Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twincharging question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twincharging question

DISCLAIMER: So, I know putting a Turbo could be used instead of twincharging, but I am wanting more performance without having to spend much money(in my particular scenario).

Question: I am wondering if you guys think this will work/what modifications I will need/how bad is this idea...

Background: I have a 3800 Series 2 supercharged engine in a rear engine open wheel car that I built from scratch(almost finished with the build). The engine is out of a 1998 buick riviera. My uncle builds & works on airplanes and has a turbo meant to turbonormalize a 540 cubic inch airplane engine. The turbo is locked up, but can be rebuilt and he no longer has the engine he intended to use it on.

I am planning to plumb this turbo into the system(resulting in the MAF & IAT sensor being between the turbo and SC along with an IC & wastegate). The engine is mostly stock putting out 6-8psi. The modifications I've made are cold air intake, 180 T-stat, modified exhaust, colder heat range spark plugs.

I am figuring that the turbo will make 5-6psi of boost when spooled and probably wont spool up until 3500-4000rpm. beneath that range, the SC will just be pulling air through the turbo.

I haven't built any of the rear enclosure around the engine yet and my exhaust is pretty simple, so it shouldnt be that hard to get everything set up. I also dont have to work about space constraints.

I am figuring that between rebuilding the turbo and adding an IC & wastegate(ebay specials) I shouldnt have to spend more than $500-600. (i've got full access to a machine shop and will probably be able to find scrap tubing to plumb in the turbo)

Thoughts?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Well first of all thats a pretty sweet rig for a home built job. Nice.
Buick Riv's haven't had a V8 since the 70s or early 80s (i think)... this being a LS motor forum, you might end up getting better answers elsewhere.
I highly doubt a turbo meant for a big block is going to operate anywhere in it's efficiency range hanging off a V6. But for HAHA's, you really need to determine the specs of that turbo to get any remotely accurate advice on it. Also, need to know which Riv motor you have.
You're going to spend more than 500-600 with out a doubt. In addition to the items you listed, you'll also need to upgrade your fuel system and find a way to tune it (not sure if HP tuners works on your motor), probably will need at least valve springs if not valve springs and a cam. Will the internals of the motor take much more power, will rest of the drive train actually take much more power? Luckily, you have weight on your side.
I think you would spend less money, have an easier time and make more power by ditching the SC all together and just going with an appropriately sized single turbo set up and well thought out cam. Chinese VS-racing stuff. Thats not to say it can't be done. I just think it will end up being more complex than it really needs to be. Post up some more specific info on your drive train and maybe someone will be able to give you a better answer than my ramble here.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Teching In

SenorThumpy,

I probably should have also stated that I already have HP Tuners Pro.

Regarding the performance & reliability of the stock components, everything can handle 12-13psi pretty easily(about all I want anyway). The stock injectors will also be good to these numbers. Engine is a L67 3.8LV6 Trans 4T-65e HD. Car weight: 2200lbs. People have been dropping the SC pulley size and getting 12psi of boost out of these engines with about the same upgrades I have. I just think it would be interesting to add a turbo instead.

Funnily enough, I've asked about this stuff on Buick & V6 forums and they have said to go here for twincharging info.

Conceptually, my question is no different than If I had a LS motor underneath the blower.

Assuming the engine & drive train can handle it and that I can tune the car to deal with the added boost at higher RPMs, what else would I need/any issues?
Old 11-25-2015, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

well in that case, if all you really need to do is rebuild the turbo (the specs would still be helpful) and plumb it up, there isn't really that much involved. You seem to have all the big stuff covered. Do you have a place to get an oil feed & return from? boost controller? Thats really the last basic thing i can think of. pcv system is already set up for boost... I don't have enough experience with running both a SC & a turbo to really go any further technically speaking.
Conceptually, the question is the same and i think what your talking about will work. I think the biggest question right now is that turbo, how its going to behave with such a smaller motor behind it than its designed for. Also, how will a restriction in the exhaust like a turbo impact the performance of the SC? I guess a cam isn't really important to getting this to work but a cam for a SC motor and turbo motor are pretty different, i'm sure a well spec'd cam would make a good difference.
Cool project, hopefully someone else will have more/better input.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Why not go with a small single turbo that will spool at 2000 RPM and make 400 HP? They're all over ebay for $200.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Why not go with a small single turbo that will spool at 2000 RPM and make 400 HP? They're all over ebay for $200.
Exactly
Old 11-27-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Saying the engine and fuel system can handle 12-13 psi can not be a blanket statement. 12 psi with a 50mm turbo is not going to be the same outcome at 12 psi with a 100mm turbo. You really need to know what the turbo is before you just slap it on.

Quick Reply: Twincharging question