection

I'm debating on putting my car on gas as e85 is becoming more difficult to find. My main question is how do you know how much to spray?

Also when do you turn it on? I was thinking of going with simple system to kick on at a certain boost level, at that point in my ve table I assume I will need to pull fuel out. But what a/f ratio do you target when running methanol?

Which is better to run? Straight methanol or a mix of water and methanol? I have seen where some just run windshield wiper fluid cause its cheap.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you called any of the companies that sell these meth kits? I'm sure they could point you in the right direction
Old 10-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Most companies include several nozzles with their kits and give a recommendation of which nozzle to use for which power level.

For example, the Snow kit I just put in my Nova recommended the largest nozzle (size 6) for 600+ whp. So that's the one I went with.

A water/meth mix will almost always be better. Water cools better and provides more detonation resistance. It cleans your pistons, valves, and plugs, and it keeps stock cast pistons a lot cooler to help them last longer.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (12-24-2021)
Old 10-10-2015, 04:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

use Meth/Water as an IAT cooler...not as an octane boost

try to keep it to a level that equals 10-12% of your total fuel flow for best results...
you can use more...but it will usually hurt power as you add more and more.

so if you use a total of 600lb/hr of fuel... you will need around 60lb/hr of water/meth blend at the high side of things...

if you try to use it as an octane crutch to turn up the boost...just remember..its only as good as your distribution...
the cylinder that gets the least amount of water/meth will be the one that becomes an ashtray first

if you want real octane protection... use a fuel with more octane...110, 116, C16 etc...
Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn’t the methanol help increase octane?

My combo is like many out there. I have a front mount single turbo. I was running e85 on a stock motor, but am currently in the process of building the engine. Because of limited e85 stations in my area it makes sense to switch back to pump gas and use water/meth injection. I should be good to crank up the boost even higher now, correct? Seems like a lot of people run pretty high hp numbers on pump while injecting water/meth. I don’t want anything crazy, but 700-800hp would be nice when I turn up the boost.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

gpr, what is your setup? What c/i, what turbo, injectors at fuel pressure and boost are you running? I am guessing your looking at using 91octane?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in your boat 2 years ago and called Julio at Alky control. He was able to answer a lot of questions and hook me up with a really nice kit.

Use straight meth and it does a better job of fighting detonation.

Dont really pay much attention to the iat reading if your spraying meth before the sensor. People get caught up in those numbers and they dont mean much.

I run 30 gph of meth from 2 nozzles. Thats a lot of meth and should be used if you are in the 1000hp range.

If you are in the 600hp range just run 1 15gph nozzle about 12 inches from the tb and before the iat sensor. You do this not to tell your friends that you have 50 degree iats but to set your tune up to pull out timing if your iats go above what it normally reads with meth on.

I send my pump in every 2 years for a rebuild as straight meth is tough on the pump seals. Also you need a really high quality kit for straight meth.

Last thing I wont go into much because it needs another section but tune and log in lambda not afr. Lambda tells you the stioch no matter what combination of fuel you are using so it clears things up when mixing gas, ethanol and methanol.

Alex
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (12-24-2021)
Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the help. Yeah i need to get use to tuning lambda, i just have gotten use to afr on a gas scale even though running e85, as some gauges will only read on a gas scale...

Currently my ls1 spun a bearing, so I'm looking at going with water/meth and convert back to 91 pump. My big concern was running an engine 10:1 compression with 91 octane if i would be save injecting water/meth and turning up the boost. (before i was only running 10psi, and if i build a motor i will go higher)

Reason I want to keep the compression ratio higher in the 10:1 area, is i live at 5000ft elevation, and low compression motors are lazy off boost. This is just a fun street car I might occasionally take to the track.

I like the idea of running windshield wiper fluid, as it would have a dummy light when the tank is low, and is available everywhere. If I have to run straight methanol I might as well stick to e85...

If I have a forged engine can I safely run 20psi on 91 octane with water/meth with a 7875 turbonetics turbo? Or would i need straight methanol at that point?
Old 10-17-2015, 06:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Does anyone still use windshield washer fluid-always wondered if getting meth was hard
Old 10-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Does anyone still use windshield washer fluid-always wondered if getting meth was hard
I have a 3 quart tank. I fill it 2 quarts with -20*F windshield washer fluid, and then throw in a yellow 12-ounce bottle of HEET.

-20*F windshield washer fluid is roughly 30% methanol. So 2 quarts contains 19.2 ounces of methanol and 44.8 ounces of water. I throw in a 12 ounce bottle of yellow HEET (99.9% methanol) for a total of 31.2 ounces methanol/44.8 ounces of water which gives me roughly 40% methanol and 60% water. You can adjust accordingly.

Quick Reply: School me on meth injection