Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil Lines for Precision Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Oil Lines for Precision Turbo

I have a front mount turbo setup on my LT4 F-body using a Precision T76GTSH (journal turbo) with a .96A/R. Since day one I've been having an issue with oil coming out of the exhaust. It is going thorough the cold side of the turbo as well.

I had a turbo bypass pipe made to verify it's not the motor itself, and a pump was even installed to try and pull the oil through the turbo. After doing research, I want to check if I'm running the right setup on the oil intake and drainage line for the turbo. I know right now I have a -4AN fitting on the oil inlet side. I've seen many suggestions for running a .08" restrictor, but not sure how that's comparable for what I have already.

On the exit line, I'm having a hard time figuring out what lines I have on there (this was all installed years ago and it's been sitting there). Ont the actual, the inside diameter is .5", and the outer diameter of the braided hose is .8". I want to run a -12AN line on the exit. How can I determine what I have now?

I can't seem to attach the pics right now as the files are too large. I'll try to resize and post tomorrow. Any insight from the info I've given so far though?

Last edited by Snorkelface; 12-09-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

-8an is about 1/2" so that probably what you have. The wrench size should be around 7/8" of not mistaken
Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just measure it. You want to match the ID of the drain port on the turbo to the ID of drain line. Keep bends minimal and make sure you let gravity do the work.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Launching!

You say its front mount. Is it mounted high enough for it to have good flow back to the pan?
Old 12-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Turbowerx pump, with a -10an line, otherwise you are just gonna waste time.

Also, what oil are you running?

My setup did not like thinner oil but is fine with T3 stuff
Old 12-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Launching!

I'll check the brand of the pump I have there to pull the oil through. The oil in it is just the break in oil of the new motor. I'm about to change it to Rotella: probably a 10W40.

I think there's an adapter on the fitting upping it to a larger diameter hose. I think I'll just have to take off the fittings to measure the actual drain hose itself so I know for sure.

Does the -4AN sound too big for the feed line? I'm a bit unsure how that compares to the restrictors suggested.

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Turbowerx pump, with a -10an line, otherwise you are just gonna waste time.

Also, what oil are you running?

My setup did not like thinner oil but is fine with T3 stuff
Old 12-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Launching!

4an is correct feed. Any chance the pump is backwards?
Old 12-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I have the same turbo and prob the same kit, no issues with a 4an feed.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming since your using a return pump the turbo is mounted low?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Well, I will double check the pump flow, but that would be really funny if that's the case! haha.

It is a PTK Gen II kit if that's what you have.

I think I'll add a breather to the driver's side valve over (passenger side is already venting to the intake side of the turbo) and double check the oil lines routing to the pump. Even if I don't add a restrictor, I'm going to make sure I'm running -12AN on the outlet. I really want to get this figured out without sending the turbo back with their 1 month turn around.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Lines for Precision Turbo-oil-inlet-fitting.jpg   Oil Lines for Precision Turbo-oil-drain-id.jpg   Oil Lines for Precision Turbo-oil-drain-od.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Launching!

It is a Turbowerx pump mounted correctly. It has a 1/2" fitting mated to a -10AN line. I'm going to replace that flange with -10AN and also install a valve cover breather...hopefully that will do it...

Originally Posted by Snorkelface
Well, I will double check the pump flow, but that would be really funny if that's the case! haha.

It is a PTK Gen II kit if that's what you have.

I think I'll add a breather to the driver's side valve over (passenger side is already venting to the intake side of the turbo) and double check the oil lines routing to the pump. Even if I don't add a restrictor, I'm going to make sure I'm running -12AN on the outlet. I really want to get this figured out without sending the turbo back with their 1 month turn around.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

And of course you know...oil in the top and out the bottom.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Assuming your drain is good, you may end up having to run a restrictor anyway. I ended up trying it with mine because it was getting to where I was looking at having to send my nearly new turbo back in, and I was scared from the Precision Turbo "non-warranty" horror stories...

I think I ended up with a .070 or .080 nitrous jet in the feed line at the turbo, and it worked like a champ for years after that.

Quick Reply: Oil Lines for Precision Turbo