Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

please help charging issues on boosted lsx

Old 11-24-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
For years I had no problem with my alternator, even had it repaired after a failure ( PAS leak killed it )

Next time I replaced it with a new unit mainly for convenience. This one would always stop charging about 6k.

So repaired and refitted the old again....another few years pass and again it failed. Same place repaired it locally, and all seemed well. Except now over 6k it would stop charging too.

Clearly it's something to do with the regulator/rectifier inside that it doesnt like.

I bought a 170A unit from these guys, and also had them fit a slightly larger pulley to reduce alternator speed.

https://alternatorparts.com/cs130-cs...ternators.html

Been using it last 2-3 years and it's been perfect
Stevie what's your max rpms? I went with a slightly larger pulley (2.75") at still run into issues (although better) around 6000 rpms. I'm going to try a 3.5" pulley next.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Dont often go over 7k, but have on occasion. I use a normal full size crank pulley.

The problem is with your alternator or the regulator/rectifier circuits. Why they're affected by rpm I dont know.

The alternator that worked most was OEM, the one that never worked at rpm was a cheaper aftermarket unit.

But after the OEM unit had a couple of different repairs, ie new reg/rectifiers fitted first time was fine, second it exhibited the same problems.

I did buy and fit a new regulator after this myself, but as I bought the uprated alternator I havent needed to try it since this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: please help charging issues on boosted lsx