Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cam Gurus step in

Old 12-13-2015, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cam Gurus step in

If this needs to be moved- move it!

Car will have a 5.3/T88 or twin China 70s. Ls1 intake. M6. Top end power is paramount

I trash picked this cam (no joke) from a local shop. Has a scored jounral I will fix. Made 860whp on a twin 35r GTO with a 6.0, and carried power to 7200 rpm. But, will this work well in a 5.3? Seems like a lot of lift.

Duration at .050 - 240/244
Lift with 1.7 - .620/.603

Opinions welcome!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Than means jack **** without a lobe separation and ICL
Old 12-14-2015, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Top end power is paramount...with cheap chinese turbos ? Almost seems counter productive ?

And regardless of LSA etc, that sounds like a hell of a big cam for a 5.3, maybe once over 5-6k as long as EGBP is nice and low, maybe it will work ok.

I dont think I'd want to risk it though but others will have more experience
Old 12-14-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Than means jack **** without a lobe separation and ICL
Lobe separation 114
Intake center line 110

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Top end power is paramount...with cheap chinese turbos ? Almost seems counter productive ?

And regardless of LSA etc, that sounds like a hell of a big cam for a 5.3, maybe once over 5-6k as long as EGBP is nice and low, maybe it will work ok.

I dont think I'd want to risk it though but others will have more experience
Twin 78/75's certainly wont do anything on the low end The car is a 1/2 mile/standing mile car-so low end be dammed!

Its a big cam, but the follow up would be what is a "medium" cam that will truly carry power to 7500+rpm if I need it?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

It's all very well saying low end be damned, but going too big can kill power at the low end, make it very crap to spool, and do almost nothing at the top end to make up for the loss at the lower areas.

Whereas a milder cam just works everywhere.

If it's a mile car, the last thing you want is it to be a dog every time you change gear.

IMO the biggest hurt to wanting 7500rpm+ is probably the LS1 intake....but a bigger cam may get you there

IMO the lift isnt the concern for a 5.3, the duration and potential overlap may be of more concern.

If you have it, try it.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with you 100% avergae power is very important, and for easy and enjoyment of street driving, paramount.

I agree the Ls1 intake may hurt top end flow-but after making near 900whp with a stcok intake and cam, I am not so worried about it. It will be interesting to see what the graph looks like after 6500rpm, as I think the car it came off of had a Fast intake so I have a base of comparrison.

I guess a good way to look at my question is if this cam could be changed to be better for a turbo car looking for power from 5500-7500, what would be the change and why? Im just not swift on LS cam theory
Old 12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

What lobes are they also? You are going to need to stick a few bucks into this top end to do what you want I think. Look into the lobes, springs and valve weight, etc. One of the newer intakes would be a good investment also as mentioned.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowride
What lobes are they also? You are going to need to stick a few bucks into this top end to do what you want I think. Look into the lobes, springs and valve weight, etc. One of the newer intakes would be a good investment also as mentioned.
I will stick bucks into nothing! Want to keep it around the $5500 total build cost. I sold the turbo kit for 3k, so I have some room to make improvements. The heads are stock, but have unknown dual springs (came off a parts motor I got for dirt)

I mean hell I am trying to use a cam I trash picked for goodness sake!

Now what do you mean what "lobes"? You speaking of ramp rate? Its a CamMotion Cam, I am not sure they offer different ram rates per say. I have a call into them to get more info.

After doing some reading it looks like there is a lot of debate on overlap/lift for turbo applications. But in the end-there is a LOT of opinion and very little fact. Even the guys going fast say what worked for one combo did not work for another. Most people say you want less overlap, but some of the fastest guys that actually shared their experience showed the best MPH/ET with the highest overlap cams they tried.

Oye

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Gurus step in